Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Data Acquisition » Engine Monitoring

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Engine Monitoring
notsure Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for notsure     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I apologize if this is an incredibly stupid question, but I was going to research aftermarket gauges and thought I'd first ask here.

Can or do data aquisitions systems monitor engine temp, oil pressure, rpm's, etc ?

"All in one" so other gauges are not needed ?

Thanks

Icon 1 posted  Profile for notsure     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok. Stupid question. I just read the post prior to mine and evidently the answer to my question is yet.

I typically do a ton of reading prior to hitting the keyboard.

Note to self. Ensure to do it always.

Sorry.

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually that is a question that ends up being answered by personal preference. A decent data acquisition system will provide access to the data you mention, and much more. However, most folks who add a data system also maintain backup systems in case of a data system outage. When I add a data system, I will add individual gauges for oil temp and pressure, as well as water temp.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Nice to know & makes sense.

Like I'd mentioned, I'm just researching and trying to learn about this aspect along with everything else. I'm building my first car. I should have the motor pulled by next weekend and others had mentioned that before it goes back in would be a good time to install sensors for any other gauges I may be using, etc.

So thats why I thought I'd read up on them some.

Regardless of what I do, I like the "backup" approach.

Thanks Glenn

Jeff Wasilko

Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Wasilko     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by G.H.:

Like I'd mentioned, I'm just researching and trying to learn about this aspect along with everything else. I'm building my first car. I should have the motor pulled by next weekend and others had mentioned that before it goes back in would be a good time to install sensors for any other gauges I may be using, etc.

Thanks Glenn

quote:
Originally posted by G.H.:

Thanks Glenn

One approach to consider is the Autometer 'Pro' gauges that have data outputs (0-5V). That lets you have one sender that hits the gauge first, and then the gauge feeds the data acq system.

-j

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glenn,

You have to ask yourself what information is important to you when driving and what to datalog. IMHO, you need 3 bits if information while driving, temp, lap timer (predictive and total) and tach. Everything else (oil P ect.) data log. On a 16 car maybe add the AFR to the drivers information.

If you use good components, redundency is not necessary, especially while driving. The driver should have only enough information to drive and adjust driving to the best possible finish.

Honestly, todays technology is good. I use PiResearch data, but any major brand, AIM, CDS etc will work reliably.

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: