Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » is my helmet still legal ???

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: is my helmet still legal ???
Blake Anderson

Region: nnjr
Car #: 96
SMIM: n/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Anderson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i recently recived a helmet from my uncle in wich he used to race with in the scca . the helmet rating is snell SA 2000 . i was woundering if this helmet is still legal in the scca ? and if in the near future it will not be legal ?

thank you for your help !
Blake

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Blake

I think that helmet is good for this season only. After this season you must have a helmet that has a SA2005 sticker or better.

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't think this is true. The GCR states that SA2000 helmets are legal.

I think it has been the policy of SCCA to allow helmets that are one specification behind the current specifications. Snell has confused this a bit by not completely superseding the 2005 spec with the 2010 one. In effect, both 2005 and 2010 specs will be 'current' which means the SA2000 spec will probably remain legal for SCCA until March of 2012, when Snell retires the 2005 spec.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The SA2010 standards were delayed. Usually, when the new standard is implemented, the older of the two current standards is dropped. i.e. when the 2005 standard came in, the SA95 helmets were no longer legal, only the SA2000 and the SA2005. Whenever the SA2010 is activated, I'm guessing the 2000s will retire. That should have been this year.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Snell will release the 2010 standard in October 2010.

--------------------
Paul McLester

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Snell will release the 2010 standard in October 2010.

i have a 2000, so does that mean that my helmet will expire before my last race at the end of october?

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

GCR changes like that usually take effect Jan 1. You would see it in the Fastrack as a CRB recommendation to the BOD for approval.

--------------------
Paul McLester

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FROM SNELL

The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You will never be required to retire a helmet until the next year, regardless of when the new Snell number is released. If you have a 2010 SCCA sticker on the side, it is good all year. And, as John pointed out, the actual standards may or may not be any different, between the SA2005 and SA2010 specs. The major reason for the change is to remove older helmets from use.
wheel

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Snell has a lot of info on the site about the transition from SA2005 to SA2010. SA2005 will remain a current and valid standard until 2012 and SCCA usually allows a helmet from the previous standard to be legal. That means that a SA2000 helmet will probably remain legal until 2012.

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Legal or not, like SNELL said don't expect a helmet more than 5 years old to provide optimal protection. The polystyrene foam inside gets brittle over time. That's the stuff that's designed to crush so your head doesn't. Every cert agency and helmet company will tell you the same thing and it's not to sell more helmets.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Legal or not, like SNELL said don't expect a helmet more than 5 years old to provide optimal protection. The polystyrene foam inside gets brittle over time. That's the stuff that's designed to crush so your head doesn't. Every cert agency and helmet company will tell you the same thing and it's not to sell more helmets.

That's a different issue, I think. You could buy brand new SA2000 helmets well into 2007, if I remember correctly.

--------------------

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

True, but he said he got one his uncle raced with so I'm just assuming it's older. I've broken a few helmets so that's one place I wouldn't skimp on used and abused. Free is all well and good until you have to trust your life on that piece of safety equipment. Even if it just sat on a shelf for 5 years, the foam liner ages.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Goggles Pisano

Region: NW
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can send your helmet to Snell Corp. for inspection and re-certification.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com
"If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport."

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What John Mueller said. Just because it's legal doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. How old is this helmet?

Dave Gomberg

Region: WDC
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Because each new standard routinely appears late in the year of publication and then it takes some time for helmets meeting the new standard to become available in quantity, SCCA usually allows a full year beyond the standard year before dropping the oldest previous standard. For example, it was not until the 2007 GCR that the 1995 standard was dropped and a helmet meeting the 2000 or later standard became the requirement. The current situation is really no different. The 2010 standard is coming out late in 2010. SCCA will continue to allow 2000 or later through 2011. The requirement will become 2005 or later at the beginning of 2012.

Dave

Goggles...where did you get the idea that you can send your helmet to Snell to be re-certified?

--------------------
Paul McLester

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would this info (ie. Extension of eligibility) normally be posted in Fastrack once the new standard is approved?

Craig J

Pack Fodder

I would be suprised if Snell would recertify a helmet older than 5 years. Even back in the 80s all manufacturers were saying the shelf life of the foam was only 5 years due to oxidation.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Dave Gomberg

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Gomberg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
Would this info (ie. Extension of eligibility) normally be posted in Fastrack once the new standard is approved?

Craig J

There is no "extension" required. The way the GCR is written, currently accepted helmets remain acceptable until the standard date is changed. The 2012 GCR will change the currently accepted standard from SA2000 to SA2005.

Dave

Goggles Pisano

Region: NW
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Goggles...where did you get the idea that you can send your helmet to Snell to be re-certified?

Well, I was sure I read that somewhere and was looking forward to keeping my helmet in good shape for re-certification. But I sure can't find it now, either at snell or Arai. Damn, I hated when idiots spout off on these forums.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com
"If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport."

GROOTS

Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone know what is going on with this. Is my SA2000 helmet no good for the 2011 season ????
Have we adopted the SA2010 ? [Confused]

[ 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: GROOTS ]

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by GROOTS:
Does anyone know what is going on with this. Is my SA2000 helmet no good for the 2011 season ????

If a sanctioning body accepts the SA2010 as their new standard I doubt a SA2000 will fly... Now, that is my opinion.

However, remember age of the Helmet plays into it.
quote:
FROM SNELL
The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Weekend-Racer.com has pre-order of SA2010 with free shipping. More manufactures will be added as data becomes available.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Dave Gomberg

quote:

See my post above. Read it. I'm not going to do this again.

Dave Gomberg
CRB member

GROOTS

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Gomberg:
quote:

See my post above. Read it. I'm not going to do this again.

Dave Gomberg
CRB member

Dave I have read your older post. The question is, Fact or is this your opinion. If its fact is there anything in writing that I can Quote. I had a tech guy this weekend telling me that he didnt think that my helmet was good for next year.

Thanks
Jeff

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS

Dave Gomberg

There is nothing written now - and there won't be until the 2011 GCR comes out. I signed my last post with my position - CRB member - and I'm telling you that there will be no change from 2010 to 2011. That means your SA2000 will be fine in 2011.

If that isn't good enough for you, then you are free to hold your breath for the next three months.

Dave

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[group hug]

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave; don't mess with Tony Scarface Montana, dude has an endless supply of ammo ... am concerned if the barrel on that AR-15 will hold up, more concerned though with the poor tech guy that tells Tony he can't use his SA2000 helmet.
[Big Grin]

GROOTS

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Gomberg:
There is nothing written now - and there won't be until the 2011 GCR comes out. I signed my last post with my position - CRB member - and I'm telling you that there will be no change from 2010 to 2011. That means your SA2000 will be fine in 2011.

If that isn't good enough for you, then you are free to hold your breath for the next three months.

Dave

Didn't say that wasn't good enough. And I can see that you are a CRB MEMBER I wont be holding my breath. [duck] I just need some ammo if the situation comes up again. Thanks for your input !!!!!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: