Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » September FastTrack - RunOffs qualification proposal

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: September FastTrack - RunOffs qualification proposal
Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Couple of interesting things in this just posted:
http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/10/10-fastrack-sept.pdf

Qualifications for Runoffs
- Must start 4 races/2 in Division
- Must finish 4 races regardless of Division

- Assuming participation levels have been met, a driver has three ways to earn a Runoffs invitation. A driver must meet
at least one of these three criteria to receive an invitation. They are:
1. Drivers finishing in the top three of their Division in their class in the current season.
§ Places far greater importance on the Divisional Championships and local National races
2. Drivers finishing in the top 50% of the Nation-wide point standings in the current season
§ Example: 100 drivers score points in a class in the current season, the top 50 will receive an invitation
§ Rewards drivers that may not have made the top three in their Division but have proven that they are
among the “Best of the Best” by scoring high in the Nation-wide points.
§ This percentage could be adjusted in the future to become more exclusive. This percentage would
be set prior to the beginning of the National racing season and held throughout that season.
3. Drivers scoring enough Nation-wide points that would have placed them in the top 50% of the previous year’s standings for that class.
§ Example: 100 drivers score points the previous year, with the 50th place driver scoring 35 points. Any driver scoring 35 points in the current season will receive an invitation.
§ This will give drivers who race early in the year (SE, SW, SP) a defined point level to earn an
invitation since these drivers will not be able to predict that early in the season if their effort would result in a top-50% finish.
- Classes may have a cap on the number of race starters based on track length.
o Cars may need to qualify in order to take the green flag for the race.
Additionally, the Board proposes to change the Runoffs qualifying minimum from 120% to 115% of the pole time
o Requires a higher standard of performance at the Runoffs

It would be interesting for anyone with the data to put together how this would have changed the grid (if at all) for the RunOffs last year?

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

JMorris

Icon 1 posted  Profile for JMorris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not quite sure why they changed anything? Especially considering that the current "plan" isn't even a year old yet? Looking over the runoffs entries there are 56 entries this year, far more than the last 3 years. It seems at least in SM, the plan is working?

Reading over the plan, what has really changed? It looks like in every class except SM, it is still four races and your in? [scratchchin] It appears to sound "tough" to qualify, but in reality it isn't any tougher than four finishes and your in almost all classes. THE BOD needs some leadership and stability. The constant back and forth is crazy. Limit the classes one year, all new classes can go to the Runoffs the next and back to eliminating under participating classes again this year? Do these people really have any practical experience, there is no continuous plan, it seems each year the BOD heads in an entirely new direction depending on who comes in and who leaves, pathetic really! They need more long term planning and less short term "fixes"
J~

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll probably get crapped on for this one but I don't like that it is so easy to qualify for the Runoffs. It minimizes the importance of the season and the division standings and 60+ cars is far too many IMO. Even at a huge track like Road America, we're likely this September to have a full course yellow or two, lapped traffic and debris to contend with. If it rains it could be a VERY short race in terms of green flag laps and corners. This is for a championship and it should be contested for 50 miles from green to checker without being compromised by driver and traffic caused conditions. I hope to be wrong but if the Sprints over the past few years are any indicator, it could be a frustrating race. To me this means top 5-6 or so in each division should qualify to enter the event.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
I'll probably get crapped on for this one but I don't like that it is so easy to qualify for the Runoffs. It minimizes the importance of the season and the division standings and 60+ cars is far too many IMO. Even at a huge track like Road America, we're likely this September to have a full course yellow or two, lapped traffic and debris to contend with. If it rains it could be a VERY short race in terms of green flag laps and corners. This is for a championship and it should be contested for 50 miles from green to checker without being compromised by driver and traffic caused conditions. I hope to be wrong but if the Sprints over the past few years are any indicator, it could be a frustrating race. To me this means top 5-6 or so in each division should qualify to enter the event.

+1 on that

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Jerret Gerber

Region: Central
Car #: 9
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerret Gerber     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Totally agree with Tom Sager. The importance of running all Nationals in the region is not important nor getting points to get in the top 10. Earning it means more than just getting in.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom...that sounds great in a division with little or no competition. So the Southeast division should only get to send 5 drivers to the runoffs while the Rocky Mtn or Northwest sends the same number? I will gladly take some flak for saying that there are divisions where the top 5 wouldn't place in the top 20 in the SEDIV.

--------------------
Paul McLester

jensen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jensen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Opinion from a 2009 driver that "attemped-but failed" to make the race last year. I raced in my division and GL region, had the starts, finishes but not enough points to qualify. Even though my entry was denied and refunded I supported my fellow competitors and participated the whole week "helping" from the wall, why, because I did not earn it???
I feel that this class, SCCA and racing in general is about the sport, competing and participation, especially at this amatuer level. A national run-off-type event could only benefit from quanitiy at this caliber. Huge grids, tons of participation and exciting races are what draws people to the sport,myself included, not watching a dozen "chosen, earned there way in" boring little cars cruise around the 4 mile track.
If fellow racers felt we now have it too easy, we should be qualifiying by laptime and we must qualify so many percent % at/or below the fastest time. This would make all of us earn the race start, not going out of division, placing ourselves in events to make certain we will be in the run-offs.
I only place my opinion with positive enthusiasm, as I am looking to go to my first run-offs as a competitior, racing the best in the U.S., meeting new racer's and have an awesome race! We should spend more time and energy focusing on why we race, and keep it exciting rather than spend our energy on a 1mm plate change, 25# increase, and who SHOULDN'T go to the run-offs. Big fields, crazy race and tons of involvement from every avenue(SM shops, racers, Mazda)m make this class not only strong but the biggest this year.
This is what sparked my interest in the class and also is what keeps me in it.

--------------------
Matt Jensen
SCCA SM Cen-Div
MC NASA 68

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think 63 plus cars is a great thing for SM,SCCA and for the Runoffs.. Even if it costs me a chance at the win. I enjoy the social aspect of the club as much as the racing. This is amateur racing... The best will show up regardless of qualifying format. You can't keep them from coming... The double yellow will likely come from right where you are Tom [Smile] p6 to p20 IMO. So the top 5 theory doesn't hold water IMO. Traffic and lapped cars are all part of road racing. The best of the best should be able to navigate through the traffic IMO. 63 plus is a good thing IMO. Stricter qualifying procedures are not. I feel relatively safe saying I would qualify in the strictest of formats, but I don't think thats the way to go.
Jim

[ 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Drago ]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sager:
It minimizes the importance of the season and the division standings and 60+ cars is far too many IMO. Even at a huge track like Road America, we're likely this September to have a full course yellow or two, lapped traffic and debris to contend with.

But that's racing. We run 50-60 miatas at our regional races and somehow survive. Laguna Seca is about half as long as Road America to boot!

To me, the more the merrier. Especially since I'm planning to be one of the new guys next year. [thumbsup]

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Tom...that sounds great in a division with little or no competition. So the Southeast division should only get to send 5 drivers to the runoffs while the Rocky Mtn or Northwest sends the same number? I will gladly take some flak for saying that there are divisions where the top 5 wouldn't place in the top 20 in the SEDIV.

Agree that it's tougher to compete in some divisions. Some sort of "wild card" format might work.

In no way do I expect SCCA do anything to tighten Runoffs qualification guidelines. The mindset is the opposite among the club leadership and so many of the classes have such poor participation that they need every entry they can muster. Too many classes is a rant for another day.

One thing is for sure though...Spec Miata is a smashing success.

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I think 63 plus cars is a great thing for SM,SCCA and for the Runoffs.. Even if it costs me a chance at the win. I enjoy the social aspect of the club as much as the racing. This is amatuer racing... The best will show up regardless of qualifying format. You can't keep them from coming... The double yellow will likely come from right where you are Tom [Smile] p6 to p20 IMO. So the top 5 theory doesnt hold water IMO. Traffic and lapped cars are all part of road racing. The best of the best should be able to navigate through the traffic IMO. 63 plus is a good thing IMO. Stricter qualifying proccedures are not and I feel safe sayingI would qualify in the strictest of formats, butI dont think thats the way to go.
Jim

I've sent a letter to Janet Napolitano at the Department of Homeland Security requesting that she attend the race since there is a chance that a man-caused disaster could occur.

miata68

Region: Detroit
Car #: 68
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for miata68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So there are really two questions here:

1. How many points do you need to qualify?
2. How many entrants wouldn’t qualify?

My findings:
1. Did a quick check of several divisions 2010 points and looks like 6 -7 points is the median in most divisions. In the prestigious SE DIV, maybe 12 points. So a nationalized 50th percentile is maybe 7 – 8 points. This of course changes when you know there is a 50th percentile and you are 48th and could drive up the median?

2. Surprisingly – only I counted only a handful of “2011 non-qualifiers” entered for this year. There are so many SMs scoring points in only a few races it brings the median points down to less than I expected.

--------------------
David Bednarz #68

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Like everything else in this club, these things should be a function of how the racers feel about them. If you want the Runoffs to have 60+ SM cars, or if you want the Runoffs to have the top five from each division, or the top three, or whatever, let the BOD and CRB know. http://www.crbscca.com

wheel

luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Having 60+ SM's at RA is no different than the good old days of Neon Challenge in the in the late 1990's where we had similar car numbers, similar levels of car prep and similar levels of driver ability. In other words, car prep and driver ability were all over the board. This led to great racing for everybody involved from the front all the way to the back of the grid. Just as importantly, it was fun for the fans to watch.
We don't need a more elitist approach, we need an more inclusive approach.

Remember, in this economy not all of us can afford to run 7+ weekends,buy 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of brake pads to try to qualify for the Runoffs. The present format allows working guys like me with limited funds and decent ability to attend the Runoffs if I choose. The fast guys will still be fast and I'll shoot for a top 25 finish. Everybody will be happy.

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom was right.

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by luckymiata76:
Tom was right.

LMAO.. Called Tom and told him the same [Smile]
I still like the proposal. Many included the dummy who spun in 14 would have been there in either format. The first caution was from p3 in my division and a very good driver.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

miata68

Region: Detroit
Car #: 68
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for miata68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by miata68:
So there are really two questions here:

1. How many points do you need to qualify?
2. How many entrants wouldn’t qualify?

My findings:
1. Did a quick check of several divisions 2010 points and looks like 6 -7 points is the median in most divisions. In the prestigious SE DIV, maybe 12 points. So a nationalized 50th percentile is maybe 7 – 8 points. This of course changes when you know there is a 50th percentile and you are 48th and could drive up the median?

2. Surprisingly – only I counted only a handful of “2011 non-qualifiers” entered for this year. There are so many SMs scoring points in only a few races it brings the median points down to less than I expected.

So this proposal will "lower" the 2011 entrants to maybe 60 cars. I don't see a big change, not that it is necessarily a problem.

--------------------
David Bednarz #68

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: