Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Pro Miata » Freedom Collects first win at three rivers along with p3

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Freedom Collects first win at three rivers along with p3
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not sure if someone mentioned this or not? But I would like to congratulate the guys at Freedom for their first win in ST. Charbonell won and Whitis/Long finished P3! Very strong showing guys, my sincere congratulations, i know how hard you have worked.
Jim
http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/results.cfm?series=k&eid=885&sid=660

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dragy ; u-r a wee bit lay8 ...
those Freedom boys have already drunk themselves into a stupor ... lots of Canadian beer [Big Grin]
Big Time first Win !! 2 of the 3 cars on the podium, a nice payday from GA & Mazda ...
way to go mr FSU [thumbsup]
some side trivia ; it's Carbonell, not Charbonell, both are Andrews', both AC's drive like awesome and both last names mean the exact same, (from the latin 'carbon').
only difference is that the young AC (19 yrs old) doesn't drink and your nemesis AC 'lives' at the bar.
[burst]

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know, I missed it completely, but didnt see a post either. [scratchchin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats! Derek.

--------------------
Paul McLester

inflatable Series Champ

Region: CalClub
Icon 1 posted  Profile for inflatable     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Of course this race isn't televised. I wish Koni would setup some online viewing of non-televised events. Post it to Youtube.

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

or Derek posting some incar of #146 passing #145 on lap 15 and #171 on lap 31 and some of lap 68 while holding off the VW for P-1 ... some 'edited' views would be fine [Smile]
have spoken with half the podium about the DFL to FIRST performance by young Andrew C but it would be nice to view some of the teams 1st win !

[yep]

MegaModerator

Freedom Autosport Collects 1st Win in Koni SportsCar Challenge, Also Taking a 3rd Place Podium Result

ST Highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKxd9RzuW8&feature=player_embedded

August 15, 2009 - TROIS-RIVIČRES, Quebec, Canada. Street Tuner (ST) - It was a good day to be part of the Carbonell family. Andrew Carbonell ended APR Motorsport's three-race winning streak and gave Freedom Autosport its first-ever Grand-Am KONI Sports Car Challenge victory Saturday in the Street Tuner (ST) portion of the 40th annual Grand Prix de Trois-Rivičres. He shared the car with father Alfredo Carbonell.

Carbonell was one of three leaders in the caution-free race around the 1.521-mile, 10-turn temporary street circuit, and he and father became the first father-son combo to win together in KONI Challenge competition since Jim (father) and Jamie Holtom on June 19, 2005 at Mosport International Raceway.

It was the pair's first-ever race together in the KONI Challenge, and their first victories each in the series. Andrew Carbonell led the final 31 circuits of the 71-lap, 90-minute race, winning by 4.821 seconds over Ian Baas and co-driver Josh Hurley in the No. 171 APR/Gunther VW Volkswagen GTI. The pair started 19th after Alfredo Carbonell's qualifying run Saturday morning, which gained them a race-high 18 positions, and averaged 71.008 mph.

"This is event is special to me," said Andrew Carbonell, who won in his 17th career KONI Challenge start. "I was here in 2007 with (SCCA) MX-5 Cup and I fell in love with the event and have been dying to come back. To be able to come back and stand on the top of the podium is just amazing, especially here with my father. It's my first professional win and probably a win I'll remember forever for a lot of reasons. I can't thank enough people for this. It's just amazing."

For the elder Carbonell - a late-weekend replacement for No. 146 Mazda/Freedom Autosport Mazda MX-5 regular Rhett O'Doski - it was only his second race in KONI Challenge competition. Both drivers live in Miami, Fla., where the 61-year-old Alfredo Carbonell emigrated to from Cuba in 1961.

"First of all, I want to thank all the fans here at Trois-Rivičres," Alfredo Carbonell said. "I also want to thank Mazda and Freedom Autosport, who support all of our war veterans and troops. It was a wonderful weekend here. I had a very hard time qualifying. It was not a problem. I handed the car to the hotshoe here: my son. He took care of us and put up a great battle after that."

Freedom also completed the podium, as Tom Long and Derek Whitis finished third in the No. 145 Mazda/Freedom Autosport Mazda MX-5.

“This is a momentous occasion for the Freedom Autosport team and Mazda Motorsports,” commented Tom Long, who now has three podium finishes in 2009. “The Freedom Autosport guys deserve this win, and to give Mazda their first victory in Koni competition of 2009 is just spectacular. It’s great to get another double podium result like this as well (Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, May 2009). I couldn’t ask for a better crew, car, or co-driver… just fantastic!”

Long Battles for a Top 5 Finish in GS Race

GS Highlight video: http://www.grand-am.com/multimedia/video_pop.cfm?mid=560

August 16, 2009 - TROIS-RIVIČRES, Quebec, Canada. Grand Sport (GS) - Matt Bell earned his second victory of the 2009 Grand-Am KONI Sports Car Challenge Grand Sport (GS) season Sunday in the 40th edition of the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivičres, holding off Billy Johnson and giving co-driver Don Salama his first-ever GS win.

Bell led the final 45 laps of the 66-lap, 90-minute race around the 1.521-mile, 10-turn temporary street circuit in the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M3, Turner Motorsport's third victory of 2009. At times during his stint, Bell owned nearly an eight-second lead, but that was cut into late in the race by Tom Long. The gap diminished on Lap 52, when the yellow flag came out for debris on the track as a result from a crash involving John Potter's No. 41 Magnus Racing Porsche 997. It marked the first time a caution period occurred in a GS race since TheGlen.com 200 at Watkins Glen International.

The green flag flew on Lap 55, and Bell was momentarily challenged by Long before positions began changing behind him. With that racing going on, he pulled away, moving to fifth in the standings and keeping his championship hopes alive with only two races remaining this season.

Johnson moved through the field to take second just a couple laps after the final caution, giving himself a second consecutive GS podium at Trois-Rivičres and the first for Jack Roush Jr. at the track. They drove together in the No. 61 Valvoline/Roush Ford Mustang GT.

For several laps, the pole sitting car of Ken Wilden followed Johnson through the field, and took over third from Tom Long on Lap 59. Wilden set the race's fastest lap two circuits later, and his efforts awarded him with a two-point increase on James Gue and Bret Seafuse. Rounding out the top five were Tom Long and Charlie Putman in the No. 91 Sparco/Import Car Store BMW M3.

“What a race. It was a shame to see that late race debris caution come out with just 15 minutes left”, commented Tom Long. “Our car was working so well on the long run, I thought we had the podium result wrapped up today. The Mustangs were just so strong on the final restart, I had nothing for them. I want to thank Charlie Putman and the Automatic team for this opportunity.” Long subbing in for Charles Espenlaub this weekend, who was absent with a prior racing commitment.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very cool, congrats!

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats!

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Chester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chester     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations..

--------------------
Chet Franklin
chesterwfranklin@yahoo.com

DerekFSU Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DerekFSU     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks fellow SM'ers. It was a great weekend. FINALLY a win. It wouldn't have happened without the hard work by JD2 (Jim Daniels and Jim Drago), the original work by BSI & Todd Buras, and all the work put in by Glenn & Tom Long leading the Freedom crew.

Without my STRONG 1.7 laps in the car before handing it off to Tom, not sure we would have had a chance at the podium 87 minutes later!

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am sure it was your very fast 1.7 laps!!! Congrats!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice job guys! After watching a few of these races first hand and seeing how fast you guys have been, with nothing but bad luck so far it was only a matter of time until the maiden win occured. Watch out Koni, the first one is always the hardest!

Jason Saini Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Saini   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats guys, well deserved win and a culmination of tons of time and effort by some talented and dedicated people. Well done!

--------------------
-Jason Saini :: Fort Worth, TX
-Team MER :: 2007 MX-5 Cup Champion
-2008 SPEED TC Rookie of the Year!
-Based at Motorsport Ranch
-Autobarn Mazda . SafeRACER

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Outstanding... Guys showing that spending time in SM can pay off... Sweeet...

Mark Zwolle

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Long overdue guys! Congratulations!!!

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Flow Bench Verified Driver

Region: Southeast
Car #: 4
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Flow Bench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great job! Freedom's gonna roll now, 1 down!

--------------------
----------------------------------
Craig Foster #4 Atlanta Region SM Champion 2009, 2010
Delainey Motorsport, LLC
Farnbacher - OPM - East Street Auto - Rogaine

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: