Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Showroom Spec Miata » SSM in Regions

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: SSM in Regions
B Boutz

Region: Rocky Mountain
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Boutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My impression is that SSM is not run in every region. On the rocky mountain site I could not find any info on SSM. That would be too bad, I am totaly for it since I'm in the process of building and will be able to have the whole fall/winter to do it right. Plus I'm a newbie and SSM seems to be perfect for my situation (doing all my own work). Any thoughts or info on if this class will be around for a while?

Thanks, Brian

Serge Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: New England
Car #: 3
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Serge     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSM was started in the N/E Division around the time that SM went national. The intend was to recreate the original low cost, simple and equally prepped cars that the SM founders started back in 1999.
SSM is still striving strongly in the N/E, especially in the Washington, DC Region thanks to strong no nonsense leadership.
I know that a number of Regions outside of the N/E have shown an interest in SSM, I would check with your Div./Regional leadership whether they would accept the class, even on a trial basis. You canít ask for a better entry level vehicle than the Miata, especially in SSM trim.
Good Luck,

--------------------
Serge Lentz
Belgo-Am Racing
FP Miata #3
SM/SSM Retired

Jack Raymond Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 5
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jack Raymond   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Serge:
...recreate the original low cost, simple and equally prepped cars that the SM founders started back in 1999.
SSM is still striving strongly in the N/E, especially in the Washington, DC Region thanks to strong no nonsense leadership....
You can’t ask for a better entry level vehicle than the Miata, especially in SSM trim.
Good Luck,

+1

<-- There's a few WDC Region SSMs now!

Leah Epting Verified Driver

Region: Washington DC
Car #: 07
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Leah Epting     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DC SSM even has a girls. [Big Grin]

B Boutz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Boutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was noticing how many sm race video's from that area that I ended up watching. How many cars usually show up for sm? That figures, I actually grew up in NOVA (Springfield). The very first scca race I went to about seven years ago is when I saw the sm guys racing. It was the most exciting,tight,wheel to wheel racing I had ever seen in person. That was at the second creek racetrack out by the Denver airport. I don't think that track is even open anymore. Maybe I should move back east.......>

We have High Plains Raceway, east of Denver. It's a new facility.

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Texas had 4 points collecting SSM cars with NASA, sadly only two were on the track at any given event. Hopefully it will pick up for next year!

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

David Levin

Region: washington dc region
Car #: 29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Levin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We usually have about 25-35 sm and 30-40 ssm. That is the reason i started racing this past year and I am hooked.

--------------------
DaveL

B Boutz

That's awesome!! I would expect more cars to be running in SM, not the other way around.

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, it in the DC region it is nuts! There always just as many, if not more ssm cars. I will be making the jump to ssm, hopefully for next season.

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

green23

Icon 1 posted  Profile for green23     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about the Mid-Ohio/Nelson Ledges area? Does SSM have any momentum there?
I currently run a SRF but have always been partial to door-slammers. SM just doesnít look spec enough after SRF but SSM looks interesting. Anyone trying to get it started?

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Needs to be pointed out that SSM is not the same format across regions or NASA. Most except for NE regions are Sealed motor classes, which is not been successful for the most part.

We've seen San Francisco region SSM car counts go down drastically this year, and they just got started.

Sealed works for Spec Racer Ford because you buy the motor from the same organization that seals them. I don't think it can be successfull with any other format.

NE seems to be the best plan. Just a bunch of 1.6 drivers with no parity related rules creap, so I can see how that's been successful [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DC has a great SSM program, 40+ cars a race weekend with very close racing. The engines are sealed locally and since this is a regional series this works fairly well.

It will be interesting to see the comparison to the Atlanta area NASA SSM seals at the ARRC.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Personally I think SSM is the better Drivers class...tighter rules...just smaller entry my region-
-
SM just too expensive to run up front.
-

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

Mike Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mentally Retired

Region: NASA TX
Car #: 16
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Figarsky:
Personally I think SSM is the better Drivers class...tighter rules...just smaller entry my region-
-
SM just too expensive to run up front.
-

Well, in NASA TX region SSM runs in the same group as SM so we see the same cars/drivers each event and you race against them all. Some SM/SSM folks are fast in anything they drive, some are learning. I think it is a stretch to try and make a distinction between "better Drivers class" within SM/SSM in my opinion, YMMV.

--------------------
Mike Bell
http://www.bns-racing.com/sm.jpg

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Leah Epting:
DC SSM even has a girls. [Big Grin]

Some drive, some hold umbrellas - it's all good!

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Up here in New England SSM numbers have tumbled.
I was at one of the original SSM planning meetings at LRP. We started SSM to keep the original SM rules as National was about to take over SM with lots of changes and added expense.
For a few years after we had lots of SSMers but over time cars started changing hands and more cars were converted to SM rules.
Today no one builds an SSM car.
We lost even more SSMers becuase of the 4.1-4.3 rule change.
With so many people feeling that an NA car is no longer competitive in SM, NA car values have dropped as well.
So, what i'm proposing will be, all NA cars built to SM or SSM rules be eligible in SSM.
Basically NO 99'+ cars.

--------------------
Jerry

Buelligan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 05
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSM in the DC region (Summit Point)has had higher car counts than SM for some time now. Last year it seems we had mostly 45-50 car fields, but this year seemed to average 35-40 but still more than SM. My guess is that the extra spec items like wires, plugs, dyno seal and a compliance inspection keep it closer to the original intent of SM. A LOW cost entry level class that has more to do with driver skill than "who has the fat wallet"! [duck]
While it is not perfect and some will still do whatever it takes to "get an edge", the extra ruleset and compliance check makes setup and driving the primary focus for success. We also have great leadership and drivers meetings every race to discuss issues BEFORE they become problems. The class as a whole is filled with great drivers who get it and I for one thinks it works really well. The majority of these guys WANT a tightly controled ruleset so they know its the driver beating them and not the money (like pro motors) [duck]
Elimnate the grey areas SPEC EVERYTHING!!!! [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM
"BUELL" The Original STREETFIGHTER

NER88 Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The problem in NE is no one wants to take the lead. I'm sure many racers want the same but without a leader things don't happen.

--------------------
Jerry

Jim Epting

Region: Washington, D.C.
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Epting     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by NER88:
The problem in NE is no one wants to take the lead. I'm sure many racers want the same but without a leader things don't happen.

Talk it up with those who would be interested. Organize. Find a centrally located chassis dyno to enforce the power limit. (I would try to use just one dyno since there are always variations between chassis dynos and there doesn't seem to be a calibration routine available.) Adapt the Wash., D.C. rule set. A leader will emerge if 5-6 guys start talking it up.

If you begin to see progress, bring your local regions on board and make sure you can get enforcement of the max power rule with the SCCA Techs.

Get in touch with Jim Thill for advice and counsel. I suspect he would be more than willing to tell you of his experience, and it is considerable [Wink]

--------------------
Jim E.

NER88 Verified Driver

Thanks Jim, if it was only that easy.

--------------------
Jerry

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Buelligan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thats a shame, because it works so well here as evident by the numbers we get. What is the saying, "if you build it, they will come"! Like Jim E. said we have a pretty good start on a decent ruleset, start there and build on it. I am sure anyone in this area would be glad to pass along any knowledge. I'll second the Jim Thill suggestion, he has done a great deal to get us where we are today, as have many others. Sounds like you need to stand up and take charge Jerry [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM

Scottie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buelligan, I totally agree with you. ssm seems like a great class. Hence, the reason that I am transforming my SM into an SSM. Looking forward to racing with you next season!

--------------------

Sweet! Have we meet? When did you start? Who built your car? Sorry if we did meet, I can be bad with names at first! LOL Let me know if you need a hand with the conversion, Ill be glad to help where I can! Glad to have you. You will have a blast and couldn't find a better group to run with on or off the track!

--------------------
Mike Monaghan
#05 SSM

Scottie

Mike, PM sent!
I built my car, but I give it to Chris Windsor for the set up and parts.

--------------------

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey there, I am in New England region, haven't raced here yet but have a 90 built to SM rules and raced for 3 years in Spec E30 in NASA Norcal.

I bought an NA SM car, but it seems the class is moving away from the early cars and to the NBs so I've been thinking of making the required changes to run in SSM. As a general observation, the timing seems ripe for SSM organizers to create a transition path from SM to SSM, and creating a national rule set so cars can run region to region without modifications.

From what I've read in the rules, it seems stock exhaust, airbox, bushings would have to be put back in, and a motor seal / dyno. Is it possible to run SSM in New England without a seal, but can't run in other Northeast Div regions?

Appreciate any help in this regard.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

AJ:

SSM main points are Mazda comp exhaust (which is nice, meets the sound requirement at LRP), stock airbox (filter is open), and no 99 shock hats. Camber is limited to -2.0 in the front, -2.5 in the rear. Weights are also different than SM (1.6L is 2275?)

Right now, sealed motors are only required in Mid Atlantic (MARRS). The races in New England (New Hampshire, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Pocono, some NJMP races) so far do not require sealing.

I do not know what would happen if you went down to summit to race with MARRS in SSM. They would either just put you in SM without a sealed motor, or they may let you run in SSM but not for points. I'm not an expert on that one so someone will hopefully chime in.

Don't forget to come race with us in NASA! I run my SSM in SM with NASA and have fun. I also run my SSM car twice per weekend with SCCA (in SM & SSM) and have a lot of fun in both groups.

-Vick

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

l8tbreakr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Really helpful Vick, thanks for the info.

I do like running with NASA and plan to do a few events this year, but unlikely I'll make it as far as Summit.

Just to confirm what I think I read in the rules - is it correct that NASA allows the 99 hats but SCCA doesn't? (NASA SSM rule 3.1.11.5)

Jerry, I think your proposal makes sense to me, and if it went forward would be very compelling for me to run in SSM. There's a lot of SM-built NA cars, and with the way things seem to be heading in SM they'll go somewhere to be competitive - ITA, STU, FP, or SSM, or NASA PTx.

I'm curious (before my SM time) what the 4.1-4.3 rule change means and why that hurt SSM interest?

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

NER88 Verified Driver

AJ
SM says no 4.1 and SSM says 4.1 only so no crossover for NA 1.8s.
Although NA cars are still compeditive in SM anyone looking to build or buy a car wants a 99'.
Look at the selling price of 1.6s right now, 7 or 8K.
We do not have a strong SSM contingency in the NE and no leadership.
Allowing all NA cars to run SSM would be a hugh boost to the class and give value back to those cars.

--------------------
Jerry

l8tbreakr

Thanks Jerry, makes sense. The tough sell for me as an SM owner would be downgrading for SSM instead of either keeping it the same and running with like cars, or upgrading and running a faster class.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Connie 62 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 11
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
AJ:

Right now, sealed motors are only required in Mid Atlantic (MARRS). The races in New England (New Hampshire, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Pocono, some NJMP races) so far do not require sealing.

I do not know what would happen if you went down to summit to race with MARRS in SSM. They would either just put you in SM without a sealed motor, or they may let you run in SSM but not for points. -Vick

The sealed SSMs in MARRS will potentially have 10 HP less than the unsealed cars in other regions of NEDiv. Thus we require any car racing in MARRS SSM to be sealed. However we do have sealing onsite at Summit Point through RP Performance. So if you really want to race SSM with us, just arrange to be sealed at the event.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Vick:
SSM main points are Mazda comp exhaust (which is nice, meets the sound requirement at LRP), stock airbox (filter is open), and no 99 shock hats. Camber is limited to -2.0 in the front, -2.5 in the rear. Weights are also different than SM (1.6L is 2275?)

Do you NER SSM drivers ever protest the obviously illegal cars that cross over from SM? I know you could nail several of the regular winners with the camber rule every time. How about the huge motor SSM cars? I had trouble keeping up with an SSM car in my 99 in STU trim (no plate or weight) at LRP last season. There's no way those cars are SSM legal.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Chris70 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 17-7-70
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris70   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CP
I take personal offense at your statement , if you are referring to Ian Prout`s # 73 that I built from the ground up for SSM. The car was purposely built to SSM rules and Ian (owner of SCDA) has been driving and instructing at Lime Rock and W. Glen
for over 15 years.
It meets every item of the SSM rules. He drove the car in 4 races and won all 4 , the car has since been sold to the Monticello track and I am building a new 1.6 SSM (the old car was 95)
Feel free to protest us anytime you feel like but dont question our integrity in public by making blanket accusations.
Ademir Fedumenti
Savings Auto Center

--------------------
"Talent is often perseverance in disguise"

NER88 Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Chris70:
CP
I take personal offense at your statement , if you are referring to Ian Prout`s # 73 that I built from the ground up for SSM. The car was purposely built to SSM rules and Ian (owner of SCDA) has been driving and instructing at Lime Rock and W. Glen
for over 15 years.
It meets every item of the SSM rules. He drove the car in 4 races and won all 4 , the car has since been sold to the Monticello track and I am building a new 1.6 SSM (the old car was 95)
Feel free to protest us anytime you feel like but dont question our integrity in public by making blanket accusations.
Ademir Fedumenti
Savings Auto Center

Wow dude! don't flatter youself with praise!
I was thinking of the SSM car recently for sale with 99' shock hats in it!(as advertised)
[duck]

--------------------
Jerry

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris70   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mr. Rigoli
Cy`s post ties in with this video he posted at time.
Having your son driving like my 2 have I am sure you would not like any innuendo directed at them or yourself. (by the way, nice drive @ the runoffs)
Cheers
http://www.vimeo.com/12713798

--------------------

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris70:
CP
I take personal offense at your statement , if you are referring to Ian Prout`s # 73 that I built from the ground up for SSM.

I actually had cars in mind that race more than one day per season. Tell Ian I said hi. I had a great time racing against him last June in the video you posted.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Will do Cy.
Hope to join you for more than just a few next year.
He always enjoyed racing with you and if I misunderstood those remarks as being directed at him/us I am sorry.
I am very defensive as we strive to be legal in every possible aspect.
Happy holidays.

--------------------

CP Verified Driver

No worries Ademir. I had some good conversations with Elivan at the track this year too, though I never saw him after we left grid ;^)

--------------------
-Cy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: