Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Showroom Spec Miata » WDCR SSM & Others - HP Monitor

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: WDCR SSM & Others - HP Monitor
Scott Zetterstrom Verified Driver

Region: WDCR
Car #: 13
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What would you be willing to spend on a one time equipment buy for your car that would allow the class administrator to be able to track the relative HP of all of the competitors in a given race? This item would also be able to provide a predictive lap timer, shift lights, etc.

Note: This would not eliminate the need to dyno tune and seal engines. It would, however, provide a race and qualifying comparison tool to evaluate parity.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Zetterstrom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Need one more option for Question 1. $0......

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Yep, I realized I forgot that one after I pushed post.

There has been a lot of chatter lately about the sealing program, for obvious reasons. Judging by the recent race qualifying times and results I think the class is pretty even. But the general complaints remain. I'm just trying to find out if people believe the problem is worth spending money for a solution. And if mandating it is the way to go.

--------------------
#13 SSM
ME Solutions LLC
Windsor Customs Racing
PBC Automotive

Brian Billey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC(42)
Car #: 43
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Billey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We should make Traqmate the official data of SSM. It will do everything we need, from HP to predicative laps. There are also a lot of SSM racers that already have one.

--------------------
Brian Billey
43 SM/SSM WDCR MARRS
1st SSM VIR 13hr 2008
1st SSM 12hr Summit Point 2009

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brian,
Whats the total cost involved in Traqmate?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Billey:
We should make Traqmate the official data of SSM. It will do everything we need, from HP to predicative laps. There are also a lot of SSM racers that already have one.

So will other systems. I'm looking at RLC for the added track accuracy.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Waterboy Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 15
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Waterboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Reading:
Brian,
Whats the total cost involved in Traqmate?

For the data portion it is around $1,000.

--------------------
Tim Jacobs
Montgomery Irrigation

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The entire Traqmate system is $899.00 from Saferacer with the SM discount. The only extra items I bought were a dash mount for $29.99 and a hard wire power harness for $14.99.

--------------------
Paul McLester

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a thought.

IMHO, you cannot measure HP using GPS/Accelerometer DAQ. They're just not accurate or repeatable across units/days. You could measure things like the delta of mid corner speed vs top speed on the following straight. But you'd need to account for drafting, etc. The amount of manual effort in reviewing the data from just the top 10 would be staggering.

If you could put a strain gauge in the drive shaft .... but now we're WAY outside the SSM philosophy.

Want my opinion? Well here it is anyway. Random complete tear downs. If ANYTHING is found out of spec in a deliberate way; PERMANENT SCCA ban. Fear is the only was to keep the peace.

-Kyle

Connie 62 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 11
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Connie 62     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since SSM Miatas tend to run in packs, and drafting makes a substantial difference in performance, on-track data acquisition would likely be of little value in equalizing racecars.

--------------------
Jim Thill
#11 SSM
#3 ITA
Thrillz Racing

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not if it's combined with video. In addition, cars that are way above the avg will stick out like a sore thumb with data. I've seen it. It is obvious, even with drafting.

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
In addition, cars that are way above the avg will stick out like a sore thumb with data. I've seen it. It is obvious, even with drafting.

Jason

You've been looking at Steve D.'s data I take it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bingo!

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 30
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Olson:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Holland:
In addition, cars that are way above the avg will stick out like a sore thumb with data. I've seen it. It is obvious, even with drafting.

Jason

You've been looking at Steve D.'s data I take it? [Big Grin]
Alan -

I gave Jason some Spec E30 data just to eff him up.

Steve D.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: