Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Daytona Double SARRC (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Daytona Double SARRC
Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The first SARRC race began with a split start with the FP, SSB, SSC cars in the front group and the SM field in the 2nd group. Turn One grabbed several mid-pack Miatas as they went into the corner 4 wide. The wreckage blocked the track enough to bring out a black flag. Due to the fact that we hadn't turned one full lap under green the race was restarted from pit road after some confusion and hour break for lunch.

The SM race had Cottrell, Charboneau, and Buras fighting it out all the way around the track. The lead changed several times with the final finishing order Cottrell, Buras, Charboneau, and Steyn. Cottrell had waived points.

Good clean racing and put on a show. [Smile] [rockband]

--------------------
Paul McLester

jbenoit28 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 28
SMIM: .
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I wish I had my video running as I had that wreck happen right in front of me. Pure luck I dodged to the outside and didn't take damage. I don't think Mark McCallister was so lucky [Frown] He told me he got hit in the front and back. Also saw a Yellow #55 towed in with lots of frontend damage. After the restart it was a great race and a clean one.

Thanks to everyone who introduced themselves. I'm finally putting names/avatars with faces.

Joe

--------------------
What does this button do??

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Car #: 40
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah, I was 4th into the T1 pile. Kicking myself for not missing it. [Frown] Sorry y'all. 5th into the pile caved in my trunk, but that's fixable. About 3/4 of a second better reaction time on my part would have saved some of the damage anyway.

OPM replaced a UCA, set the toe, and added a bunch of duct tape for improved aerodynamics...thank guys! ...I should be good to go tomorrow... [Smile] No piles!

Paul: Nice pace car. Especially the radar detector, nice touch. [Big Grin]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark

Fowler assured me your car would be ready to go tomorrow. Hated to see that happen on the first lap, but I was glad to see you guys weren't hurt. We had a driver with a broken leg from the morning qualifying session and another car that rolled three times.

Didn't even think about the radar detector....the best part was when my traction control system started trying to figure out the 33 deg banking!!! [Eek!]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joe
stop on by the OPM trailer tomorrow, come and meet Fowlers gang!!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not sure who it was who drop-kicked me in the left rear and caused the fiasco in turn 1, but you know who you are... WTF were you thinking anyway? I got the rear toe corrected and will try qualifying this morning, and the big repairs will come later. I feel bad for John Kish in the 16 car - his weekend ended after he T-boned me in the passenger side, but I think he was as helpless as I was at that point. Maybe cooler heads will prevail today...

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like it was a good time for me to go to Alaska!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Just got back from the track...

2nd SARRC had Todd Buras easily pulling away from the field until clutch/transmission problem which allowed Cottrell to take the lead followed closely by Nettles, Steyn, M. Van Vurst, Munson, Bolanos and Evans.

Cottrell locked em up at the last corner and Nettles edged him for the win by .039! Buras 8th, Joe Benoit 9th, and Cliff B. 10th.

Another great race with 47 Miata's....no black flag, no full course yellows!

--------------------
Paul McLester

On a sad note in GT2 Alan Burgess driver of the #1 Porsche 944 GTR caught fire in Nascar 4 and pulled into pit road completely engulfed in fire. He was extricated from the car and transported to Halifax Med Center where he was then Life Flighted to ORMC with severe burns. The flames were so intense his face shield melted, his seat was burned, and his glove was completely charred. He apparently tried to use his on-board fire suppression system...but there was a pin still in the end of the fire bottle so we don't know if he was able to discharge it or not.

We can talk about the lessons learned later...right now please take a minute and include him and his wife in your thoughts and prayers.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Chris Fulton

Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a rough weekend, car problems. Saturday, transmission problem, quit after four laps, Sunday engine problems on the warm up, but was still able to race in my fathers-in-laws tired ride, started dead last, finished close to it! Ha!. Had to take the seat out of my car, put it into the other car, all in time for qualifying for ITA. All this couldn't have been possible with out the help of George Munson (way to drive the wheels of your car!), Roy (George's Buddy), Woody (father-in-law), Stu @ BSI. Thanks Again Everybody!

I know there are a ton of people like this at the races every weekend, and that's what helps me keep coming back!!!

CFRRaceBoard

Region: Central Florida Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CFRRaceBoard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks out to Todd Buras and Andrew for the fun on the pace lap of Sunday's race. That was the first time I have been tag teamed. I told you I wanted to give you a better pace lap than the one on Saturday.

During the race, I was called by the tower asking what was going on and if I had any issues with it. I responded telling them that both drivers were friends just having fun and that I had absolutely no issues with it. (in other words, leave them alone). I ended with "Besides I talked both drivers on the grid and told them to stay with me so I could give them a better lap". The tower then laughingly replied "Well I guess they took it literally."

Good job guys!

Jack
CFR pace car

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Just got back from the track...

2nd SARRC had Todd Buras easily pulling away from the field until clutch/transmission problem which allowed Cottrell to take the lead followed closely by Nettles, Steyn, M. Van Vurst, Munson, Bolanos and Evans.

Cottrell locked em up at the last corner and Nettles edged him for the win by .039! Buras 8th, Joe Benoit 9th, and Cliff B. 10th.

Another great race with 47 Miata's....no black flag, no full course yellows!

Congrats Robert, way to wheel! Sounded like a good race on Sunday, glad I missed Saturday's race though...

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats guys. Cottrell sounds like he's back! Watch out. Congrats to Robert Nettles on the win! That is great to hear. Sucks to have missed all the racing at Daytona this year as that track is fun. Glad everyone had a good time (except for the turn 1, race 1 thing).

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joe in the Top 10? woohoooo!

Will remember Alan Burgess in thoughts and prayers...

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Matthew Van Vurst

Region: florida region
Car #: 08
SMIM: sm
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matthew Van Vurst   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, what a weekend! Daytona is always fun but the view from the front of the pack is priceless .Everyone was a pleasure to race with. I had the time of my life ( I hope you cant hear my pumped up screaming inside the car on the in car video)My brother might think that is wierd [scratchchin] Thanks to everyone.

--------------------
Do you smell something delicious cooking in the oven? SHAKE AND BAKE!

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow what a Weekend!

Congrats to Todd Buras, Andrew Charbonneau, and Danny Steyn on the podium in Saturdays race. I had a lot of fun battling with Matthew Vanvurst, Dave Colledge, Alex Santos, Cliff Blanchard, and Robert Nettles while the three up front put on a clinic.

In Sunday's race Todd Buras was taking everybody to school before a clutch issue took him out. 8th place stuck in 4th gear way to drive Todd. Congrats to Robert Nettles for nipping Michael Cottrell at the finish with Danny Steyn close behind. I've got to "Thank", Matthew Vanvurst, Alex Bolanos, Joe Evans, Dave Colledge, Cliff Blanchard, Alex Santos those three up front for the clean tight racing. I passed and was passed so many times I can't remember and everybody was clean and respectful.

OPM, As always "Thanks for the outstanding support. I wouldn't be where I'm at without your help.

Danny Steyn, Great to see you and your wife and "Thanks" for the help in Sunday's Qualifier.

Todd Buras, I can't "Thank You" enough for your instruction and support.

Chris Fulton, tough break on both of your races. Thanks for allowing my family to stay with your family Friday night and for the help early in Saturdays race.

Paul McLester, Thanks for the support and keeping me grounded.

I have to "Thank" my family and friends that put up with selfish hobbies and most of all I praise "God" for the opportunity most people will never get.

Thanks to all,
George Munson

The camaraderie among the SM racers was awesome this weekend...from helping people with racing lines, fixing cars, or just saying hello.

Update on Alan Burgess....I stopped by the burn trauma unit last night and was told by his family that he suffered burns over 35% of his body and will require skin grafts. His body blistered under the driver suit and the visor melted and distorted (did not melt against his face). He was able to speak with his wife and is in the ICU.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul - thanks for stopping by to introduce yourself Sunday; managed to get out and go the distance in the race even though the car wasn't 100%.

Sorry to hear about Alan Burgess' situation, very unfortunate indeed. Was there any further determination what happened, and whether the pin had been pulled from the fire bottle? Here's hoping he'll have a speedy recovery regardless.

--------------------

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul - on my way to Oz. Please keep us up to date on the situation. I have a very healthy respect for fire. So sad to see so many incidents in SCCA of all types in 09.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

For those that think the 1.6 has no chance in HP, come and race Buras. At Daytona, the quintessential HP track, Todd was the class of the field. So sad to see his clutch quit in R2 while far out front.

Personal apology to Charbonizer - sincerely sorry for the tap coming in to the bus stop in R2! Totally my bad. Hope you will forgive me.

Thanks to all who made Daytona such a blast. Everyone who watched both races said SM was the show!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get well soon Alan, from all of the Race Engineering family.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
For those that think the 1.6 has no chance in HP, come and race Buras. At Daytona, the quintessential HP track, Todd was the class of the field. So sad to see his clutch quit in R2 while far out front.

Danny ;
Daytona is a free breathing TOP END track, torque not so important, 1.6's have always been fast, remember Dr. Matt back in '06, Joe E and then Major Tom, all in 1.6's, all turning high 22's & 23's.
Further, T. Bee in any car runs up front at Daytona. He knows how to enter/exit the bus stop and T-6 ... takes quite a few weekends/races to get it really right ... and then he hits it right every lap. [thumbsup]
Carlos G.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for jbenoit28     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul/Alan,

While I think I had a great weekend and did my personal best in Sunday's race I'm pretty sure the Radiator Jeff L. installed in my car didn't make that much of a difference to get me into 9th place, lack of driver skill would clearly prevent that [Smile] I believe I was 39th on the Grid and finished 26th. At least that was the car I was driving. Pretty good for me and I ran a 2:28 which was 5 seconds faster than my First time at Daytona (this weekend was my second). The #02 car I think was 9th. I'm #28. Now if the driver of the other car doesn't want that spot, I'm not proud, I'll take it [Big Grin]

Joe
Driver #28 and Maybe #02

--------------------

Joe

I didn't even notice the car # or the fact that you are listed as finishing in 9th and 26th!

02 car is usually Chip...not sure who was driving an 02 car this weekend.

--------------------
Paul McLester

I was surprised when I first looked too. One day I'll break the top ten...

Danny,

I was meaning to stop by after the race Sunday but ran out of time getting ready for ITA. I'm curious to see the infamous OPM cooler. I wanted to meet the driver of #06 as we had a great battle going. I really lucked out on the last lap when a yellow Focus baulked a 4 car pack in front of me and I skated by on the outside through the chicane.

Joe

--------------------

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dave colledge was in "the chipper" this weekend.He did a good job but I'm sure Chip was nervous as hell.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Our best to Mr. Burgess and his family - that is beyond horrible. [Frown] I hope his recovery is speedy and successful.

Good driving wherever you ended up Joe! Good job George breaking in to the big time!

I went backwards this weekend, but it was fun anyway.. [Smile] Driving at Daytona is just ridiculously fun...

Joe
sorry to miss you. The 06 OPM car was driven by Ed Strickland in his first ever SM race. He had a great time and I am sure he will be back. Took him a while to get comfortable drafting close in the pack.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

George
I am happy to help; it was good to see your family. It is nice to have them watching when you do so well. Congrats and I am glad the data helped…Crazy how that works..

Andrew, qualifying was great…..the pace lap and racing both days was good fun…I don’t know how you survived all that racing…SM,ITS,SRF...

In the Sunday race, if the top six 99s behind me were to line up and stop fighting each other, I would have been a dead duck….. [duck]

The weekend was great fun….Tom, thanks for the help.
Mike C nice win, (Love the shirt) good job Nettles on the win, but even bigger, coming back from a shaky start.

[ 08-11-2009, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: tburas ]

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holly S#*&@

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26431&page=3

Check it out....

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

If ya can't pass 'em, leap-frog 'em! [fight]

--------------------

The report I have on Alan Burgess is that he is not doing well.

Here are the photos of the car.

http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/gatoratty/Daytona%20Fire/?albumview=grid

--------------------
Paul McLester

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pull your fire bottle pins!!!

ROBERT NETTLES-72

Region: cfr
Car #: 72
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ROBERT NETTLES-72   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a weekend!! Thanks to everyone for all the congrats. I need to give credit to my fellow drivers for an amazing show of great, clean driving. I never would have caught Mikes pink panther if it wasn't for the help of Steyn. He couldv'e dive bombed in every turn but he didnt. Thanks Danny, it couldv'e been either one of us at the end to challenge Cottrell.

Cottrell couldv'e very easily used my car as a brake goin into turn one and had the win but he showed me great respect and gave me the same room I gave him. Next time will have to do a little bump draft, I'm curious to see what color you get from pink and copper!

All in all, the Auto Tecknik crew was great and Jeffs motor was there when I needed it, thanks for the power Jeff and the track support. Can't wait to see everyone at the next race.

--------------------
www.racecoveralls.com

Robert PM sent.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Any more news on Alan? I hope he is on the road to recovery.

--------------------

DerekFSU Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for DerekFSU     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Todd and Cottrell. Cottrell, time to send my engine back to me!

Paul, was Alan trapped in the car? Did it happen at speed so he couldn't get out? Hope his condition improves.

JKJ SM#16 Verified Driver

Car #: 16
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JKJ SM#16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

griff thanks for thinking of my lost weekend, here is the video from my car SM # 16 (john kish) i had no chance to avoid anything.
car is a mess frame bent in 4 place may have to scrap it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vADvpUHhx8Y

Wow John. [Frown] There was way too many seconds between the time that incident started and the time I hit the pile. There's no reason in the world I shouldn't have found a way to miss it. [Frown] Anything I can do to help get you (or anybody else there) back on the track let me know.

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JKJ:
griff thanks for thinking of my lost weekend, here is the video from my car SM # 16 (john kish) i had no chance to avoid anything.

Wow ...
dude, you was mugged ... went wide and still got tagged ... sorry to see multiple hits like that. i was 300 miles away from that clusterf#@k and i still winced.
Note to self : either qualify up front or start DFL ... self preservation must prevail.

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John, it's too bad the weekend ended like that... hope you can salvage somethin outta the car. That was a nice start, you did good with that part man.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

You can tell it was a full moon weekend! What is it they say " to finish first...first you have to finish!" This was the first turn in a 30 min race! I had just pulled off the track after pacing the first group and got the call that all hell had broken loose in turn one and we had a no start. Seeing that many cars in the pits broken or damaged sucked. John..you didn't stand a chance.

--------------------
Paul McLester

quote:

Wow John, that's ugly, and sorry to hear it's worse than it appeared. Looks like it was Mickey Snow in the 79 car that hit me and flashes across the screen in your video before you collect my right side. Guess this one's gonna be costly for us both; both my quarters are shot, and with the expected repair costs and time being what they are, I'm likely done for 2009. Too bad - I was anticipating running the SIC too... guess we'll look forward to better luck in 2010.

--------------------

Griff

I am sorry to hear we won't see you until 2010. Come work a race if you can squeeze in the time.

--------------------
Paul McLester

I have been told that Alan is stable, but has his good days and bad days.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Hi Paul
thanks for the update
have been cheking this thread to look for updates on his condition. We are all pulling for his full recovery.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Griff W:
quote:

Wow John, that's ugly, and sorry to hear it's worse than it appeared. Looks like it was Mickey Snow in the 79 car that hit me and flashes across the screen in your video before you collect my right side. Guess this one's gonna be costly for us both; both my quarters are shot, and with the expected repair costs and time being what they are, I'm likely done for 2009. Too bad - I was anticipating running the SIC too... guess we'll look forward to better luck in 2010.
OUCH! Sorry to see that Griff. I guess the green car's not so pretty anymore... DANG! You sure had it looking good for 300,000+ miles. Let me know if I can help.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Thanks Tim; I think I'll get it back to looking good soon... just picked up a donor for parts (and for much less than the $1100 on the window) ;-)

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00017016/Donor-1.jpg

--------------------

TimBuck Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'll believe it when I believe it.

Region: CalClub
Car #: 44
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TimBuck   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be sure to keep them seperated Griff. They tend to multiply.

--------------------
Tim Buck

MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development
Mazda North American Operations
phone (800) 435-2508
fax (949) 222-2650

zoom-zoom!

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: