Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » Traqmate SU location: trans tunnel or trunk?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Traqmate SU location: trans tunnel or trunk?
TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where is the preferred location for mounting the sensor unit: the transmission tunnel or in the trunk? Can you think of any reason NOT to mount it in the trunk? It seems like it would be more secure and safe in the trunk.

[ 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: TR6 ]

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are talking about a unit such as the TraqMate, I would mount on the tranny tunnel (I did). This puts the sensor almost right in the center of the x and y axis of the car, giving more accurate g-force readings than in the trunk. I have mine mounted all the way at the rear of the tunnel, therefore out of the way of my arm/elbow.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

TR6, Lee is correct on the location for the reasons he sited. I mounted mine in the same basic location but installed small 1/4" to 3/8" underneath for cooling puposes. Its been there for 2 years.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 I used the mounting bracket and velcro from Traqmate and put it on the tunnel. Even after a head on hit the SU was fine and didn't move. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Trans tunnel on a mounting bracket. I used 10-24 rubber isolated "Wellnuts" to try to filter out some of the accelerometer high frequency vibration that is not performance related. I think a velcro mount would do about the same thing. Wellnuts look like rubber tophats with a brass threaded insert in the center. You place them in a drilled hole and as you tighten the thread the rubber expands behind the drilled hole preventing thereby trapping it. In my production days I held front airdams and fender flares on the same way. Very secure but things can move around a little if needed. You can purchase wellnuts at Home Depot and Lowes but there are cheaper places.

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, this is for a Traqmate. I left that out by mistake.

Thanks for the tips!

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: