Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » Dead transponder?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Dead transponder?
Rob Gendreau

Region: NorCal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Gendreau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got a used AMB 260DP transponder and I think it's dead. No green light shows on the unit when attached to a 12v power supply. And I tried waving it over a couple of compasses (iPhone and plain old needle) and got nothing; I assume it would register at least a faint pull on them.

There's no way to open the thing up, and I checked for repair services online but only battery replacement for those types of units seems to be available.

I'm new to this, but for a $400 gizmo that everyone has to have this is pretty lame.

Am I correct it's dead? Any suggestions about repair?

Rob

datadude

Icon 1 posted  Profile for datadude     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The life cycle on transponders is abut 5 years if it is treated and charged correctly. I would say yours is dead. Consider it the cost of racing, like new tires and these last longer. When you get a new one you can opt to buy a warranty on it.

Rob Gendreau

Region: NorCal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Gendreau     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's a direct-wired version, so there's nothing to charge. But if even that has a 5-year life cycle, then I'd definitely go the rental route. At $25 per, that's 6 events a year and it's guaranteed to work. I'll have to check into that, thanks.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In 10 years of using transponders I have seen 2 hardwired units go bad. Check for power close to the transponder to eliminate a broken wire. Then contact AMB directly, I think they are in Georgia??? They have been very helpfull to me whenever I have had a transponder issue

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
In 10 years of using transponders I have seen 2 hardwired units go bad. Check for power close to the transponder to eliminate a broken wire. Then contact AMB directly, I think they are in Georgia??? They have been very helpfull to me whenever I have had a transponder issue

Dave

I had one die for no obvious reason. Sent it into AMB for service. They said that since it was out of warranty, all I could do was buy a new one - you could've told me that when you asked me to mail it to you......

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: