Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Racing while on probation

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Racing while on probation
KachMiata

Region: Central
Car #: 80
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have over 10 SCCA National races under my belt as well as a bunch of regional and NASA races in a SM. A few weeks ago I raced at Blackhawk and during my second race of the weekend, I had some contact. I won't go into details about the contact or whether I agree or not with the penalty that was handed down, but the result that my license has been put on Probation for a National race this weekend at Road America. A few questions: Who has raced while on probation? Does a long track, like RA, pose some issues with driving on probation? I understand how to drive clean and have done so and finished in the top 10 in a bunch of races, but there is also a tendency for a little more contact in a series like SM. Any tips on how to stay competitive but remain conservative?

Thanks for any feedback,
JK

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You might read the GCR relative to probation so that you understand what's required before you enter the race track. G. Probation of competition privilegs.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

John Nesbitt

Region: WDCR, NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Nesbitt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by David Dewhurst:
You might read the GCR relative to probation so that you understand what's required before you enter the race track. G. Probation of competition privilegs.

David is referring to GCR 7.2.G, which includes the following, "Any member on probation must to notify the event Chief Steward prior to his first on track session ... Failure to notify the Chief Steward is a violation of probation."

You must personally present your probation letter to the Chief Steward before going on track. This is important.

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You will be fine at RA ,its a wide track and after the first lap your all gonna be pretty strung out.Even if you find yourself racing someone hard all race most passing is done on the straights unlike BHF where passing is mostly in the corners which tends to bring the contact level up.

Not sure what region handled the BHF event you were at but one of the regions(no names)can be pretty uuhhmmm abrasive at times.I know there doing there job but they can take it a bit over the top at times.I had a simple bumper to bumper "touch" in a corner a few years back there and they acted like I rammed this guy in the wall,pulled him out of his car and beat the crap out of him.
Mind you no damage on either car,cars never left the track,not even sure how they caught it as it really was a bumper"touch".After 3 hours of dicking around with video tape and interviews they decided it was a racing incident.Ya think.

And what burned me the most,the contact was due to brother A who was in first had car issues had to let brother B take the position.Well brother A knew I was on brother B's rear bumper so he let brother B by uncontested and as I was coming through brother A suddenly had more issues right in front of me in the corner.It was just enough that brother B was gone.Ahhh brotherly love.

Just go have fun,race,don't touch anyone be nice to all the officials,have a double brat sandwich for me.

--------------------
volante

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brother A and B or Brother S and T? lol

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

KachMiata

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys. I am aware that I need to pay a visit to Chief Steward before going on track.

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Region's don't hand out the probation penalty. The decision to place someone on probation or not, is the result of a deliberation by the Stewards of the SOM, because a Protest or RFA was filed. The Stewards may be from different Regions or even different Divisions. As long as you PERSONALY present your yellow Probation form to the Chief Steward before going on track all should be OK. Have a safe race, enjoy a couple of Brats and pick up your Probation letter at the end of the weekend from the Chief Steward. The Chief Steward will be happy to sign you off for a satisfactory weekend if all was according to Hoyle.

KachMiata

I had a good weekend at Road America at the Cat Nationals. Thanks for the advice guys.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: