Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Pro Miata » Lookint to join in 2011...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Lookint to join in 2011...
Simon Tibbett

Region: ATL
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Simon Tibbett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm looking to join you all in 2011 and have a few questions.

I am 99.8% sure I want to buy a car to run or rent one, anyone for some reason think otherwise? [Razz]

What are the benefits with the series and what are some downsides? I love how it's ran on major race weekends which is a plus for the potential sponsors I am speaking to.

What does a usual weekend rental cost, is it cheaper to sign/pay for a whole year?

Does anyone have a car I could rent for a track day to get a feel for the car sometime early winter? I have lots of Miata experience but not any MX-5 Cup car experience.

Simon Tibbett

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Simon Tibbett     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Should say Looking...not lookint. lol

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome Simon

do not let the BS on these forums discourage you. These forums are the venting of the few. The vast amjority of SM drivers are EXSTATIC about their class, but you would not realize that from the whining that goes on in this forum.

I started two years ago like you. I rented a car from Tom Fowler at OPM Autosports in Atlanta. I was immediately hooked. I rented a few more times, and I realized that I was completely committed to the class, and had Tom build me a car. (he has built two for me to date).

Try the class out for size. In my opinion it is by far the BEST class in SCCA, has teh closest racing of any class, and IMO, if you can win in SM you will do well anywhere in any car. It is such a great driver training ground.

You just have to look at the LONG list of pro-drivers in Grand-AM, Koni etc. that got their start in SM.

So welcome on board, call Tom at OPM and I look forward to saying hi at a race somtime soon. Be warned - this thing is TOTALLY ADDICTIVE and will become ALL CONSUMING.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Simon Tibbett

Does OPM do MX-5 Cup? I'm very aware of their success in regular SM though.

Do you run at Road Atlanta often? If so, I'm there every event so I'll stop by!

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FYI, there's a cup car for sale in the classifieds here, up top. ^^^
J~

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simon - OPM does not run pro races other than the PRO-IT at SCCA club events.

And yes, Road Atlanta is pretty much my home track, since that is where OPM is based, and Stop on by anytime.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Your Facebook says your a corner worker at RA?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=770645227

http://simontibbett.weebly.com/about-me.html

J~

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simon,

I'm at Rd Atlanta most events also. I ran the series for the first 1/3 of this season. I can help you with costs of each option. Send me a pm and we'll catch up.

Simon Tibbett

I corner work sometimes up there for the track, not volunteer work. We get paid to stand in the heat! haha No but I started doing that in 07 just to stay around the track, I started racing when I was 7 in karts and have been in debt since.

jimmy23

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jimmy23   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simon:

I have my car listed for sale in the classifieds. This car ran the first three races with PFM/Pombo Racing and is set up and preped by Chris Degioanni. The sister car driven by Matt Pombo had 2 poles and 1 win in the first 3 races.

PFM Engineering can offer set up and maintenance help. You can contact me at jimmy (at) pfmengineering.com.

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jimmy's car is a first class build. It's definitely worth looking at.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Simon,

Welcome to the party, since you won't be starting until 2011 and are in the Atlanta area come flag the ARRC with us. It's a little bit different then working for track and the training you will receive will do wonders when you do the double @ Roebling. Oh yeah, you'll see some fantastic racing too.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: