Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Showroom Spec Miata » First NASA SSM Race of 2009

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: First NASA SSM Race of 2009
Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Folks...

Just wanted to drop a race report from Road Atlanta this last weekend.

We had 4 cars (not bad considering the weather and first time for ssm) and had the same finishing order both days.

1. Jeffrey Walter
2. Joseph Strong/Jason Holland
3. Steve Jones
4. Berny Pedersen

Everyone behaved on track and passed tech (minimal, basically just spec items)

The weather was pretty horrible but I think people had a good time, I know I did. I only had two sessions in the car this weekend but it included a really fun race with some BSI sm's in the sunday race.

My personal thoughts...

SSM is very liberating. I had more fun running SSM and here's why...

I tend to be a bit of a worrier, so I was always wondering when the motor was gonna blow or what part was gonna fail or whatever. That anxiety got worse the more money I put into the car and into parts like pro motors etc.

I think the feeling of liberation came from the fact that I didn't have to care about those things as much.

The engine was in a much lower state of tune and I wasn't worrying about wearing it out or blowing it up.

The car itself was MUCH cheaper and I felt more confident about my ability to repair or replace it if something bad happened.

Basically, I just worried less and had more fun.

I also felt good that (for the most part) we were all in the same ballpark in terms of power and prep etc. I like not having to keep up with the Joneses.

In the end, it was a lot of fun. You should try it!

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled tire bitch-fest. [Smile]

Thanks for listening...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:

Jason

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

I don't think anybody ever expects SSM to be perfect, but it does have some advantages. It already is looking like an early favorite in WDCR in both school and MARRS 1. [thumbsup]

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I also felt good that (for the most part) we were all in the same ballpark in terms of power and prep etc. I like not having to keep up with the Joneses.

Jason;
What did the competition look like versus the "regular SM" cars? In general, were the SSMs mid-pack or bringing up the rear?

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Till the first $25k SSM's hit the showroom floors... [yep]

quote:
I like not having to keep up with the Joneses.

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Waco Racer Verified Driver

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waco Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Interesting title to the thread. Texas had 2 SSM races in January and 1 in February.

Mediocrity rules!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Clifton,

Whoops. I meant in the SE Region.

You guys still have the honor! [Smile]

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by G. Davis:
quote:

Jason

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

I don't think anybody ever expects SSM to be perfect, but it does have some advantages. It already is looking like an early favorite in WDCR in both school and MARRS 1. [thumbsup]

Glad to hear it Glenn...

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
quote:

Jason;
What did the competition look like versus the "regular SM" cars? In general, were the SSMs mid-pack or bringing up the rear?

Kinda difficult to tell because of the conditions and there were lots of new people there that I didn't know their skill level or experience or prep level etc.

Overall, There were 14 spec miatas. 10 Regular and 4 SSM.

The first ssm (Jeffrey) placed 4th overall in that group, the second (me) placed 9th overall in that group and the third place ssm placed 13th overall.

So it was kind of spread out.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:

quote:

I hear this one alot. Fine, if someone is stupid enough to spend 25k on an SSM to go slower (especially in this economy) then more power to them.

If, however, the dyno, the data acquisition, the radar gun (yeah, I've got one now!) or any other indicators are showing they have a significant advantage... I hope they don't mind tearing their car apart EACH and EVERY weekend. Down to the rod bolts.

I am COMMITTED to giving this concept a fair shake and we have the advantage the hindsight of seeing what has gone on in SM.

In the end, it needs to be a culture shift. If people want to keep it low cost and competitive, they will, and I will help.

It can be done.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:

quote:

I hear this one alot. Fine, if someone is stupid enough to spend 25k on an SSM to go slower (especially in this economy) then more power to them.

If, however, the dyno, the data acquisition, the radar gun (yeah, I've got one now!) or any other indicators are showing they have a significant advantage... I hope they don't mind tearing their car apart EACH and EVERY weekend. Down to the rod bolts.

I am COMMITTED to giving this concept a fair shake and we have the advantage the hindsight of seeing what has gone on in SM.

In the end, it needs to be a culture shift. If people want to keep it low cost and competitive, they will, and I will help.

It can be done.

+1

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

SteveJ Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 86
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SteveJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe you mean "keeping up with the Walters".

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The first ssm (Jeffrey) placed 4th overall in that group (SM), the second (me) placed 9th and the third place ssm placed 13th overall.

So it was kind of spread out.

Given the variables I'd say this is perfect. Some out here were worried the 3-to-6 SSM's would be way in back with only a few cars to race with.

I understand that results will vary, but I'm gonna start recruiting some SoCal 1.6's to come save $$ with me.

Thanks Jason!

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

BernyP Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: ATL
Car #: 441
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BernyP     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was able to keep up with the JONES during Saturday's race, I just couldn't pass him...! [Big Grin]

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE I understand that results will vary, but I'm gonna start recruiting some SoCal 1.6's to come save $$ with me. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I will be there with you as soon as I get my license and car finished.

Have a great day,
jared

skrzastek

Region: Blue Ridge Region
Car #: #91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

where did you have the motor sealed?

--------------------
#91 SSM

The motor seal program has not been fully flushed-out yet, well at least in SoCal. Until it is tech will be looking for the spec parts (airbox, exhaust, ect).... Kinda psudo SSM [Smile]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller

skrzastek

Icon 1 posted  Profile for skrzastek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
The motor seal program has not been fully flushed-out yet, well at least in SoCal. Until it is tech will be looking for the spec parts (airbox, exhaust, ect).... Kinda psudo SSM [Smile]

is this the same for other regions?

--------------------
#91 SSM

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Washington DC Region has one of the longest standing SSM progams to my knowledge. It is very well run and tightly controlled. The front running SSM cars tend to be within 1.0-1.5 seconds of the SM front running cars. However, since the SM and SSM fields are so large (45-50 car fields for each class) they each have their own Group. The following is a recent communication from Jim Thill indicating the two approved organizations for motor sealing.

"Both RP Performance and York Automotive can now tune and seal SSM racecars. Even if your car is sealed, you may want to have it re-tuned. The clockspring in the AFM can change in tension over the year and modify your A/F ratio. Remember you must race with the components you use at the dyno. That includes air filter and plug wires. The NGK BKR6E-11 spark plug must be used.

The 2009 SSM specifications and Administrative Rules are posted on the WDC SCCA website. You might want to take a few minutes to read them.
http://www.wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jf1hqpNpPvo%3d&tabid=73&mid=535"

Anyone in the process of developing a SSM class should take a close look at this well developed and highly successful program.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
quote:

is this the same for other regions?
All NASA regions will use the same dyno and seal protocol that is currently being developed.

I can't say the same for all SCCA regions but I suspect Atlanta Region will use the same procedure as NASA.

We are trying to develop the NASA protocol do be consistent with already developed programs.

thanks

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is NASA protocol anything TCP/IP?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

skrzastek

quote:

All NASA regions will use the same dyno and seal protocol that is currently being developed.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

So for now, we don't need to have the motor sealed for NASA while the protocol is being developed, correct?

--------------------
#91 SSM

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:

YES

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Mediocrity rules!

quote:
Originally posted by skrzastek:
quote:

So for now, we don't need to have the motor sealed for NASA while the protocol is being developed, correct? [/QB][/QUOTE]

That is correct. The car must be legal to all the rules currently published, however (spec parts etc)

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:

Yes. It is currently TooConPhusing/InterwebsProduced, but we are working on it. [Smash]

Steve D.

Rory

Region: Atl
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rory     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've probably just missed it, but has a HP number been published (for SE)? Or is that part of the motor sealing that is TBD?

--------------------
ARTEO Graphics
arteo@earthlink.net

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Still TBD.

luffberry

Region: SCR
Car #: 9
Year : 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luffberry   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there any talk of allowing the 1.8 cars to play in the SSM class ?

Nope. One of the primary advantages of SSM is getting away from different engines, gears, weights, etc. We can eliminate the "car of the year" syndrome and start bitching about a whole different set of issues.

Steve D.

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So y'all are bored with bitching about the current issues and just need new issues to bitch about thus creating SSM?

--------------------

Mediocrity rules!

Yeah it's been 5 or 6 years for
Me now. I need new things to complain about.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Administrator

How could you run out with Devinney around?

--------------------

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.:
Nope. One of the primary advantages of SSM is getting away from different engines, gears, weights, etc. We can eliminate the "car of the year" syndrome and start bitching about a whole different set of issues.

The WDCR document mentions 1.8 rules. Are they now allowed in SSM?

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Jon Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
..driver for hire..

Car #: 87
SMIM: racerJRP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jon Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They are allowed, but the rules are written to make them un competative. A good driver in a legal 1.8 will never beat a good driver in a 1.6.

--------------------
SSM #87 MARRS
--2007 ARRC SSM Champion--

Windsorcustoms.com

Sorry - I should have been clearer. NASA SSM is a 1.6-only class.

Steve D.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: