Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » The secrecy behind the sealed engine specs is wrong

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: The secrecy behind the sealed engine specs is wrong
Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Juan Pineda:
The secrecy behind the sealed engine specs is wrong. They need publish everything they are doing. In my view they should publish the individual engine dyno sheets. If this is supposed to be fair, what's to hide?

I had one of the original sealed engines three (or was it four) years ago. Back then if the engine did not make spec, they changed the CAM timing. Yes, this is illegal in SM, but was deemed OK for the sealed class since other factors like ignition timing were changed to compensate. Maybe OK in theory. But the guy that sand bags on the dyno, and then undoes his trickery, gets the advantage of the CAM timing.

Further, the sealed program was building a bunch of non-compliant engines that could make their way back into the legal SM pool with owners not knowing that they were non-compliant, or unable to afford making them compliant. Without knowing exactly what the program is allowing, this is a very good possibility with the current program.

There is no need for secrecy here. Open review is critical to ensure fairness of any rule set.

-Juan

Here's your thread.
J~

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Once I finish building my car and get it sealed I will post my dyno sheet as an example.
Some things that needs to be changed in my opinion for the sealing process.
Spec Plugs
Spec Plug Wires
Spec oil weight but not brand yet
Spec trans/diff oil weight but not brand yet
Spec coolant fluid
Mark timimg/CAS
Require fuel, engine oil, plugs, coolant, trans oil and diff oil to be drained and replaced before dyno sealing.
Posting of all cars sealed dynos sheet should be public knowledge or at a minimum put into the cars logbook for reference for the scrutineer.
Just thinking outside the box you could even modify the water pump to have larger fins for the dyno testing sealing and then substitute it with a small fin for racing. Therefore a seal mark is required on the water pump too.
I just want the sealing process to be more tamper proof to keep this class a drivers class and not a cars class.
Joshua

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about spec...

Bumpstops
Exhaust
Air filter

And split starts on race day???

-RA

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bump Stomps are already listed in the GCR, but a specific one would be best.
Two spec exhausts should be allowed Laguna and other. Again I can clog the exhaust for the dyno but open it up after for a few HP after the seal.
I say forget the air filter. Just limit the size and length of the tube attached to the MAF sensor.

To me split starts are fine except they should only split along the class and not just by the overall lap times as it hurts the cars in the front row of the second group.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why dont you guys just adopt the DC Region's Rules, they seem to be very well sorted out. SSM in DC has proven to work very well. Getting close to track limt on the # of cars. Not a sermon, just a thought.

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We had a split start at Laguna last year. The problem with them is that the front running cars from the rear starting group tend to catch the back of the front group very quickly and then you're back to square one. This time with faster cars/drivers trying to put clean passes on slower cars/drivers.

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Olson:
Why dont you guys just adopt the DC Region's Rules, they seem to be very well sorted out. SSM in DC has proven to work very well. Getting close to track limt on the # of cars. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Is there a written/printable set of rules on line?

I missed it if the fat cat bumps are in this years GCR...but the original would keep cost down. Run Laguna exhaust full time...it's not HP, it's equality! No need to buy 2 exhausts. Run stock air box with green or K/N filter...again no need to jack up costs. Maybe lower the HP cars are sealed at so a few more cars make it in without costly motor work?

IMO split starts would allow cars in the same class to race each other...not have to get by other class cars to race someone in their class. I understand catching the slow cars in the class that gets to go first but what else can you do? As it is now a bad qualifying(5th or 6th in class for SSM) means you might have to get by 8 cars to gain 3 spots! At least with a split start you could gain 3 spots in the first couple laps on missed shifts or better driving!

Slow traffic creates a whole new set of driving skills and opportunities...M2C

-RA

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Deja vu - Spec E30 has been asking some of the same questions for a few years. Spec the exhaust, plugs, clutch, stock airbox. Still no substitute for checking on track performance. Since dyno is cost prohibitive, there has been some discussion of using a baselined and standardized data acq system to see how cars are coming off corners and long straights, and if there is a suspected problem then they have to go for dyno. Personally I welcome a working spec system, SE30 is close but so many established drivers and the internet make it difficult, now is the time for SSM to spec everything and have an on track evaluation technique.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
quote:

-RA

SSM rules

--------------------
#91 SSM

quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
quote:

-RA

SSM rules
I see no mention of sealing procedure as in SFR...is this not part of your program? At a quick glance the only difference I see from SM is running stock air box and exhaust...and 2.0 max neg. camber in front? Do techs check this?

Also you include 1.8's...nice!

-RA

--------------------
-RA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: