» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Pro Miata » WCTC Watkins Glen

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: WCTC Watkins Glen
Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did anyone else get to watch the race on DVR? Holy cow that was a huge wreck that took Daniel's out! Looks like at least three cars with bent tubs. Looks like Tri Point missed the setup for the weekend, but they were coming back till Jason got punted and Daniel's got destroyed...

JD, care to add some color? Glad to see everyone walk away from it...

[ 08-10-2008, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Lance Snyder ]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, I saw it just now. Crazy... I feel for the Bimmerworld crew. Those guys are super cool.

Great job Tindol, finally stepping up!

T.J. Kearney Verified Driver
Male Member

Region: Finger Lakes
Car #: 85
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holy crap. Is it live or is it Memorex?! Did anyone else get deja vu watching that?!?! Putnam copied our man Kyle Disque! Flashback anyone???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMDqYFrNxPQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9dIX6Wei2d4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nlcx1jwzLWk

It was almost exactly like the crash at the "Fun One"....

JD, there are a few of us here that know exactly how it feels (referenced above). Hope you were a-okay...looked a little tender walking away....helluva drive up until that point.

Those Bimmerworld guys are cursed...like, in a bad way....yikes...run away!

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, I forgot about that one, but it was the same deal. That tire wall could probably go and it would be safer.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I missed the episode today but read about the race last week.

Ouch...that brings back memories...

Hope everyone was OK.

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Tom, we renamed it the "not so fun one"

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Male Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Charlie,

At least the WC guys didn't do it on the first lap. [Eek!]

Agree 100% with the name....

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is the in car.

--------------------
-Bob Adams

MegaModerator

Bob,

Thanks for the link! It really doesn't do the wreck justice though. The Speed footage was pretty amazing...

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Amazingly all three BMW's are getting fixed. The only car that is being written off is the Mazda...

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What happened to the steering wheel in Seth Tomas' car?

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

soupy

Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not a record we want, but according to the safety crew we have the record for the most cars taken out in one wreck at that track.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

smtejas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for smtejas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yea. Good eye. What did happen to the steering wheel on Seth's car?

Did the rack get hammered so bad on impact that it made the steering wheel funk out/offset like that. Hard to imagine that. It looks like the steering wheel bent, sheared or warped at an offset angle to the steering shaft. I can't imagine any death grip and G's upon impact that did that. If so, Seth has some strong bones in his forearm. Did the quick release weld fail? Bolts shear? This would be good info from a prep standpoint.

Anyone tape this thing on DVR from a broadcasters perspective outside the cars? It's major easy to dump the Speed coverage to a video camera and post online.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not surprised JD's car was a write off. After that first impact with James he ended directly against the pit wall, no give... when Nick's car hit him there was nowhere to go to release energy. I'm glad everyone is ok, the Bimmerworld folks are great guys and sucks to see that happen.

Is it me or could they remove that tirewall entirely to stop bouncing cars out so much into traffic? I don't see it helping much on a head on and with the amount of energy it reflects it only puts cars back into the middle of the track. I think James would have much preferred the bounce an armco would give as opposed to a rubber band tirewall bounce.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:
Not a record we want, but according to the safety crew we have the record for the most cars taken out in one wreck at that track.

I'm surprised. I saw a huge ALMS crash there a couple of years ago when rain came and surprised everyone. Same corner.

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ara, that would be Grand-AM, not ALMS.

--------------------

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, something like that. [Wink] Endurance race, big expensive cars, lots of carnage.

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is the Grand Am wreck you're referring to.

Here is a video of how the track looked in 1978. Notice the grass on the left side of the pit straight.

They changed the curbing for T11 when they paved some of those grass area's for the IRL. The curbing now extends all the way out to a belted tire wall.

[ 06-21-2008, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Monkeywrench ]

--------------------
-Bob Adams

soupy

Ara, they were talking number of acrs. I think we had 16 with damage and 4 or5 were write-offs.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Monkeywrench:
Here is the Grand Am wreck you're referring to.

That was the one, I'm more appalled that 25 seconds after the initial downpour you had cars flying in at full speed. I don't know if radio communications were not good but some guys were going way to fast if they were warned.

--------------------

Male Member

The tires at the track out point on turn 11 are a bad idea...if a car touches them it's over in a big way for them...and anyone following close behind. What should be a glancing blow turns into a pirouette of carnage. If the NASCAR guys have one of those wrecks it'll change (SAFER barrier anyone?).

P.S.- the GrandAm wreck was a different animal all together. They never made it to the track out point.

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Administrator

Welp, as predicted... it happened with the Nascrappers. McDowell and Gilliland get into a pissing match, McDowell hits Gilliland into the wall at about the same angle Clay hit.. and of course he bounces in front of everyone else. 9 car wreck.

--------------------

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good thing those barrels were on the end of the tirewall.......

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: