Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Pro Miata » VW TDI Cup begins on SPEED today

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: VW TDI Cup begins on SPEED today
mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For all those interested, the VW TDI cup begins on SPEED today with the first race at VIR. I have listed the proposed airtimes for all those DVR and Tivo users. It was great racing and involed a few of our SM racers, so should be pretty good on TV. Here's the schedule:

VIR
Sun, Oct 26 2:30 PM

Portland
Sat, Nov 1 3:00 PM

Lime Rock
Sat, Nov 1 3:30 PM

Iowa
Sat, Nov 8 5:00 PM

New Jersey 1
Sat, Nov 8 5:30 PM

New Jersey 2
Sat, Nov 15 5:00 PM

Road Atlanta
Sat, Nov 15 5:30 PM

Year in Review
Sat, Nov 22 5:00 PM

Jacob Groves Verified Driver

Region: NASA Southwest
Car #: 77
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jacob Groves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Saw the Portland race. It looks pretty fun. How do the cars compare to a Spec Miata?

--------------------
"This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons!"

ToddW Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Objects in review mirror are losing

Region: SFR
Car #: 67
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ToddW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been recording these....This is some really great racing. I hope the series returns next year.

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think it is. If you check the classifieds you'll see that one of the drivers is selling a car to raise funds to run it again.

The racing is great, and I think some of the highlight clips were filmed on the go pro cameras i saw attached to the hoods. the one highlight they keep showing was filmed at VIR i think...car went under the other one. serious bumping going on.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Ara Verified Driver Series Champ
MX-5 CUP and SM Peddler

Region: SFR
Car #: 11,33
Year : 99,90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ara   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Groves:
Saw the Portland race. It looks pretty fun. How do the cars compare to a Spec Miata?

Jettas are wwd (wrong wheel drive). They are also turbo diesels, have a TON of torque, ABS, slicks, a really fancy transmission, rear doors, and a metal roof. Otherwise, they are the same.

--------------------
www.alararacing.com

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jacob, sorry it took me a bit to get back. These cars are not very similar to spec miata's. The format for the VW TDI cup is truly spec! Arrive and drive (they may switch cars on you, etc.) The drivers are only allowed to make air pressure adjustments of 2psi up or down. In my opinion this is a detriment to those drivers that know how to dial a car in. However, these are young racers that many in the series feel should be able to showcase their talent without the technical aspects. Not my view, but everyone had to deal with it. Also, these are paddle direct shift "tiptronic" transmissions like the one's used in formula 1. Very cool technology with no clutch. They raced on michelin slicks from the porsche cup. From what I heard you could only race the car as hard as it would go, not as hard as you could go. What I mean is the cars were not as receptive as our miata's were to pushing the limits. The series put very conservative setups on the cars and if you watch any of the races you can see them bouncing around, which made it difficult to push the car harder than it would let you. Since no changes were allowed you had to adapt to the car rather than dial the car into your driving style.

Another aspect of this series is that they all used AIM data and the data from the fastest car in each session was shared among everyone. It really improves these kids ability to analyze data and it's amazing that even as spec as a series can get, there are still mild differences among the cars.

The biggest difference is that the winner of the TDI cup got $250,000 and a chance to go to Europe to drive in the Polo cup. A great immediate prize. Mazda has a great ladder system as well, but it is harder to jump up on a rung (i.e more money and time to win an SCCA or Barber championship) in the Mazda ladder for a young kid with few resources.

The only things similar about these two classes are that they both have great racing and are very affordable series to run.

Mat

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: