Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » 6mm Headlight Gap??

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 6mm Headlight Gap??
Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The gap around the headlights was checked by tech at the national in Portland last week. I know I've seen this rule before but I can't find it in the GCR now.

Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks,

Ken

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't know, but if 6mm is the rule, I need to widen my gaps [Smile]

These cars are going to start looking funny with folded up side mirrors and 5mm gap at the top of the left headlight cover...

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe its from the FSM. Front bumper cover/hood gap is 5mm +/-1.5 and the hood/fender is 5mm +/-1. The gap around the headlights is not specified in my FSM.

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They do get picky about the flush headlights once in a while. I was talked to about mine once last year. I don't think they really know what to look at on a SM so checking for flushness gives them something to do while they hold us in impound. They keep telling me my car is way overweight on the scales. I keep explaining I have a 1.8. When I drove Terrell's car I asked them what it was supposed to weigh and nobody knew.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Freiheit

Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,
This my favorite conversation while on scales [Smile]
Steward: "how much are you supposed to weigh?" Kyle: "What do I weigh right now?"
Steward: "2274"
Kyle: "perfect, 2274"
Then I drive off.
At last years Rose Cup, I think they had a sheet with a diagram of the hood gap/headlight gap rules, according to SCCA, it was a supplemental diagram for the GCR. I would assume it should there this year.

Kyle

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Whoa, hold on there pilgrims [Smile] This used to work.

I was dq'd last year at the Rose Cup for being underweight. Seems that some parts that fell off the car were not put back on [Big Grin] If our stewards are good enough to take the time to weigh, then we should at least get it right.

On my list...

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw some MAJOR headlight gaps this last weekend at Blackhawk, and was wondering if there was an "official" rule...

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For the sake of a newbie (me), what is the advantage, if any, of larger headlight gaps? Additional airflow into the engine bay? I'm just trying to understand why it was enough of an issue that it had to be addressed in the rules.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Randy Thieme

Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cr@p. I've got a banged up front and always have a gap. Now I've got to add body work to my To-Do list.

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
At last years Rose Cup, I think they had a sheet with a diagram of the hood gap/headlight gap rules, according to SCCA, it was a supplemental diagram for the GCR. I would assume it should there this year.

Kyle

Kyle, that's what I was thinking. If tech has something they're using, It should be in the GCR.

They had the same sheet last weekend, but I can't find it anywhere.

Kyle Freiheit

Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,
I remember some bickering about it being thrown onto us at the last minute and that we had never seen the diagram before. They then told us we could get copies of the diagram from them during the weekend and/or it would be on the scca website shortly... that was a year ago.

Kyle

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was tech'd by Runnoffs crew and they measured the gap. I asked the reason and was told that some enterprising racers have used increasingly generous gaps (intentional) to increase airflow into the area of the intake. On this basis I am fine with making sure we all comply for performance equivalency (I had to modify my hood attachment).

There is no reason to have this gap listed in the GCR. If every detail of car spec of every car in club racing was listed the GCR would be - well - very big. This is covered perfectly well in the FSM.

Craig J

Veteran Member

Hi Craig, I know the reason they're checking it, I just wanted to see where they were getting their info from. Never thought to look in the FSM. Duh!

Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: