Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » Won't we always have a Spec Tire? (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Won't we always have a Spec Tire?
Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did not want to hijack others topic's so here it goes.

Won't we always have a spec tire? Everyone is going to run the tire that runs the fastest times. Most everyone agrees that the Hoosier is the tire that results in the fastest times. If the leaders choose Hoosier then won't everyone else.

What people do not discuss is that if we do not have a spec tire what is to stop the tire manufacturer from raising the price because they have the best tire. Our buying power is not going to persuade a company to build us a specific tire so that it can compete with others.

If there was a tire that resulted in 2 secs per lap, how much would you pay extra? $20 or $100 per tire.

I could care less about which tire, I would like not to have to bring 10 sets of tires to the track because each race or race organization has different rules.

I am for whatever everyone agrees and I want to have a process that is transparent. I think that we should pick a spec tire and make the manufacturer pay our compliance fee.

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, we have had open tire and worked well. The ARRC is open tire. A few years ago the top 5 were Good Year, Hoosier, Kuhmo and Toyo.

Only SCCA National races (and yes NASA) have spec tires now. If your region specs Toyo then someone made a blind decision or you got left out.

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dennis,

This has been argued ad nauseum for years.

Bottom line, for alot of people, the fastest tire is not always the best option. Economy is important.

Spec tires work and it's what most people want. I'd prefer the new spec tire selection debate not devolve into trying to determine if we want a spec tire or open. We've made that decision.

thanks
jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
If your region specs Toyo then someone made a blind decision or you got left out.

MEAT [/QB]

Isn't it possible they made an informed decision? [Smile]

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with all of the above and really don;t care one way or the other on the issue of spec tires.

I would like consistency either all open or all spec.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
quote:
If your region specs Toyo then someone made a blind decision or you got left out.

MEAT

Isn't it possible they made an informed decision? [Smile] [/QB]
Or took a vote...

-BW

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, it is possible they took a vote. Unlikely they made an informed decision.

My region voted.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

MegaModerator

But yes I agree with it has been decided to spec a tire. The response to that question is overwhelmingly in favor of a Spec. I also agree that the majority have voiced for a spec tire at Nationals and regionals.

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I really don't even know what the discussion is about? We have a spec tire and we will have a spec tire for at least another three years. Which tire is the only debate and while I don't want a wagon wheel, I think the one that has the least amount of lap time devaition over 10-15 maybe even 20 cycles is the winner. That along with price and availability are really my main concerns. I think that echos 90% of the class at this point?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
I think the one that has the least amount of lap time devaition over 10-15 maybe even 20 cycles is the winner. That along with price and availability are really my main concerns. I think that echos 90% of the class at this point?

I think you are entirely correct.

JD

MegaModerator

quote:
I really don't even know what the discussion is about? We have a spec tire and we will have a spec tire for at least another three years. Which tire is the only debate and while I don't want a wagon wheel, I think the one that has the least amount of lap time devaition over 10-15 maybe even 20 cycles is the winner. That along with price and availability are really my main concerns. I think that echos 90% of the class at this point?

Yep. But if I don't ask for feed back I can never then tell you that you had you chance to be heard. Suck it up and deal with it!

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why is absolute speed, rather than relative speed, of any interest to people, if it costs significantly more to go faster? I we were to go open tire, then, yes, all would be forced to buy the "fastest" tire, which probably would be the most expensive tire. Would that improve racing? I don't think so; all would still be equal in the tire department. Would it increase costs? Of course, probably a lot.

No thanks. The whole point of a spec class is to emphasize driving and setup. Why people want to increase costs in the process is not clear.

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dennis,
I,like Drago really don't care what we run in this class.Give us something that wil last 3 weekends or so and be done with it.All tires will fall off in lap times after they hit there sweet spot but most will just lose that 1/2 to 3/4 per second and then stay the same from there on out till the cords show.That you can't argue about.
A molded tire is a much easier tire and predictable tire to run,takes some of the variables out of it.
As far as price the Hoosier SM tire was priced the same and Most of the other top tyre companies were gonna be right in there to try to get some of that market.I know of one for sure,I tested a few different sets for them.
As far as our currant tire,I have never taken more tires to the track,had more shaves done,heat cycled a tire to the enth degree to try to find the best tire for that track for any given weekend or spent more money on tires than I have with these Toyo's that are supposedly "cheap" to race.Rain tire aside,most of us and all of them should have a rain tire in the trailer so that cost is the same no matter what name is on the side of it.
This is really not a spec class,we have way to many differences from year to year between cars to call it that.It should really be called Miata Only class.Most of those who want a spec tire are kidding themselves and should all go run in the lapping day events somewhere if all they want to do is make laps with the least amount of work and set up.

--------------------
volante

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And Yes,I voted for open tire.

--------------------
volante

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by volante:
Most of those who want a spec tire are kidding themselves and should all go run in the lapping day events somewhere if all they want to do is make laps with the least amount of work and set up.

Utter, total nonsense. Wanting to keep costs down by having a spec tire has absolutely nothing (not even a teeny, weeny bit) to do with "least amount of work and set up." It has everything to do with leveling the equipment playing field, minimizing costs, and maximizing set up knowledge and ability, and driving ability. Just what true racers should be interested in.

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by volante:
Most of those who want a spec tire are kidding themselves and should all go run in the lapping day events somewhere if all they want to do is make laps with the least amount of work and set up.

Wow, somebody's (purple) panties are sure in a wad. [duck] [Wink]

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As far as I can tell NASA has already made the choice for us. If SCCA chooses something other than NASA both clubs will be hurt.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

First off the last thing I want SCCA to be concerned with is what NASA did or is doing.
Valante, I couldn't agree more. I still think a lot [ not all] that want Toyo as the tire have been on them for so long that they don't know any better, or never ran anything else [ I fit into the last category]. I want a spec tire too, but not Toyos. After running Hoosiers for a while I would rather not ever have a Toyo on my car again.
For the money Hoosier is the best deal, all lap times aside.
As for a rain tire, I want a tire that will have a better chance of keeping my car off the wall than a Toyo.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PLEASE everyone write the CRB, SMAC, BOD, and President and ask for a molded tire with a separate rain. That's a $40-$60 savings per set AND one less variable.

It would be SO nice to not have to shave tires. And yes Charlie, a real rain tire would be great too!

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TimBuck:
PLEASE everyone write the CRB, SMAC, BOD, and President and ask for a molded tire with a separate rain. That's a $40-$60 savings per set AND one less variable.

It would be SO nice to not have to shave tires. And yes Charlie, a real rain tire would be great too!

Tim for SM king of the world! Too bad you make sense. No one will listen... [Frown]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Veteran Member

I get a set of Toyos, shaved by Vilven to 4/32, installed and balanced, for $600 a set. I get an unshaved set for less. And I can have my old rains shaved, and turned into serviceable race tires.

I'm certainly open to the concept of separate rain and dry tires, if you can explain to me why I'll save money doing that. And such explanation should take into account that the rains will be worthless the first time the track dries up early in a race when you went out there with rains on, since you can't use the rains on a dry day.

And while you're explaining, could you tell me what a "real rain tire" is, and tell me with a straight face that it will be a tire that I can put on when it's raining, but won't be a huge liability if the rain stops and the sun comes out as soon as the race starts (not an unusual occurrence around these parts).

Thanks. [Smile]

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark,

There is no good fix for the "I went out on rains and then it got dry" issue. No tire is good for both. Witness the F1 guys and others swerving like mad to find a wet patch to cool off the rain tires.

I know you guys in the NW get more rain than most, but on balance I think that argument is a red herring at best. Most make a set of rains stretch a year or two. How many dry sets do you buy in that time period if you are really doing all you can to run up front? In most regions I would bet the rain to dry ratio is something like 1/5 (or a lot more if you are really serious) on a 12 to 14 weekend schedule.

My point is that one set of rains getting recycled every year or so across the country and the class is a wash compared to what we spend on dry tires that are actually competitive.

I feel your pain and I see your point. But, just realize that 4/32's are only being run mid to back of the pack. You should run ITA and try the new Hoosiers sometime. I think you will find religion pretty quick! [Wink]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In case anyone forgot who REALLY makes up this class...

In other words, cheapasses and/or regular Joes scrimping and saving to make the next Regional race are the often-silent-but-sometimes-vocal majority. A rain tire that can later be shaved into a dry makes a lot of sense for this group. I know this has saved me hundreds over the past couple years.

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
In case anyone forgot who REALLY makes up this class...

In other words, cheapasses and/or regular Joes scrimping and saving to make the next Regional race are the often-silent-but-sometimes-vocal majority. A rain tire that can later be shaved into a dry makes a lot of sense for this group. I know this has saved me hundreds over the past couple years.

Pat,

I really do understand where you are coming from. Just talking about this with AG via email. We can't find anyplace that will shave our rains. I am sure you guys can tell us about a shop up there we can ship them to. Who is going to pay the shipping?

Or you guys can just ship us your dries to let us "break them in", hope you see I am joking, just kind of...

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Enduro addict

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
We can't find anyplace that will shave our rains. I am sure you guys can tell us about a shop up there we can ship them to. Who is going to pay the shipping?

Hmmm, that's a very good point Casey. The place I use (Les Schwab Tires, seems to be a Western thing only) "buffs" the tires on some sort of sander-type contraption rather than shaving them, so they are not concerned with protecting blades from rocks and whatnot. Surely there has to be someplace elsewhere that can do it?

--------------------

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Casey,

Anyone who retreads tires has the ability to buff tires to a given depth. I'll give away a closely held tip. Try your old buffed rains on a track that has needed a repave for a good while, and let us know how you like them.

E & C Retreading
2425 Warehouse Rd
Claremore, OK 74017
(918) 343-5777

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

MegaModerator

Thanks Bruce. Claremore is only 30 min away from me. I have a feeling this is going to be another one of those weird conversations you have in racing. "Hey, I have these race tires and I just need you to buff them a bit..." While surrounded by guys that deal with truck tires all day. Gotta take a chance and make some new friends.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Gold Member

Probably... And good luck with that [Big Grin] We're just lucky Les Schwab sells Toyos and has an exlusive for the RA-1 in our neck of the woods, all though a lot of us buy mail order to get a better price.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

MegaModerator

I would like to clarify something as I have been getting PM about my posts in this thread. I am not advocating we have a "dedicated rain tire". I am advocating a no shave required dry tire and an open (DOT) or spec rain tire based on something like the RA1 or 888.

Hope that clears it up.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:
First off the last thing I want SCCA to be concerned with is what NASA did or is doing.

Too Late!

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
Mark,

There is no good fix for the "I went out on rains and then it got dry" issue. No tire is good for both. Witness the F1 guys and others swerving like mad to find a wet patch to cool off the rain tires.

I know you guys in the NW get more rain than most, but on balance I think that argument is a red herring at best. Most make a set of rains stretch a year or two. How many dry sets do you buy in that time period if you are really doing all you can to run up front? In most regions I would bet the rain to dry ratio is something like 1/5 (or a lot more if you are really serious) on a 12 to 14 weekend schedule.

My point is that one set of rains getting recycled every year or so across the country and the class is a wash compared to what we spend on dry tires that are actually competitive.

I feel your pain and I see your point. But, just realize that 4/32's are only being run mid to back of the pack. You should run ITA and try the new Hoosiers sometime. I think you will find religion pretty quick! [Wink]

Thanks, Casey, as always. Your responses are helpful, and done in a pleasant fashion. You are a true asset to this site.

That said, I still don't begin to understand the desire to have more expensive tires, whether a spec tire or a non-spec tire. One way or another, we all will end up with the same tire; what difference does it make if the tire that costs significantly more is a bit faster, if we're all using it?

I do run ITA, and I hadn't thought about the extra time I could get in ITA by running faster tires; that is a nice thought. But, ignoring the use of our cars in other classes, I don't understand the desire to have faster tires, if the expense goes up in the process.

I also autocross, and use V710s for that on my S2000. I have fantasies about using them on a track (when you're as old as I am, your fantasies sometimes are not as lascivious as they used to me [Smile] ), so I really do appreciate the difference in grip between the RA-1 and other tires. That said, I still think that racing is supposed to be about car setup and driving, not who spends the most on engine/tires. If we're all on the same tire, and it's "good enough" (as I think the RA-1 is), I don't see why a few (and it is a few, relatively speaking) are so adamant about upping the ante on tires.

As for rains, unshaved RA-1s won't be nearly the liability in a drying track that Hoosier Wets will be, and they'll be fine for practice tires afterward. Hoosier Wets are dead after 20 minutes on a dry track, and of no use for any other purpose. That adds up to a significant saving over time, at least where it rains a lot.

I remain unconvinced that a tire arms race (added to an engine arms race) will benefit me in any way.

[Smile]

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
quote:

Yep. But if I don't ask for feed back I can never then tell you that you had you chance to be heard. Suck it up and deal with it!
This kinda sticks in my craw a bit. I hope I'm reading it wrong....

Mike, are you gathering official feedback or just testing the waters? We've got a dozen SM owners just here in Des Moines, and about 2.5 of us spend any kind of time on websites at all.

I guess I'm a little concerned about 25% (or less) of the active driving population guiding the decision just because they happened to be on the right website at the right time to see the request for input....

Jarrod

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

MegaModerator

Jarrod. I ask in my offical capacity on this website as the host of the "Rules" forum. I also happen to be on the SMAC. The SCCA ask for feedback via fast track. We have more feedback in this forum thread than all of the letters to the SCCA. I am trying to work with the SCCA on a "zoomerang" type email survey to the SCCA SM drivers. Unfortunatly right now the SCCA does not know who drives what car. They are working on that on there end. I am just looking for more feedback. I am also seeking feedback independantly from this as I am also the WDCR (Washington DC Region) Drivers Rep. We met and voted on what we wanted at the end of last season as I knew this would become an off season hot button.

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, all.

I think what some folks are saying, or at least my opinion of what the message is, is that it will be cost neutral to perhaps select another tire. Or, that it may actually reduce the dollars being spent by front-runners.

I know I spend a lot on tires. Using 4/32" Toyos is out of the question if you need absolute speed. Therefore, I buy either 2/32" or 3/32" depending on the event location.

Shaved to this depth and in a double National weekend, they are typically not usable for competition again. They can be used for a not so important practice sessions, or a regional race in a Regional/National weekend format.

I have never raced on a Hoosier, so I can't first hand say what racing a non-shaved molded true racing tire is like, but I can't believe it can be anymore costly than the Toyo under the assumption that the unit price is roughly the same. Someone else would have to chime in as to how long they remain competitive and/or last.

Competition in SM has elevated a great deal in the last 3 years. With this escalation has been the rise of thinner shaves to get the last tenth of speed which results in more tire use, expense.

I am ok with a spec tire by all means, but I just wish it was the "best" choice. And, due to the required need for "heavy" shaves of Toyos to post the fastest times, I don't think that provides a driver with as much as "spec" as they think against a true molded race tire. In fact, in my opinion, it only widens the difference in speed (advantage) between the budgets and the guys that are attempting to run the Toyos 'til corded.

Now I can't say that the budget unlimited guys won't still shave any molded tire you throw at them for an additional advantage, but ideally, that shave won't provide a significant benefit over an unshaved molded race tire to be of any value. But, having absolutely zero experience on such a tire I can't say and hope someone else can.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA