Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » From the classifieds (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: From the classifieds
Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is where the slippery slope leads.

We set foot on it when we went National and invited the serious racers to play.

I think I'll put together an illegal motor that makes Pro power for way less money and run that.

It beats getting my ass handed to me by bad drivers with Pro power, while I stand on the moral high ground....

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cajun Miata Man:
For all you righteous "pots" out there calling the kettles black, how many of you in 2010 knowingly ran illegal 1.6L heads at sometime?

You don't need to answer, but we know who you are.

I am not proposing modded ECUs as legal, only suggesting that maybe your self-serving crusade is a bit hypocritical and a look in the mirror may be warranted.

Ding! That's me!

Actually, I haven't looked at the head in my car, but I know the chump who built it is a well-known cheater. Despite his promises to build a legal motor that made power because of expert dyno tuning, I'm pretty sure the head is not legal.

Hello pot, I'm kettle.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

JMorris

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JMorris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
JMorris, I think what the Tard is trying to say is that we saw these arguments for open fuel pressure earlier:
1. There is normal variation in the production run
2. Hard to tech (not really)
3. Easy to manipulate the FP regulator to 'optimize' and the modification is hard to detect
4. People are doing it anyway, making it open just lets the rest do it more cheaply because they don't have to hide it
5. Provides a low cost performance boost

If that is true for the FP regulator, it is much more so for allowing people to vary the clock on the ECU to nudge the redline. In fact, it's MUCH cheaper than fooling with the FPR.

I'm against it for the same reasons I am against the FP and timing mods, but I see the hypocrisy in the arguments.

Some of what you posted makes sense. Some doesn't.

The argument for FP seems to be that swapping regulators and finding one low in the spec gives you a better tune up. If they are within the spec, I don't even see that as gray, how can anyone make that argument?

I don't understand how the same case can be made about computers? None left Mazda that way, you had to cheat to get there? Not gray, not preparation, just blatant cheating.

I really don't follow the logic here.

J-

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JMorris:
quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
Or get the right people to use "tech shed legal" parts for a year then they become fully legal in the off season [Smile]

What does this mean?

So you guys are all fine running stuff that is illegal like computers?

I am for sure not the "right people" [Smile]

I was talking about heads last year and FP and timing this year.

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
For all you righteous "pots" out there calling the kettles black, how many of you in 2010 knowingly ran illegal 1.6L heads at sometime?

I am not proposing modded ECUs as legal, only suggesting that maybe your self-serving crusade is a bit hypocritical and a look in the mirror may be warranted.

knowingly no, but did I take my pro motor apart and check it no. PM from the runoffs and I will tell you what most likely illegal on your car [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JMorris:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
JMorris, I think what the Tard is trying to say is that we saw these arguments for open fuel pressure earlier:
1. There is normal variation in the production run
2. Hard to tech (not really)
3. Easy to manipulate the FP regulator to 'optimize' and the modification is hard to detect
4. People are doing it anyway, making it open just lets the rest do it more cheaply because they don't have to hide it
5. Provides a low cost performance boost

If that is true for the FP regulator, it is much more so for allowing people to vary the clock on the ECU to nudge the redline. In fact, it's MUCH cheaper than fooling with the FPR.

I'm against it for the same reasons I am against the FP and timing mods, but I see the hypocrisy in the arguments.

Some of what you posted makes sense. Some doesn't.

The argument for FP seems to be that swapping regulators and finding one low in the spec gives you a better tune up. If they are within the spec, I don't even see that as gray, how can anyone make that argument?

I don't understand how the same case can be made about computers? None left Mazda that way, you had to cheat to get there? Not gray, not preparation, just blatant cheating.

I really don't follow the logic here.

J-

J, despite protestations to the contrary, you CAN find stock, unmonkeyed NA1.6 ECUs with an extra 200 RPM. They are controlled by a very crude crystal oscillator and it doesn't take much variation in the voltage regulator/resistor/capacitor/crystal circuit to give you that increase. Age takes its toll on crystal oscillators. This is no different than cylinder heads or fuel pressure regulators, you can find the 'golden' one if you are lucky and patient or you can have one 'squeezed'. Or we can allow people to get the 'benefit' for 50 cents.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
quote:

PM from the runoffs and I will tell you what most likely illegal on your car [Smile]
You lost me........ But my car was found compliant on all items. The only excluded item was my head was not pulled like the podium finishers.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA