Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Showroom Spec Miata » The Dyno and Sealing procedure is done: NASA SSM

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: The Dyno and Sealing procedure is done: NASA SSM
Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm happy to report that the Procedure for Dyno'ing and sealing SSM's has been completed.

I am now in the process of vetting Dyno and Sealing Shops around the country. If you know of anyone in your area that you think might want to be involved, please have them drop me a line or tell me about them yourself and I'll contact them.

We're looking to have at least one place in all the regions of NASA.

If you are interested in SSM... or have expressed interest in the past, now is the time to put your money where your mouth is and let's get this program off the ground. We're getting pretty good traction here in the SE and now it's time to spread that out.

For those of you diggin' Facebook, I've set up a new group for SSM Matters. I have the group set to request invite to keep spammers out. Let me know if you have any problems getting in:

This link should work but if it doesn't just search for the "Showroom Spec Miata" group in Facebook.

I've also set up a Google group called Showroom Spec Miata. Please sign up there for news and updates if you prefer email and are not a facebook kinda person.

You can request an invite to the group here:

http://groups.google.com/group/showroomspecmiata

Let me know if I can answer any questions and I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Look for an announcement soon about specific shops being added to the program...

Thank you!

Jason

P.S. Thank you to all the people that worked very hard on this document and the whole shebang! You know who you are!

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like the shop with the dyno that reads the lowest ought to become popular very soon ;-)

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

Mediocrity rules!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

And then that dyno will very quickly be thrown out of the program and all their cars have their SSM approvals revoked!

YAY!

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jason, is it helpful to have information about SSM scattered among different websites? Is there something SpecMiata.com needs to do in order for you to keep the info here?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Mediocrity rules!

Kent, SM.com wouldn't be able to do all the things we need to do without a major change of software etc. Therefore the need for some other websites. It's not my first choice but I needed to get some things rolling quickly so there you have it.

Sm.com is about discussions and that's likely the way it will stay so I will update here of course but it would be great for other people to sign up at the other sites to make sure I reach as many people as possible.

thanks

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Greg Garneau

Region: SF
Car #: 99
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Garneau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The only real fair way to run the SSM is if the engines are dyno'd and sealed before they are put in the car... like the SRF. The car and its parts need to be eliminated from the equation. There are plenty of easy ways to "doctor" the car to handicap it a bit. They dyno and seal it at 113 (? i think this is the SFR #) and then the car is returned to normal and suddenly you have 4-5 more hp than the next SSM car. I AM for SSM, but it needs to be done right.

Mediocrity rules!

Greg,

We might get there one day... It is how I would rather do it as well. But we have to prove the concept. The differences (and there will be differences) will be much smaller than the differences between a top dollar car and a budget build.

Jason

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

Andrew C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDCR
Car #: 46
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andrew C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Garneau:
The only real fair way to run the SSM is if the engines are dyno'd and sealed before they are put in the car... like the SRF. The car and its parts need to be eliminated from the equation. There are plenty of easy ways to "doctor" the car to handicap it a bit. They dyno and seal it at 113 (? i think this is the SFR #) and then the car is returned to normal and suddenly you have 4-5 more hp than the next SSM car. I AM for SSM, but it needs to be done right.

That's why you need a dyno at the track... to keep people from "gaming" the dyno. Take them straight from impound to the dyno and retune as necessary after qualifying. Impose a penalty equal to the infraction (if they are 5 hp over the limit after impound, tune them to 5 hp under the limit for the race) and people will get the message quickly.

--------------------
Andrew Coe
WDCR SSM #46
www.rpperformanceracing.com
2009 SSM Rules - CLICK HERE

ctkellett Verified Driver
http://www.syncspeedinc.com

Region: Phila
Car #: 93
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ctkellett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How is this working at Summit Point so far Andrew, I have not had a chance to get down there since MARRS 1, and we all know how that one went. Are you guys now running the dyno @ each event?

--------------------
All the best,

Chris

Sync Speed, Inc.

Racing Communications
(610) 659- 1033
syncspeedinc@mac.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: