Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » What to do in Daytona when not racing?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: What to do in Daytona when not racing?
jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm extending my stay after the Daytona Double SARRC so the Family can have a short vacation. Aside from the beach, what other family things are around the area? Any Aquariums? Good restaurants? The wife said drinking at the bar with a 2 year old is just trashy, so that's out [Big Grin]

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For a great steak try Gene's Steakhouse - legendary in Daytona, not far from the speedway, and some interesting historical photography on the walls. My wife says anytime we go to Daytona it has to include a dinner at Gene's.

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

R. Spence Verified Driver

Region: 03, Atlanta
Car #: 59
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for R. Spence   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My first thought was Lollipops,but on second thought you may not want the wife and kids along.

--------------------
Robert Spence

Midtown Tire Inc, Goodyear Gemini Auto Care
OPM Autosports,Race Engineering, Autotech Supply, Halco,BG Products

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Griff - Thanks, I'll check out Gene's. Always looking for a good steak place.

Robert - The only Lollipops I get to see these days involve sticks with Candy not poles with Candie. Thanks though [Wink]

--------------------

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Suppose hitting on hawt womenz is out of the question?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

I'm currently worth more to the wife dead than alive so I'm not going to push my luck. I'm not looking for trouble (it finds me), just coming to Daytona to mind my business with the mid-pack SM's and keep the SM car counts up.

--------------------

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Take a short drive to Ormond Beach and try Billy's Tap Room. http://www.billys-tap.com/

The Cellar Restaurant is great Italian fine dining. I usually go to the Winghouse or Daytona Ale House.

I will see you guys this weekend (not racing...driving the blue BMW pace car for Race 1 and 2).

--------------------
Paul McLester

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spent a week there in May combining racing and vacation. If you're into history the Bulow Sugar Mill ruins are worth a trip, maybe 40 minutes north of Daytona, very scenic drive. We also spent a day in St. Augustine, lots of neat old stuff to see. Eat at Columbia restaurant - YUM. In Daytona we ate at Racings North Turn restaurant, doesn't look like much, I thought it might be more bar than restaurant but they had the best scallops ever. We like the Inlet Harbor restaurant in Ponce Inlet too. You can see the lighthouse while you're down that way. We stayed right across the street from Biggun's Gentlemens Club but I couldn't get Deb drunk enough to go.

Paul,

That looks like good seafood. I'll add that to my list. Thanks.

Go Gators,

Joe

--------------------

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hm, trying to remember back when I had a 2 year-old...don't remember getting much past the hotel pool, beach, eating sand, throwing shells, etc... :-) Running up and down the infield bleachers is pretty fun?!

Blue Spring State Park over in DeLand is worth a visit if you haven't been there. There are some tourist-trap mini-amusement parks and such around too.. http://www.daytonabeach.com

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hmmm... I was going to recommend going to Hooters and drinking all day, but guessing you wife will find that trashy too?

I did go to a small car museum there that is owned by Mark Martin. It was worth the $5 entry, but not much more. The NASCAR Daytona experience would also be pretty fun with kids. They have a Daytona simulator and some side by side video games.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hooters....the family restaurant! They have balloons for the dads and even have balloons for the kids!

--------------------
Paul McLester

While my wife is cool with Hooters wings she's not a huge fan of the balloons. Which I find ironic. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.
Mark you seem to have a good idea of the fun 2 year olds present on vacations. I view a pool as the great energy sponge for kids! It's the only thing I've found to slow down my kid.

Joe

--------------------

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are going to Ponce Inlet, I just spent a half day with my dad on a boat that heads out right next to the restaurant listed above. We fished for about 3 hours (which was enough for him) and we caught about 40 lbs of snapper. There were a few kids that really enjoyed the trip. BTW, the water was calm with only the swells - no chop. Bring a cooler or they have beer, soda and water on the boat. for $40 we had a great time. Sea Spirit was the boat we were on.

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Back to my original suggestions!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Joe the new avatar was inspired by your words!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My wife doesn't particularly like Hooters, but my dad insists on going there every year for his birthday. So my 40 year old wife who still looks 30 decides she's going to compete with the 20 year old Hooters waitresses. Think Pamela Anderson style clothing.

You shouldn't put that thought in our minds...or at least not without posting photos! [Big Grin] [shame]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Paul,

That is a great avatar! I'd change mine too but I'm afraid that Alan would get his feelings hurt if I don't show the corner of his trailer anymore.

Pamela Anderson has a style? Thought it was just buying clothes 3 sizes too small to enhance the Busting out Feature? [Smile]

Joe

--------------------

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

warning ; hijack coming ...

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

sorry, but that gator avatar image is only so-so ...
click below for a REAL mascot :

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00006109/ibis.jpg

and guys, don't even think about posting an image from that former all girls school in Tallahasse ...
[duck]
heck , their present head coach used to coach the the girls back then ...
[Smile]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That does it. I sick of the SEC stinking up the show. The Big Ten will rise again - GO BUCKEYES!

Miami, FSU, Ohio State.....all definitions of the term "GATOR BAIT"!!!!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Gators are delicious, I like 'em fried.

DerekFSU Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DerekFSU     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:

and guys, don't even think about posting an image from that former all girls school in Tallahasse ...
[duck]
[Smile]

I've yet to meet a Canes fan who actually went to school there, might you be the exception?

Paul, our girl's soccer team is one of the best in the country buddy! I'll stick to the girls in shorts while you watch a bunch of fat guys in tight white pants (that's my story until we have a football team again someday).

Joe, the Chart House on the water is a great place to eat.

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So not to highjack a highjack [Smile] but what's everybody thinking about the weather tomorrow for the test day? Weather.com says 50%, with storms starting by noon. It's rained here in Gainesville all afternoon today... Hmmm...

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by DerekFSU:
quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:

[duck]
[Smile]

I've yet to meet a Canes fan who actually went to school there, might you be the exception?

Paul, our girl's soccer team is one of the best in the country buddy! I'll stick to the girls in shorts while you watch a bunch of fat guys in tight white pants (that's my story until we have a football team again someday).

Joe, the Chart House on the water is a great place to eat.

Class of '79 ...
also played baseball 4 years , on a full ticket, only way could afford that tuition ... bleed green and orange here (green and gold back in my day)... it's a 'Cane thang', all about the U. [yep]

P.S. beat them Seminoles (in baseball) three out of four years ... so there [Smile]
P.P.S. do agree with you on the rather watch the girls in shorts ... ay ya yai !!!
edit to include :
actually you fellas aren't a problem anymore ... ya'll suffering just like us ... it's them Goaters who are THE problem ... smelly 'Swamp' critters [Big Grin]

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:

I notice LSU is absent from your list of bait.

GO Tigers.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Back in the day Colorado use to be great, but that was probably before your all's time! Go Buffs:thumbsup:

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hi Joe,
There always the go cart track and arcade! PS Don't mess with the governers though ! OPPS We got tossed last year!!! [rockband]

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

PumpkinRacing Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 05
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PumpkinRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PEATMOSS:
Hi Joe,
There always the go cart track and arcade! PS Don't mess with the governers though ! OPPS We got tossed last year!!! [rockband]

Have fun this weekend!

--------------------
Michael Hartberger
Engine - Race Engineering
Car - OPM Autosports
Funding - Pumpkin!!

Dennis Bize Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Bize     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
My wife doesn't particularly like Hooters, but my dad insists on going there every year for his birthday. So my 40 year old wife who still looks 30 decides she's going to compete with the 20 year old Hooters waitresses. Think Pamela Anderson style clothing.

winghouse>hooters

--------------------
BSI RACING

CAVINYC.COM

DerekFSU Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DerekFSU     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dennis is oh so correct.

Guestdriver, I've got tix for you if you ever want to catch the U up here for a series.

Derek...how about when my team plays there? As for LSU...we eat tiger meat for breakfast....and buffalo tastes like chicken. Speaking of chicken...what in the hell is an Ibis and how do you cook it?

Just left Daytona after four hours working registration...still raining but it is supposed to be clearing tomorrow. SM is the first group so we should miss the rain.

No bump drafting me in the pace car!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Everyone I spoke with at registration is pretty excited about this weekend. 59 drivers registered for SM with some of the best drivers in the country participating....just remember to have fun and be safe! [Smile]

Best dinner I had in Daytona was at the Chart House overlooking the Marina.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Chris Fulton

Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

New Symrna Beach, is a cool little town on the beach, Walk down Flagler Avenue eat at Clancy's (mexican) great day trip, then you could go to the Marine Science Center on the Ponce side of the inlet (My daughter loves it). They have all kinds of rescue birds (owls, eagles, pelicans, etc.) and sea turtles, fish tanks. I think it's $5. After you could go to boondocks (on river in Wilbur by the sea) or deck down under (under dunlawton bridge) seafood locals places).

Water park by the ocean walk is really cool for a little kid, they have a kid section which is about 1.5' deep with a ton of slides and other fun water features. Definately will wear your little one out.

guest driver

DerekFSU : thanks and likewise for your series down here at the Light ...
Paul ; an Ibis is the only thing left standing after the Hurricanes blow through [Wink] so tough it is unedible ...
btw , careful with the Chipster, he has been known to put donuts on the sides of pacecars ... if he gets too close on the back straight, just brake check the hell outta him [duck]
[rolling on floor laughin]
everyone have fun,
Carlos G.

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:

I notice LSU is absent from your list of bait.

GO Tigers.

Ain't it suppose ta b Geaux Tigers?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

John the Impaler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Finger Lakes
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John the Impaler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there still "cole slaw wrestling" in Deland, if it's not Bike Week ????

Yeah...my world view is somethat stilted.....

Thanks for all of the great and not so great suggestions. We'll be checking a few of these spots out. Already got tossed for messing the karts before.

Derek - I like to see you doing well in Grand AM but with the College Football thing, you guys have to do something about Bobby. He's really killing our strength of Schedule.

On to the Chart house!

Joe

--------------------

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know this is late but Phillys on the corner of nova road and US 1 has the greatest cheese steaks. Martins Steak House 1 mile south of the Flagler pier has great food and a beautiful view of the ocean upstairs or downstairs. Also the Garlic' is a good place to eat on route 44 near A1A. The space center 45 minutes south of Daytona is great for the kids. Go Buckeyes

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: