Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » String Pot Wiring and Programming

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: String Pot Wiring and Programming
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've made a bracket so that a string pot will measure throttle position on a 1.6.

Could someone give me a schematic and the programming for a DL-1?

Do I need to run the 5v reference to the pot and then the pot will output voltage which the dl-1 can read?

Basically just need to set zero and a max point slightly above max throttle.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I haven't done it yet but I think you are close. I would imagine you need the 5V reference to the pot and then the return wire to one of your analog inputs on the DL1. I think you also need a pull up resistor between your 5v ref and the input wire. Say 1k ohm resistor or something like that.

Kyle

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle's incorrect. The string pot is already a voltage divider - no pull-up resistor needed.

You should run a 5v reference and ground to the string pot (can pick this up from back of the DL-1) and then the return / signal wire from the string pot will just be a voltage in between 0V and 5V depending on the extension of the string.

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The equation for the DL-1 to give Throttle Position in terms of %of Max will be

(Vsignal-Vmin) / (Vmax-Vmin) * 100

Where Vsignal is whatever voltage you are reading on the signal wire to analog input and Vmax / Vmin are these voltages when you are at WOT or No throttle

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Chris!

Remember reading last night that 3 terminal pots don't need resistor as they are already voltage dividers. Two terminal pots need the resistor.

Just found this info on sensor hook up from the Race Technology site:

-

Go for it Vick.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Already forwarded this thread to my buddy who is helping me set up my DL. He's installed a few of these before and always used the sensors from Race Technology.

If all goes well with the install of the sensors and Dash 2 I'll share pictures and stories. If things don't go well.......there will be a list of "don't do this".

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: