Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » Traqmate complete with traqdata

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Traqmate complete with traqdata
Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was able to pick up a traqmate complete set up with traqdata. I am not planning on geting a chase cam so I am not woried. It is an older unit and used so I got a decent deal on it.

I would like to know where people are mounting the SU and how? The velcrow idea just seams like it may come loose if something happens.

Also, where are people mounting the DU where and how? Has anyone used the Roll cage mount? I am thinking of mounting it right above my head on the roolbar. I would not be able to read it at all if it was not that close. Nor would I want to try if was mounted any farther away.

Here is a link to the mount. http://store.traqmate.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=890027&CartID=2

Also, I wold like to tap into the factory oil pressure, coolant, RPM, and brake light. Where would it be most logical to do so. I was thinking the cluster harness for the RPM, oil and coolant. If those are not the most logical places. Then where are better places?

Are there any other inputs that any one would recomend. Maybe not at this time but later whe I have some more funds.

Any thing else to do with this unit that any one may think is helpfull I would like to hear about.

Thank you in advnace for any help.

Have a great day,
Jared

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mount the SU on the tunnel. I bought the SU mounting bracket from traqmate, but you just need to make an aluminum tray. I tried the DU dash mount, but the angle was too low.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have my fire extingusher mounted on the tunnel. How ever I will see if it will fit. It is hard since I still have a pasenger seat in the car to mount the extingusher any other place with the seat still there.

I was thinking the same about the angle of the DU beeing mounted on the dash. That is why I am looking at the rollbar mount. Do you think having it on the bar would be a good place?

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not sure I would want to be looking up to see my lap times or the predicitve when i am coming out of a corner. George Munson made a mount for me that goes up the right side (passenger) of the center console and then holds the DU above the eyeball vents (sort of reverse L shape).

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just used the $12 "display mounting kit" that allows you to latch it and unlatch the DU easily (which is imperative). The back of that I screwed to a piece of heavy-ish sheet metal that has a single hole drilled in the bottom for one of the screws that is behind the eyeball vents - sheet metal fits between the dash and the console cover and held down tight by that screw. Didn't even have to cut anything to install the bracket. [Big Grin] You can see where it sits in a video: http://www.vimeo.com/3826397 Use stout sheet metal and give it a twist to discourage vibration and point it toward your head.

Steve Sturm Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 90
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Sturm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine is velcro'd above the center air vents and hasn't come loose despite my best efforts to shake it loose.

fastbrewer

Region: Utah
Car #: 93
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fastbrewer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have any pictures but maybe soon I could take some.
My DU is mounted above the eyeball vents angled towards me. I built a mount with aluminum and it is only velcroed to mount. It never comes loose.
SU I had on the tunnel but I found it was giving me false readings at time because sometimes my elbow would hit it and disrupt the data. I just built a tray mount out of aluminum bar and attached it to the old seat mount on the passenger floor and then made the angles so it mounted to the floor and was level.

I tapped the rpm and water temp at the ecu. I have a 1996 with OBD2. The water temp works here by setting the temp range and as the temps rises the voltage drops.

-Jon

Make sure that the cable that connects to the DU is securely fastened. I had mine hanging down and the cable would disconnect from the vibrations. Sucks to lose your display when you are in the middle of qualifying.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Sturm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jfornachon:
Also, I wold like to tap into the factory oil pressure, coolant, RPM, and brake light... Are there any other inputs that any one would recomend.

How does one use these inputs to improve speed? What is the benefit of having these inputs, for example, in knowing that your coolant temp was at 210 degrees as you hit T5 or that you were at 5800 RPM coming out of T3 (and especially for the tach, as that can be inferred from reported speed and gear)?

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Sturm:How does one use these inputs to improve speed? What is the benefit of having these inputs, for example, in knowing that your coolant temp was at 210 degrees as you hit T5 or that you were at 5800 RPM coming out of T3 (and especially for the tach, as that can be inferred from reported speed and gear)? [/QB]
For me it's not about how it's going to make me faster. I will have an idea about what is going on with my car. How ever I see what you are getting at. Thank you for the imput.

Have a great day,
Jared

quote:
Originally posted by Mark McCallister:
I just used the $12 "display mounting kit" that allows you to latch it and unlatch the DU easily (which is imperative). The back of that I screwed to a piece of heavy-ish sheet metal that has a single hole drilled in the bottom for one of the screws that is behind the eyeball vents - sheet metal fits between the dash and the console cover and held down tight by that screw. Didn't even have to cut anything to install the bracket. [Big Grin] You can see where it sits in a video: URL=http://www.vimeo.com/3826397]http://www.vimeo.com/3826397[/URL] Use stout sheet metal and give it a twist to discourage vibration and point it toward your head.

Thank you for the idea. I like it. The only issue is that It may be hard to see in the car at speeds or with glare. I like things fairly close to eliminate any distractions. That is why I was thinking about the roll bar mount. I could always fab something to lower it a bit so that it is a little lower.

Have a great day,
Jared

ahamos

Region: ODR
Car #: 17
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ahamos   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Sturm:
How does one use these inputs to improve speed? What is the benefit of having these inputs, for example, in knowing that your coolant temp was at 210 degrees as you hit T5 or that you were at 5800 RPM coming out of T3 (and especially for the tach, as that can be inferred from reported speed and gear)?

If your coolant temp is 210 anywhere, you're not producing optimal power. Knowing that will help you make the car run better, which will help make you run faster.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Also, I wold like to tap into the factory oil pressure, coolant, RPM, and brake light... Are there any other inputs that any one would recomend.

Knowing your RPMs is one of the best ways to figure out if you're using all your motor. Stick your head in many cars (not necessarily SM) and you'll see a tach but no speedo. Watching your tach the whole way around the track is one of the best ways to make lots of errors but checking it at certain points will tell you how a change you made in the last corner helped or hurt your speed. I'd rather have RPMs logged than try to figure it out from speed and gear, especially since tire diameter isn't constant with speed and wear. Ever notice how your street car speedo errs progressively on the slow side the faster you go if you time the mile markers? I use my speedo on the track more out of curiosity.

Do a little research and you'll find all sorts of ways people use various types of data, some to figure out what's going on with the car, and other to figure out what's going on with the driver. Much has been written on it so I won't regurgitate what's already been said many other places.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Thanks Keith. I was tryig to figure out how to say it.

Any one else out there have any other ideas?

Have a great day,
Jared

If I do tap into the ecu harness is there anything that I have to do to the wires so that I don't jack up the signals to the ecu?

Is there a oil pressure going to the ecu in the 1.6 cars?

I would like ot keep all wires in a loom so that I don't have wires comming from all dirrections.

Have a great day,
Jared

aged racer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge/ Roanoke
Car #: 85 (SM now, was SSB)
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for aged racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you guys could post some pics of how you mounted your display unit, w/be most appreciated.

thks- Steve

Ok, I got me system back and am going to install it. I am wondering if I can get the coolant temp, tack, readings off the back of the cluster?

Also what should I set the coolant temp readings at.

0v = what temp?
5v = what temp.

Is there any speciffic setting for the tach?

Also My seat is mounted on sliders at this time and I was thinking of mounting the unit under my seat. Is there any sugestions that you can give me about making a mount?

As aged racer requested are there any pictures out there of custom mounts. Lets see them.

Thank you all in advance. I have two weekends comming up and I would love to get them recorded before winter comes.

Have a great day,
Jared

As you sugested I am going to install it on sunday by taping into the wires comming off the computer.

What range would you recomend that I set for the water temp sensor?

As far as the computer goes will it disrupt the signals to it? I have a 91.

Any help is apreciated.

Have a great day,
Jared

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Region: WDC/ Houston
Car #: 33
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
As you sugested I am going to install it on sunday by taping into the wires comming off the computer.

What range would you recomend that I set for the water temp sensor?

As far as the computer goes will it disrupt the signals to it? I have a 91.

Any help is apreciated.

Have a great day,
Jared

Tap the screws behind the instrument cluster. I have oil pressure, water temp and RPM. You don't need brake light. The SU 'senses' when you brake and press on the gas

--------------------
Randy Ramos

http://WWW.MeatheadRacing.com

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ralliboy   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Ok, I got me system back and am going to install it. I am wondering if I can get the coolant temp, tack, readings off the back of the cluster?

Also what should I set the coolant temp readings at.

0v = what temp?
5v = what temp.

Is there any speciffic setting for the tach?

Also My seat is mounted on sliders at this time and I was thinking of mounting the unit under my seat. Is there any sugestions that you can give me about making a mount?

As aged racer requested are there any pictures out there of custom mounts. Lets see them.

Thank you all in advance. I have two weekends comming up and I would love to get them recorded before winter comes.

Have a great day,
Jared

Oil
low:70 V=2.500
high:42 4.597

Water temp
low:214.6 v=0.968
high:70.000 v=8-871

yes iknow they're inverted but that's what works.

--------------------
Randy Ramos

Randy, thank you for clairafying that. I was questioning it as I was reading it. That helps out a lot thank you.

I found out that on the 1.6 you can get the RPM, Coolant temp, and Oil pressure off the back of the cluster.

That makes it a lot more straight forward for the 1.6's out here.

I am assuming this is possible due to out actual pressure guages. Unlike the the 1.8"s out there.

Another reason to have a 1.6.

Have a great day,
Jared

Just read the post before your last post. I am now one of tose people.

I will post some info on what screws I taped for what when I am done with the installation.

have a great day,
Jared

quote:
Originally posted by Ralliboy:I have oil pressure, water temp and RPM.
So you can help me connect a RPM feed? You know, to keep me from f***ing it up?

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ralliboy:I have oil pressure, water temp and RPM.
So you can help me connect a RPM feed? You know, to keep me from f***ing it up?
My fee is a case of Propel. and a lap dance but not from you [Wink]

--------------------
Randy Ramos

Randy,

As far as the numbers that you listed abouve for coolant and oil pressure.

It looks like the oil psi is 5v reference adn coolant is 10v reference. Is this correct?

Also is any of the Ing. bolts ok or is there a specific one that is better? I don't want to connect it to a 12v source adn fry it.

Have a great day,
Jared

Sorry my bad I found a the solution. I needed the Tm screw.

Also at cold start-up the temp reads 214.6 deg. I thought they were backwards as you had them written. I tried and swaped them and that still didnt work. The temp reading didn't even switch. Still pinned at 214.6.

Oil pressure is at 50 Psi while the dash reads 30ish.

Thank you fo all the help so far.

Have a great day,
Jared

Ralliboy Verified Driver
Rock Star

Swap the volts values too nit just temp values.
Mine reads 70 at start up.
hmmm...

--------------------
Randy Ramos

Ok the readings are working properly now. However when I get to about 2.5k rpm the Oil pressure falls and rises the coolant just drops to the cold position. I am assuming that this is a wiring issue.

Has anyonee ever ran into this?

Have a great day,
Jared

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: