Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Duplicate (and Contradictory) Roll Cage Rules in GCR

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Duplicate (and Contradictory) Roll Cage Rules in GCR
Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After blowing off the inch of dust that had accumulated on my 2010 GCR, I decided to peruse Section 9.4: Roll Cages for GT and Production Based Cars.

Upon reading further in the GCR, I found Appendix I: 2007 Roll Cage Rules.

There are multiple contradictions between the two sets of rules, with one example being the maximum base plate area being 100 sqin for 2007 and 144 for 2010.

Why is this "Appendix I" version included in the GCR? Does its content carry any weight for tech inspection?

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dan,

Clearly, your taste in literature runs to the heavy side. Once you finish the GCR and all appendices, may I suggest Franz Kafka's "The Trial"? It's neurotic, dysfunctional, paradoxical, self-contradictory, and based entirely upon the premise that you are guilty even if proven innocent... come to think of it, a lot like the GCR and the SCCA enforcement system. The main difference is that "The Trial" is a slightly easier read. There's a parallel to racing, too: the main character ends up broke and defeated, without ever quite understanding why... just like most of us drivers!

Practically pristine copies can be found in any used book store. No dog-eared pages: hardly anyone makes it past page 75 or so... but check for damaged spines. It seems that a fair number get thrown against the wall. Another parallel to the GCR?

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pretty simple, really. When was your car built? The old rules were put in the GCR so that you wouldn't have to go back to old books to find out if your car was legal, if it was built and first inspected years ago.

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Skip.... Thanks for the tip. Amazon.com shows that 99% of the copies of your suggested read are in Topeka. Why do you suppose that is??? [rolling on floor laughin]

Wheel.... I was always of the impression that if rules changed, for reasons of safety or parity then it was the responsibility of the car owners to update their cars to meet the new rules, unless the new rule has a specific grandfathering qualification (ie. "cars with cages built before 1/1/08 may continue to utilize PVC tubing as long as purple primer was used").

Having two sets of rules, particularly those which do not agree with one another, in the same book seems confusing and potentially open to incorrect interpretation in the tech shed. Just my opinion.

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There was supposed to be a paragraph explaining why the rule was there. This paragraph will be added. I think it might even be in the fastrack, due out next week.
I didn't mean to sound condescending with my "simple" comment, above. You are correct, the way it is presented is confusing to almost everyone, including me. Basically, it means you don't have to change to the new system, if your car was initially tech inspected under the old rules. Although, you may change if you want to. You can use the larger mounting plate rule, for example.
wheel

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The way I was explained is that we have some new rules that are better. The old rules are still good. So we are not required to update to the new rules. BUT, all new cars must meet the new rules.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Dave is correct.

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dan... That was a zinger about the PVC! [rolling on floor laughin] Didn't catch it on the first read. Too busy chuckling about all the copies of Kafka's nihilistic masterpiece ending up in Topeka. [banghead]

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: