Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » Newbie here... Intro and Questions.

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Newbie here... Intro and Questions.
Shane Smith

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shane Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well I guess I should introduce myself first. My name is Shane Smith. I am from Long Island. My racing expierince is limited to Go Karts throughout the region from 1985-1993.

I attended a HPDE event a few weeks ago at the Monticello Motor club. I rented a Miata in order to get an idea of how well Spec Miata would suit me. I prefer highly competitive, close clean racing, that is focused on drivers skill. Go karts were a blast. We were all friends off the track and respected each other on the track. So as of now I am pursuing entering the Spec Miata world.

My next step is to attend a regional race to check things out and see how the event is run and how the competition treat each other. It looks like I will either be attending either NHMS on Sept 11-12th or Limerock on Oct 1-2nd.

By then I will have started the process of attaining the novice permit and scheduling the school, physical, and etc. But my 2nd step will most likely be to find a shop to help me along with car purchase and setup. Flatout motor sports was recommended. I contacted them and they sounded great. I plan on tracking them down at the race I attend.

I have a lot more thoughts but in the efforts to keep this to an intro and get general feedback I will keep it short. Any hellos, ideas, thoughts, advice, dirty jokes, unwelcome signs, anything will be appreciated. I look forward to get racing again.

Shane Smith

--------------------
Team Dumb and Dumber
Researching Spec Miata racing. Want to get into it. Need to find a car and a shop to get me set up.

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't have much advice to offer you other than 'hello' since I just got my rookie permit last weekend and have only run two races so far. But I can tell it was a blast and I'm looking forward to the next one!

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

edzeb

Region: Glen
Car #: #72
Year : 1990/1991/1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for edzeb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shane,

If you have your car, gear and Novice Permit in time, the Glen Region's Last Chance Driver's School is in October at WGI. Check out http://www.nescca.com and there you can find the divisional schedule.

--Ed...

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome!
PM sent.

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just an FYI, not sure how old you are but the Glen won't let you on track unless you are at least 18.

--------------------
Jerry

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My math says he is at least 25 if he could reach the pedals right out of the womb [laughing]

--------------------
Ken

Dennis Valet

Region: NYR/North East Division
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Valet     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shane,

I have rented from the Flatout Motorsports guys on a number of occasions, I can say nothing but good things about them. Andy and Nick are serious racers, seriously quick drivers, have an immense knowledge of Spec Miatas and racing in general, and their passion translates directly into their business.

They are very professional and the cars they maintain are very very nice. If you go to the Lime Rock race, you should see their full set up as just about every customer they have seems to show up for that race! If you don't have a car by the time you want to do a Driver's school, I highly recommend renting from them. Driver's schools are hectic as you really only have 20 minutes per hour outside of the classroom/car, with the flatout guys you literally don't worry about a thing all day except driving the car.

P.s. I'm also from Long Island, hope to see you out on the track soon.

--Dennis

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome. Feel free to stop by the LTD Racing compound at NHMS in September to poke around the cars and ask questions. We drive the cars with the blue plates (Blue Plate Specials) that will all be parked together outside of the garage area.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Shane Smith

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shane Smith     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys. Great info and help. I really appreciate it. Sounds like the type of guys I am used to racing with. Looks like I have a lot of work to do. I will be at LRP on 10/2. Hope it's a good showing. I will nose around try and to meet everyone.

--------------------
Team Dumb and Dumber
Researching Spec Miata racing. Want to get into it. Need to find a car and a shop to get me set up.

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Welcome Shane,
There's a Pro IT at NJMP the 14th and 15th and a Regional there the following weekend. That might be closer for you. I'll be at the Pro IT for tire support and I'll have another team there the following weekend.
I'll be driving in the Duryea Hill Climb the 21st and 22nd.
Joe
TreadZone

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shane,

I'm in the same situation as you. I have driven the spec miata a few times with SCDA. I'm thinking about racing for the 2011 season. I'm also on Long Island. Stay in touch.

George

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Plan you school schedule early so you can get out there racing next season. Summit Point in March followed by NJMP that same month. The NHMS school is in early May followed by LRP in June.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

George B

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George B     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was thinking about doing the Skip Barber 3 day in February at PBIR in Florida. Any thoughts?

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did a skip barber school to get my license. I had done one in college as well.

I found that the coaching at Skip was great. Really top notch guys. I learned a lot about driving a race car. It was also nice because all you do is show up and you are provided with everything you need.

When I took a SCCA school after I had my license I realized that the SCCA schools teach a lot more about racing...even though some it seems like a baptism by fire.

Looking back on it, I would do the Skip school again when just starting out/only a few HPDE's. When they ask you "why are you taking this class" the answer "I'm buying a spec miata and I want to get my license and be competitive" gets a good response from the instructors.

I've even considered doing a two day school with the mx-5 cars, but may spend the money on private coaching in my car instead.

Hope this helps.

-Vick

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Vick, how much money you got???? [Razz]

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:

Probably depends on what you're offering . [blush] [Eek!] [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Plan you school schedule early so you can get out there racing next season. Summit Point in March followed by NJMP that same month. The NHMS school is in early May followed by LRP in June.

Hey CP, where can I get more info on NJMP school in March? My build will be ready for spring time and I want to start putting my schedule together.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Not enough to buy a modur like urs. [Smile]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

CP Verified Driver

Once you join the SCCA, you'll get a member number that will allow you to access the Northeast registration website which gets populated mid-winter with early season event dates: http://www.nescca.com/registration/

--------------------
-Cy

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
quote:

Not enough to buy a modur like urs. [Smile]
Mmmmm. Modur

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yep,, it's all in the modur. I'll tell you where you can get one.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Terry Hanushek

Region: South Jersey
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Hanushek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jay

quote:
where can I get more info on NJMP school in March? My build will be ready for spring time and I want to start putting my schedule together.
The March Lion Drivers School at NJMP is scheduled for 26-27 March 2011. Registration will open on DLB at the end of February. Specific questions can be addressed to the organizers at jrb@njrrs.com

Terry

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you Terry. I will get in touch with them. End of march, looks like I need to get the ball rolling and really get working to get the car done.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: