Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Florida Region Tire Preference (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: Florida Region Tire Preference
Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

To help Jamie compile a list of FL drivers who are for
1. Open Tire
2. Spec Tire
please add your name to this list and indicate your preference (FL region and CFR region drivers only)

thanks

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny Steyn - Spec Tire

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Danny!
Jamie Tucker-Spec Tire

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Chris Fulton

Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Chris Fulton - Spec Tire

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joe Benoit - Spec Tire

--------------------
What does this button do??

Dennis Bize Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 47
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Bize     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dennis Bize (obviously, my name is right freakin there)- spec tire

--------------------
BSI RACING

CAVINYC.COM

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark McCallister - Spec Tire

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Griff Williams - Spec Tire

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jeff Labounty - Spec Tire

David Greenburg - Spec Tire

Andrew C - Spec Tire

Mark Pelak - Spec Tire

[ 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Tucker ]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow strange. I was just told that ALL Florida drivers wanted an open tire. I thought it strange that there was such a difference down there.

Sounds to me like representative govt isn't working so well down there.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

ARRC 2010 Champ

We are working on it!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec Tire for Me

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In fairness, there are a heck of a lot of Florida drivers, but I think this is a probably a pretty accurate sampling?
Non Florida driver who usually races twice a year there... Spec tire does fine for me as well. It is always equally as good or bad for all.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Matthew Van Vurst

Region: florida region
Car #: 08
SMIM: sm
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matthew Van Vurst   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

spec tire [Smash]

--------------------
Do you smell something delicious cooking in the oven? SHAKE AND BAKE!

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cant' wait till you guys start counting the hanging chad [Big Grin] [duck] [rolling on floor laughin] [duck]

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who's Chad?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

guest driver

Region: 011
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

some observations and comments on a difficult and complicated issue ...
we are specifically talking about REGIONAL races only here, the National racers have already been sold out until 2012. ( There already exists a spec tire deal that is a binding legal requirement to race 'whatever' tire Tokyo decides to create and sell until the 2012 season ).

am i the only fool that disagrees with being obligated to work for a 'pimp', for FREE, and then ... having to pay the 'pimp' whatever cost is forced upon me ? "Cost" = not just the price of the tire but also the cost of the high wear of the tire, with no payback, contingency or service to boot.
i repeat, we are talking only REGIONAL racing here, as in, choosing to race at the lowest cost possible. (you choo$e to race Regional vs National). National racing is a whole nother $tory which is already written, bound and sold.

you think car counts are slipping now, wait until next year when the economy is even worse and gas prices are back up to $4 per gallon. At the end of the day, being able to afford to race is the only relevant issue, having the ability and freedom to choose whatever tire you can afford should be the most important consideration.

to that end the above "poll" does not addresss the real issues at hand for REGIONAL racers. If "spec tire" for REGIONAL races means being forced and bound by the same chains the National boys have wrapped around their necks = race whatever tire Tokyo decides to create and sell for 2009, 2010 & 2011, then i am against it.

If "Open tire" for REGIONALs is not acceptable for all those who have already bought in and are objecting to the possibility of someone spending more money on faster tires, then LIMIT THE TIRE CHOICE to the existing National tire(s) and ONE OR TWO CHEAPER, SLOWER, LONGER LASTING TIRE BRANDS (a la NITTO) ... so at least you have done something po$itive for the Regional racer.

or three ; try something new for 2010 as a one year trial and allow the 'SMT' REGIONAL class as presented on the other threads.

one last comment, to my friend from Memphis ... having been hitting this drug (racing) off and on since 1976 and racing on DOT's since 1992, i can say there is no such thing as " a spec tire is always equally as good or bad for all ". Shave depth, heat cycle and setup (based on tire te$ting and racing) always favor those willing and able to spend $$$ (easily 1/2 sec + per lap).
Worse, he gets a better deal from the 'pimp' than i get. Just cause hees prettier and 'good' at what hee do, the 'man' pays him back in real $$$. They don't give me jack ...
[Wink]
good racing to all,
Carlos G.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Once again Carlos you present a well reasoned argument. Stop it.

As an Ohio carpetbagger who makes only 2-3 appearances per year in the SEDiv I know my vote does not and should not count. I will show up with whatever the required tire is (if I can afford to).

However, from my 'Mom and Pop race team' perspective, tires are being given way too much importance relative to other much wider gaps between the haves and have-nots in the SEDiv. I mean some of y'all take this sport REAL serious, to the point that it's almost not fun to try and compete. I see some efforts that would make a Cup team proud. Nothing wrong with that, except for people like me still stuck in the "race for under $10,000" mode are hopelessly left behind. My feeling is that is part of the reason people leave this class.

Also, no one has ever satisfactorily explained to me why regional events should not be eligible for contingencies if we are required to buy a particular tire.

If I lived in Florida I'd vote open.

-Denny

Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Carlos G.

With all due respect this post is for a vote on spec or open tires just pick one position or the other. I think the people are trying to get an idea of what the racers want without dividing the class. Adding SMT is still dividing the class and I really think no matter what side of the tire debate you are on thats bad for everybody.

Respectfully,
George Munson

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

respectfully taken George Munson.
i recognise and accept your point about not dividing the class.
But, it's not not that simple. Kicking the can down the road by 'packaging' it strictly and exclusively "spec vs open" is not in our collective best interests for Regional racing in 2010 and beyond. That was my main point ... and worrying about my/our wallets.
Carlos Gutierrez

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
some observations and comments on a difficult and complicated issue ...
we are specifically talking about REGIONAL races only here, the National racers have already been sold out until 2012. ( There already exists a spec tire deal that is a binding legal requirement to race 'whatever' tire Tokyo decides to create and sell until the 2012 season ).

am i the only fool that disagrees with being obligated to work for a 'pimp', for FREE, and then ... having to pay the 'pimp' whatever cost is forced upon me ? "Cost" = not just the price of the tire but also the cost of the high wear of the tire, with no payback, contingency or service to boot.
i repeat, we are talking only REGIONAL racing here, as in, choosing to race at the lowest cost possible. (you choo$e to race Regional vs National). National racing is a whole nother $tory which is already written, bound and sold.

you think car counts are slipping now, wait until next year when the economy is even worse and gas prices are back up to $4 per gallon. At the end of the day, being able to afford to race is the only relevant issue, having the ability and freedom to choose whatever tire you can afford should be the most important consideration.

to that end the above "poll" does not address the real issues at hand for REGIONAL racers. If "spec tire" for REGIONAL races means being forced and bound by the same chains the National boys have wrapped around their necks = race whatever tire Tokyo decides to create and sell for 2009, 2010 & 2011, then i am against it.

If "Open tire" for Regionals is not acceptable for all those who have already bought in and are objecting to the possibility of someone spending more money on faster tires, then LIMIT THE TIRE CHOICE to the existing National tire(s) and ONE OR TWO CHEAPER, SLOWER, LONGER LASTING TIRE BRANDS (a la NITTO) ... so at least you have done something po$itive for the Regional racer.

or three ; try something new for 2010 as a one year trial and allow the 'SMT' REGIONAL class as presented on the other threads.

one last comment, to my friend from Memphis ... having been hitting this drug (racing) off and on since 1976 and racing on DOT's since 1992, i can say there is no such thing as " a spec tire is always equally as good or bad for all ". Shave depth, heat cycle and setup (based on tire te$ting and racing) always favor those willing and able to spend $$$ (easily 1/2 sec + per lap).
Worse, he gets a better deal from the 'pimp' than i get. Just cause hees prettier and 'good' at what hee do, the 'man' pays him back in real $$$. They don't give me jack ...
[Wink]
good racing to all,
Carlos G.

All well said, all true...

I think spec fits the regional National racer dabbling in regionals or the regional racer dabbling in Nationals best. But for the regional only racer ( there are a lot in Florida, your argument has merit.
Oh yeah, so does the part about spec tires not being equally good or bad.. Spec tires among the guys I usually race with are pretty equal, but from the front to mid or back of the pack they can be very different...

Quick true story, I let a good friend put a cycle on my Ra1's during practice before last years ARRC. he is a very good driver and just off the pace a little and I knew he wouldn't flat spot. He thought I did some magic to them, so much so he pulled me to the side and asked, he was 1.5 seconds alap faster on my tires than his... the trick.. he was putting session 2 on 1/32 tires I saved for the ARRC vs tires he started at 4/32 and wore to 2/32. Guys don't buys tires for fun, I hate spending the money, but it certainly matters!

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

ROBERT NETTLES-72

Region: cfr
Car #: 72
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ROBERT NETTLES-72   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Robert Nettles-Although it was nice being able to finaly run those hoosiers I had lying around at the spec challenge, I would still vote for spec tires

--------------------
www.racecoveralls.com

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec Tire!

These tire games are getting old in the CFR, they tried pulling this trick with the SARRC series a while back when they did not agree with the tire rules. The Daytona ECR/Nat was a cluster F, I left the drivers meeting saying: "so, what's going on?" and I know several other drivers did too. I don't think splitting classes and abandoning the ECR series is a logical solution to this problem. Just stick with the set of rules that are in the GCR and make it easy on all the racers that pay good money to race in the CFR.

I don't understand why there is such a push for open tires except for the dislike of the R888's, and they are supposedly gone for 2010 right? I might be out of touch with what is going on throughout the rest of the country with spec vs open tire rules, but do any other regions have these problems? Regional racing is getting too confusing down here.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

guest driver

this post intentionally deleted by mr von c

[ 07-17-2009, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: guest driver ]

guest driver

this post intentionally deleted by mr von c

guest driver

spec tire !

i guess magilla will decide for all of us
[banghead]

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Just stick with the set of rules that are in the GCR and make it easy on all the racers that pay good money to race in the CFR.
John if we did what you are saying then 9.1.8.C.6.c.2. would require open tires for all of our regional races unless the region spec'd a tire in the supps. [Smile]

--------------------
Paul McLester

ARRC 2010 Champ

This is not a poll! It is a list of names that will be put in a letter to the powers that be requesting that CFR runs spec tires. The pros and cons have been discussed over and over. If a driver wants an open tire rule I hope they say so but as of yet I have not found one driver who wants it. Within the next few days we will have a list compiled that will show more than 95% of Florida SM drivers want to run a spec tire. Please keep the names coming!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT NETTLES-72:
Robert Nettles-Although it was nice being able to finaly run those hoosiers I had lying around at the spec challenge, I would still vote for spec tires

Don't worry! This did not start because you beat me last weekend. [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

www.5xracing.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
quote:
Just stick with the set of rules that are in the GCR and make it easy on all the racers that pay good money to race in the CFR.
John if we did what you are saying then 9.1.8.C.6.c.2. would require open tires for all of our regional races unless the region spec'd a tire in the supps. [Smile]
c. Tires:

1. 1. National Competition All cars shall use the Toyo R888 (205/50R15)
2. 2. Regional Competition Any DOT approved tire is permitted. Racing, recapped, or regrooved tires are not allowed. Tire size is unrestricted. The only modifications allowed to tires are having treads “shaved” or “trued.” Individual regions may require spec tires for regional races. Supplemental regulations for specific events should be checked.

Paul,

You're right, but that's not really what I was saying or meant to say, but the rules do stipulate that and that is the whole problem with this situation. That rule is there, and the CFR could very well exploit that rule if they wanted to. I surrender already because I am going to race wherever I can cause I want to race no matter what the tire is, and the last thing I am going to do is try and argue a point that makes sense to me but not to others in different situations. They're going to do what they want, we might as well just go along with it because we all have the disease that is racing and will race no matter what. I just don't get the point of not using a spec tire across the board.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

ARRC 2010 Champ

Alex Santos-Spec Tire

Gary Frierson (sorry if that is misspelled) Spec Tire

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Alex Santos-Spec Tire

Jam ;
another one ... didn't realize the Cape Coral/Fort Myers Mafia had so many soldiers [Big Grin]
damn, your good with that pitchfork [Wink]
still waiting to 'here' from ma bess buddie ...
P.S. ya butchered my friend Mark Pelak's last name on your earlier post [Razz]

ARRC 2010 Champ

Come on now! So I added an extra e to his last name. Thats what Mark gets for not doing this himself!! My typing skills are not as good as Von C but they are close. [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

guest driver

von C's "skills" are unmatched ...
mere mortals cannot compare to the Lord of SM, (Super Marauders) ...
with wit and genuis that has no peer - whats that, we all must race on Huffy bicycle slicks ? ...
you ain't been racin until you gone toe to toe against von C .... in the rain ... now that's a show !!
where art thou von C ?
[Smile]

ARRC 2010 Champ

Lucie Wirgin - Spec Tire

Eric Wirgin - Spec Tire

Denny Harrell -Spec Tire

Glen "Rockstar" Ward -Spec Tire

Cliff "chains" Blanchard-Spec Tire

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

Mike Blanchard - Spec Tire

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

www.5xracing.com

Rick Adamczyk - Spec Tire

--------------------
John Adamczyk

NASA FL Race Director

Spoke to Eric Mashburn this weekend, Spec Tire for him as well.

Thanks

ARRC 2010 Champ

Just to let everybody know were we stand. As soon as I hear back from a few drivers in the Sebring area and get in touch with BSI I think we will have a complete list. The list will include almost all of the CFR/Florida drivers that have run more than one race this year. It is becoming clear the overwhelming majority want a Spec Tire. I am working on a letter now spelling out our desire for our class and will post it here for everyone to see when it is completed.
Thanks,
Jamie

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Jamie
Not pertinent to this post regarding Florida Drivers, but there was not one driver at the RA Dbl SARRC this weekend that I spoke to that wanted open tires.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Thanks Danny!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Jim Blaisdell

Car #: 65
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Blaisdell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec Tire!!!

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
NASA FL Spec Miata Series Director
5XRacing Team Driver

ARRC 2010 Champ

Please take a look at this letter. If I don't hear from you I will assume it is ok. I still have another 10 drivers or so to add but you will get the point.

RE: Spec Tires for Spec Miatas

We, the undersigned, ask that the Central Florida Region reconsider the decision to have an open tire rule for regional and ECR races.

We feel that given the fact we are a spec class it is imperative that all Spec Miatas be required to race on a spec tire. We have come to this conclusion after discussing the various topics that are important to us. The first is a fair and level playing field, where everybody has a chance to win. As I am sure you know different brands of tires result in different lap times. For example, a new Hoosier is about 1.5 seconds faster than a Toyo RA1 around Sebring; which is about the same as running a 1.8L without a restrictor plate. Secondly, an open tire rule will end up costing all of the competitors more money because they will be forced to buy a different tire, such as Hoosiers, for regional races and Toyos for the SARRC and National races. Lastly, we have many CFR/Florida competitors that enjoy running for the ECR championship, as well as, others that join us from other regions that may not race if they are not allowed to run for ECR points.

In addition, we the CFR/Florida SM drivers do not want a trial year of SMT to try this out. We want a spec tire to be in place for 2010, and moving to a two class run group would be a counterproductive move, diluting the fields during an economic downturn.

Moreover, if CFR region decides against the majority of SM drivers and insist on forming SMT for the 2010 season, SMT drivers must NOT be permitted to run with SM. We do not want an SMT driver on special tires taking line honors in our class! This would decimate fields very quickly.

The CFR/Florida drivers have discussed this topic thoroughly and have overwhelmingly decided that running the National Spec tire is in the best interest of our class. We are not sure why the Central Florida Region decided to go down this path but as you can see the Central Florida and Florida region drivers listed below make up over 90% of the average CFR/Florida Spec Miata field.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

Sincerely,

Danny Styen Lucie Wirgin Eric Wirgin Jamie Tucker
Glen Ward Denny Harrell Jeff Labounty Cliff Blanchard
Mike Blanchard Mark Pelack Matthew Van Vurst Gary Frierson
Jim Blaisdell George Munson Rick Adamczyk Alex Santos
John Adamczyk Robert Nettles David Greenburg Andrew C Mark Pelak Griff William Mark McCallister
Dennis Bize Joe Benoit Chris Fulton Chris Sweeny
Steve Kirouac Scott Kirouac Clifford Rhoades John Barben
Charlie Lowarance Alex Bolanos

[ 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Tucker ]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

The formating of the names did not come out right on here but they are in Word.
Thanks,
Jamie

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

guest driver

Jamie ;
respectfully request you please remove my name from your above letter.
As you know, i am not in favor of an unknown spec tire for Regional racing in 2010. I am in favor of allowing less expensive longer lasting tires to race regionals in CFR and Fl Reg races next year.
Thank you,
Carlos Gutierrez

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John A - 5x Racing:
Spec Tire!

..., but do any other regions have these problems? Regional racing is getting too confusing down here.

John,

As an outside perspective...

While SOWDIV and it's regions certainly aren't perfect, one of the things it does well is that in regional sups for SM, it almost always states that "SM shall run the tire as required by the national ruleset" or something to that effect. Maybe once or twice they forget to put it in and a joker or two ran another tire. But no one went out and bought another different brand for an advantage.

Of course, SOWDIV regionals are not big time deals like some other areas of the country. Mostly the folks run them for fun. The good thing about that is having the same tire for regional and national is less tire testing and common equipment for the drivers.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA