Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » need help on sealing around radiator

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: need help on sealing around radiator
Bellwilliam Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

is sealing around radiator legal ? cover up the holes on top of radiator ?

also in CCR, it lists part # NA75-50-0K7A (they call it bumper seal, covers the top holes just before radiator) as allowed. but that turns out to be a NA part. I have a NB.

thanks.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Illegal. I tried last year and was told by regional tech to remove the tape I had down the sides.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Odd. According to the rules:

Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator must be blocked to prevent air from entering the engine compartment.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Odd. According to the rules:

Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator must be blocked to prevent air from entering the engine compartment.

that's what I don't quite understand. what if somebody made an aftermarket radiator that's a bit oversized, thus sealing up all openings.

at last SM race, I saw quite a few SM has some type of sealing around radiator.

imo. sealing completely around the radiator has most impact on lowering water temp, even more so than big radiator.

anyway, a bit confused, that's why I asked.

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The stock radiator in my 94 came with foam attached to the radiator itself. If you do the same with the aftermarket unit nobody should be able to hassle you. Tape is technically a different story by the letter of the rules IMO.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms:
The stock radiator in my 94 came with foam attached to the radiator itself. If you do the same with the aftermarket unit nobody should be able to hassle you. Tape is technically a different story by the letter of the rules IMO.

reading the rule "Any openings created by fitting an alternate radiator must be blocked to prevent air from entering the engine compartment."

it would mean if there was a 1/4" gap before. now your new Ebay radiator is say 1/2" gap, you are or MUST apply a 1/4" foam ? what if your new Ebay radiator now give 0" gap, are you supposed to shim it to 1/4" gap ?

also are you implying stick the factory foam back on the aftermarket radiator, or you meant any thickness foam thus fill up the whole gap ?

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Timely post for me because I just installed a new CX Racing aluminum radiator this week and was going to replace the foam on the bottom that seals between the bottom of the radiator and the belly pan. As someone else pointed out, the oem radiator had the foam attached to it anyway. My car is a 2002.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

get some soft rubber matting or old weather strip. remove the rad and glue it to the frame. done.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
get some soft rubber matting or old weather strip. remove the rad and glue it to the frame. done.

so u are saying it is legal to use some soft rubber to seal up all the openings ? I don't see how that is different from using a tape.

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Attach the weatherstrip/foam only to the radiator not the car, just like the original. Make sense?

--------------------

99 all the way!

OK it may make more sense if everyone remembers/understands why that rule about sealing was put in place. Someone very clever designed a radiator with a big hole in it where you could get air that has not been pre-heated. The rule was basically put in place to close that loophole, not to have people seal with tape or foam small gaps between the car and the radiator.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: