Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » RacePak IQ3?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: RacePak IQ3?
juliancates

Icon 1 posted  Profile for juliancates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anybody here using an IQ3 for data? I still have mine from the BMW and was considering whether to use it in the Miata or go with something simpler (minus the dash) like a Traqmate.

If using the IQ3, where did you mount it? I know there's a replacement blank I could use for the dash cluster to mount the IQ3 there, but if there's one thing I learned from the BMW it's that not having a fuel gauge really sucks. On the other hand, is the fuel gauge something on the Miata that's easily replaced with an aftermarket unit?

Anyway, just curious what other IQ3 users have done. Thanks!

juliancates

Icon 1 posted  Profile for juliancates   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK, I decided to go ahead and get the dash blanking plate from AA and mount the IQ3 dash and an aftermarket fuel level gauge there.

My hesitation in replacing the stock dash came from my BMW days, where I had to go without a fuel gauge after replacing the dash, since it had two senders wired in a series, making the resistance range 20-500 ohm. Couldn't find a gauge that would work with that range. On the Miata, though, it's much easier. I found an autometer gauge that is programmable and accepts values from 0-280 ohm, so I should be set.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got a G2X and mounted it to the plastic face of the gauge cluster. It blocks the speedo.

FWIW, I only use this data acq system for lap times and the shift lights. I tried to use the software a few years ago when I got it but it's so user unfriendly that I gave up on it. Did you have the same experience with yours or can you actually read the data that it collects?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

juliancates

Yeah, there is definitely a steep learning curve for the Datalink software. However, once you finally figure it out, it's pretty useful I think. It's very powerful... just not easy to use.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: