Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Rules & Competition » All cars shall use the Toyo R888 (205/50R15). (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: All cars shall use the Toyo R888 (205/50R15).
Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Dan,

A review for you from another division. Here in the Rocky Mountain region we just finished our memorial day weekend race. On Sunday, the winner was on RA1 (really race ready). Second place on Hoosiers and Third on Khumos. Fourth place was R888. The fourth place finisher, an experienced campaigner and Spec Miata builder would have finished second on any of the other tires. According to the drivers (I was the 2nd place finisher), all of the tires stayed consistent throughout the 25 lap race at Pikes Peak Intl Raceway. The R888 driver said the started to go away (approximately the third heat cycle on this set) about midway through the race and he couldn't keep up with the other tires. Saturday's race finish was as follows: First Hoosiers (and a track record); Second, RA1, Third, Hoosier; Fourth, Khumo; and Fifth, R888. I have driven the R888 tires in competition twice now. In a cold weather double National at PPIR and in the heat at a race in Albuquerque. Since we're forced to run the R888 in the National races, I'll keep my two sets, but I wouldn't run them in a regional, even if Toyo was paying me (which regional racers know, they're NOT!). This was my first time running Hoosiers and holy crap were they better. My qualifying and race times were nearly two seconds faster than the cool morning practices on the R888s. More importantly, my confidence factor was exponentially greater on the Hoosiers than the R888s. PPIR has a tricky turn 1-2 complex which is the pit out lane under the oval. I was WOT on the Hoosiers and had to modulate the throttle on the Toyos. My observations are not scientific, but are seat of the pants. Hope this helps.

Neal
Spec Miata
Red #32

How many heat cycles on the podium finishing Hoosiers?

Ken

nealspens Verified Driver

Region: Rio Grande
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nealspens   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,

I messed up my days. We actually ran the SCCA double regional on Sunday and Monday. The spec miatas and spec 7s were invited to play on Saturday as an addition to the USLMA oval racers event at PPIR on Saturday (two practices and a 35 lap race). So it should have said: Sunday's third place finish and Monday's 2nd place finish. On Sunday my Hoosiers were on their 6th heat cycle for the race. Monday the tires were on their 8th heat cycle for the race. The tires did have a 10 minute break in session a week before my race weekend so they did have time to cure. I don't have any info on the number of heat cycles on the Hoosiers that set the track record, unfortunately, that record wasn't set by me!

Neal
Spec Miata
Red #32

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Don't worry Keith, unless you're ordering more than one set of Hoosiers at once you'll get the chance to re-evaluate your tire options after two double weekends.

Denny,

Not all of us have that experience with Hoosiers, or any other tire (no, I haven't run the R-888). I'm running Hoosier SM6's that are one and 4 years old, with 16 and 24+ cycles on them with tread and grip. But then I'm not that agreessive of a driver. The front runners would probably not have that same experience. The shaved RA-1's I run also have a multitude of cycles on them, but don't have the grip and/or confidence of the Hoosiers for my driving.

Dan,

On your question of front running tires in the three events in GLD, I haven't noticed any consistency. I've mostly seen Toyo (RA-1 and R-888) with a very modest sprinkling of Hoosiers up front. Nothing that I would say is a dominance.

Cheers,

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

Mark Franklin Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Colorado
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark Franklin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
How many heat cycles on the podium finishing Hoosiers?

Ken [/QB]

I've run this track a lot over the last couple of months and have tried R888 with various heat cycles, and most recently, R6 Hoosiers. I get identical times with the two tires under the same conditions. We had perfect conditions Sunday when I got the track record on Hoosiers (4 heat cycles), but I've reached the same time in qualifying on R888s with 4 heat cycles.

Mark

--------------------
SM #25 RMD

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jerry, no front runner me-self but I experience a definite drop-off in performance with the Hoosier after a couple weekends, wereas I've set some of my fastest laps on 1 year old, Lord know how many heat cycles, bald RA-1s.

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: