Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » AIM Mychron 3 Gold Kart

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: AIM Mychron 3 Gold Kart
VTBDflyer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for VTBDflyer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of setting up a spec miata. My son has a mychron 3 gold kart that he has donated to the build. I've been told that the inductive RPM pickup doesn't work very well. Is there anyone who has gotten a gold kart version to work? Hopefully I don't need to go out and buy a new data logger.

Thanks

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got the inductive pickup to work on my old Drack (same deal just older). It was a PITA but it worked.

I also had a M3 Gold Kart, and sold it for most of what my M3 Gold Auto cost.

EBudman Verified Driver
Idle Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: #71
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EBudman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got the same setup on my car & have had no problems with the tach. I've got mine clipped on the number 3 or 4 cylinder wire, away from the other plug wires.

Eric

Richard Pressman Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 87
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Richard Pressman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I couldn't get the inductive pickup to work on our car. I called Roger at Victory Lane Data and he was very happy to help me. To use the tach signal in the Miata you've got to change a wire in the tach pickup connector, remove the inductive "pickup" and connect the wire directly to the tach signal wire (I used the one in the engine bay diagnostic connector.)

Here is a copy of what he wrote to me:
quote:
Richard,

Here is a link to a tech document on your M3 Kart Gold or Plus:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/documents/PDFs/ENG/Loggers/Datasheet_MY3PGK_eng.pdf

If you look at the pinouts for the RPM connection on page 4 you will see that your current setup (inductive) has you conected to pin 1, if you want to go to the Miata tach signal (12v square wave) you need to be connected to pin 3.

I believe you will not need a ground.

Hope this helps, let me know how it works out!

Roger

Once I changed the connector it worked perfectly with the tach signal.

If you can't get the pin schematic from Aim's web site PM me with your email and I'll send you the PDF.

[ 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Richard Pressman ]

VTBDflyer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for VTBDflyer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks guys, I see that it can be done, so I'll just have to keep at it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: