Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Pro Miata » Joe Mc to "tune" Playboy cars

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Joe Mc to "tune" Playboy cars
IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

According to a paddock source at Autobahn, Joe Mc and his magic will be used by the Playboy cars. Not sure of when or in what regard, but that's the scoop.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by IPRESS:
According to a paddock source at Autobahn, Joe Mc and his magic will be used by the Playboy cars. Not sure of when or in what regard, but that's the scoop.

There is HOPE!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad to see it as it has been accessible to a select few teams for a couple years now. Good that all will get the same benefits in the near future and bring this class to as spec as you can get (i.e many of the issues in SM are non-existent in this series).

I applaud Mazda for its efforts to continue to make this pro series one of the best in the country. There are very few series where you can buy a race winning car for around $30K and if you finish in the top 5 all season you will almost pay for your years expenses. The purses in this series are great and I know they are working on some of the other issues that caused me to hold off for the rest of this season. Mazda has put a lot of effort into this series and are continuing to improve it. I look forward to seeing the direction of this series as it continues to improve and would encourage all to take a good look at it for next year.

Mat

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
Glad to see it as it has been accessible to a select few teams for a couple years now. Good that all will get the same benefits in the near future and bring this class to as spec as you can get (i.e many of the issues in SM are non-existent in this series).

I applaud Mazda for its efforts to continue to make this pro series one of the best in the country. There are very few series where you can buy a race winning car for around $30K and if you finish in the top 5 all season you will almost pay for your years expenses. The purses in this series are great and I know they are working on some of the other issues that caused me to hold off for the rest of this season. Mazda has put a lot of effort into this series and are continuing to improve it. I look forward to seeing the direction of this series as it continues to improve and would encourage all to take a good look at it for next year.

Mat

I agree... In a couple of years, we'll crapcan SM and have SMX5 as a regional/national class and be done with all this nonsense.

It's also great that SCCA got over their unwillingness to embrace the guy who could have saved us a lot of fuel/timing/afm grief.

--------------------

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
Glad to see it as it has been accessible to a select few teams for a couple years now.

I know of only one team that had the ability last year, but I don't know if they utilized it because I didn't drive for that team. So far my understanding is that two ECU's were found reprogrammed today.

Since you're not running the series anymore Mat, maybe you can share how much you guys paid for the ability to program MX-5 ECU's this year? Might open up some additional discussion on SM from a policing vs. pricing standpoint.....

PS - Kent, the unwillingness had nothing to do with SCCA.

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mazda made this happen, not SCCA. Todd, I didn't want to get into specifics as that is not the point here. But to clarify your comment, after the third race of this year we learned of this ability that a "few teams" had to program the "locked" ECU's once they were handed out and swapped after practice. My team had a meeting to discuss what direction we wanted to go and we decided to purchase the technology and then present it to Mazda at the next race weekend. The technology arrived at the track on Friday at Road America and we presented it to Mazda and showed them the ability to reprogram the "locked" ECU's that SCCA was handing out. The amount we payed for it isn't really the issue.

All I wanted was an even playing field in this series, so rather than conform with those using it and keep it to ourselves, we chose to police the series and take it to Mazda. The ability to reprogram was worth 4-5hp according to the technology source. According to him their were several teams already using it. Unfortunately, I left the series after Rd. America, but I am glad our investment enlightened Mazda to work with SCCA and close this loophole.

This is why this is such a great series. Mazda has the ability to respond in a quick and efficient fashion when competitors bring a documented cheat to the table and asks for input.
Kudos to Tim and the rest of the Mazda gang for responding so quickly.

When I say a few teams.... I'm not naming anyone in particular as all of them are my friends. I know who was using it, but that isn't the point here. Not trying to imply any teams, big or small, as every team in that series is capable of winning regardless. With an even playing field, the cream will continue to rise.....

Future Never Has Been

Bravo, Mazda!

--------------------

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kudos to Pombo Racing!

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms:
Kudos to Pombo Racing!

[thumbsup]

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Actually Mazda was aware of this early in the season when they handed out tuned ECU's to all the teams to test before coming up with a solution.

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3

Todd, you are correct that they handed out reprogrammed ECU's to a select few teams to test before the season. At that point they decided not to go that route because they felt that the switching of "locked" ECU's that SCCA was currently doing was as good as that.

What they were not aware of is the technology to remap their "locked" ECU's that was occurring after they were handed out. This is what has recently come to light when it was shown to them.

Hope that helps...

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John Doonan needs to be thanked, progressive thinking at the right time!

They all worked and without a doubt everyone has the same ECU.

Mission accomplished.

As I said before, nothing spec about SM until the same thing happens.

I suspect you will see more for the series, more spec and less cost too......

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Oh the irony! [Big Grin]

--------------------

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Things happen after forty, just too me longer to get there..... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

jmac36

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jmac36     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In fact there are several people that need to be thanked by those folks who race in this series; John Doonan, Steve Sanders, and Tim Buck from Mazda, for not hiding their heads in the sand, and taking quik action to solve a big issue. Jim Jess and the great crew at SCCA pro Tech for being so eager to embrace the technology that could solve the issues they had. And a special thank you should go to JD for sticking his own neck out to get this mess brought to light so it could be made fair for all the racers.

Glad we could help!

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[group hug]

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

DDG Verified Driver Series Champ
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DDG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mat

Because I'm tired of the phonecalls, will you be re-programing at the Runoffs?

My only intrest is did you buy the Italian or Cech mapping program?

David

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by DDG:
Mat

David

DDG... everyone will have a remapped ECU for the runoffs. They are cheap and undetectable by the SCCA's current testing methods.

--------------------

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
quote:
Mat

David

DDG... everyone will have a remapped ECU for the runoffs. They are cheap and undetectable by the SCCA's current testing methods.
We'll see... P7 may win if that is the thought process heading into the race [Razz]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do I need to switch back to a stock FP regulator too?

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
Do I need to switch back to a stock FP regulator too?

Didnt realize you had your 99 built yet? [Wink] You should have never switched? If you did, yes, you better put back stock unmodified one that is within FSM specs. They checked the top six for that last year.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am going for P7 [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David, take that hat back off. [shame]

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If anyone knows how to reprogram my 21 deg hybrid to go straight, please let me know.

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Mat

David

If you are going to attempt to impersonate a yankee, you should at least spell as good as a yankee? [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

DDG Verified Driver Series Champ
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DDG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spelling in a town of under 900 isn't important. All you need is to be able to be into a cows rear end up to your sholder, not care and find the calf.

Now Matt will you please answer my question so Jim can sleep.

David

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

David;
Some work with the great Italian cartographer, Sebastian Cabot ...
some with Japanese cartographer, Kami Yamamoto ...
never heard of no Chech making any good "maps" though ...
tell Jim to go hibernate for a month, he needs his rest ...
[Wink]

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cheech? Czech? huh?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cheech?
he smoked all his old maps, now looking for 'David' Chong to hook him up with the good new stuff
[flamed]

To answer: we've given all our knowledge to Mazda and SCCA, as well as offered to help in any way we can to close this issue.

Sorry it took me a bit to respond as I am currently in Italy working on things. Head to Czechoslovakia monday to continue my crusade.....

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mat, it's the Czech Republic now. [Wink] I was in Prague last year and didn't seen any Spec Miata or Mx-5 cup cars? Lol

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: