Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » VIR Double National Update (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: VIR Double National Update
Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For those of you that are interested, here is a quick update.

40 cars entered - generally a good turnout, and an especially good turnout from up north. Nice to see the Flatout boys here, along with Meathead, BSI, OPM, Autotechnik, Rossini and all the regular SE drivers (all except Chip)

Sat Provisional Qualifying - (.5 secs seperate top 5)
1. Brown 2.20.010
2. Matt Pombo
3. Charboneau
4. Mark Pombo
5. Steyn

Sun Proveiional Qualifying (0.45 secs seperate top 5)
1. Steyn 2.20.008
2. Mark
3. Matt
4. Andrew
4. Cliff

Conditions were hot and windy, tomorrow should be cooler.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Danny,good job and if ya have a couple mins.stop by my brother Ron's pits and give him a couple of pointers! [thumbsup]

He is car number 37
Thanks!and hope you guy's have a good race.

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

latest update after Saturdays race and qualifying

Early morning Q2 session - cooler than yesterday
1. Matt P 2.18.629
2. Charbonneau
3. Steyn
4. Brown
5. Mark P

42 SM Qualifiers
Top 6 were in the 2.19's (4x99's, 1x1.6, 1x'95)
Next 4 were in the 2.20's
Top 20 were faster than 2.21.91
Amazingly deep field

We were group 5 and had a split sart with the SSB and T2/3 cars - this turned out to be the WORST START IN SCCA HISTORY. I kid you not!!!!

The SCCA marshalls really need to take a SERIOUS look at this start, so that it NEVER happens again. It could have ended way worse than it did, and the blame is squarely in the hands of the starter (and of course the pace car drivers)

They sent out the T3/SSB/SSC cars with one pace car and then the SM's with a 2nd pace car. Just a regular split start with seperate green flags - normal stuff - been done a handred times before.

So the first safety car goes really slowly holding up the class in front of us, and the 2nd pace car keeps right on, closing up the gap, so the time we come down out of Hogpen onto the start straight, we are less than 100m behind the tail end of first group and instead of waving off the start, the starter waves the green which off course we can see, so of course we take off with the green.

By the time we are at T4 we are in the thick of the SSC cars, dog slow, and of course all hell breaks loose. Matt makes contact with a guy who turns in on him and there we are completely stopped with the SSC sideways across the track in front of us.

The cluster F@*% that follows was of epic proportions, and cannot be described in words, video will do it better and I will post a clip when I get a chance. How I didnt end up buying a new car is beyond me - just say I got lucky as did many others.

Charboneau got clear, I got restarted in 7th, and Matt was even further behind. Mark was off in the grass along with Cliff Brown who restarted last.

I caught up and passed the guys in front, and moved briefly into 2nd, until Matt passed me and over the next 5 laps we slowly caught Andrew.

After a few mistakes I lost Matt's draft. Matt went on to pass Andrew and get the win, Andrew finished 2nd and I picked up third. Woytek drove the race of his life to pick up 4th in his '95 in a really deep quality field.

Matt also got FRL at 2.19.314 which in those conditions was a pretty stellar lap

Tomorrow promises to be a bit cooler so it could be even faster. Mark P gets the '99 and Matt gets relegated to the 1.6! Another day another race!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Donnie Barnes Verified Driver

Region: SeDiv
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Donnie Barnes   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Who the hell wanted the split start, anyway??? If the showroom stock guys wanted to race together then the split should have been T3 and SM together and then everyone else out BACK. Or let the LONE SSB car stay with us, too, and put the SSC guys out back. They weren't faster than very many SMs anyway. BUT ALMOST ALL OF US were faster than them, so why should we have to pass cars we qualified faster than?

And yeah, the start should have never happened. Major downer.

--Donnie

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Combined groups are the only thing I don't like about SEDiv races. You guys get a large enough car count that you should have your own run group.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Donnie Barnes   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thing is the way qualifying shook out the ONLY people who "needed" a split start were the SSC guys. They were pretty spread out among SMs. The T3 guys were ALL ahead of us. There was only one SSB guy, so he didn't care. So what did they do? They put everyone but SM out front in one group, and us in another. So you had roughly half the SM field faster than about half of the first group, with the other half so fast they were gonna be gone anyway.

Then they compounded the error by letting the groups be on top of one another anyway. So instead of the SS cars being spread out, they were still all packed up when the SMs came roaring down on them. Awesome.

--Donnie

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
You guys get a large enough car count that you should have your own run group.

Blake - 42 cars in SM and they mix other cars into our class! Definitely not right to have another class completely screw up someones championship chances. Note that they do not mix SRF with another class at Nationals and they seldom get our numbers.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Gorilla Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NER
Car #: 44
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gorilla     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

this is a VERY serious issue that i feel the scca has really screwed up on royally. in the past sm always had their own run group (NE Div anyway) and the racing was agressive, but not dangerous.

now in an effort to bring in more money they have added another race group for a regional race or pro-it or some other group to the weekend schedule. to find the room on the schedule they have combined other groups into SM. usually ssb, ssc, t2.

the characteristics of these cars varies greatly from the strenghts of an SM. not to mention driver skills. you've all experienced it, fast down the straights, slow in the turns. every SM'er knows you cannot be held up or everyone will be all over you. so issues get pressed and trouble happens.

it seems that almost all the trouble happens between an SM and some other class of car. someone is going to get very hurt. Kenny Payson breaking his neck last year involved a lotus that never should have been in there with us.

raing and competition wise i also think it really hurts the guys further down the grid. if the guys out front can get by and keep another class of car behind them it kills the guys trying to walk him down that get held up. just last weekend Nick got held up by a t2 that allowed me to break the draft and get away.

we have more cars than SRF most of the time, yet they get their own run group. perhaps they have a better lobby than SM or the SCCA doesn't value SM.

i feel VERY strongly that we need to come together in SM and demand our own run group again. we could boycott a race weekend if needed. bet that will get the SCCA's attention.

if nothing is done things will get worse from here. does SM have a spokesman to address this with the SCCA? does anyone else feel as strongly as i do on this or am i off base?

btw great race Matt, Andrew, Danny and all.

--------------------
Steve Gorriaran
2009 SCCA SM National Champion
2009 NASA E2 Champion 25-Hours of Thunderhill

www.gorillaracing.com

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla:
this is a VERY serious issue that i feel the scca has really screwed up on royally. in the past sm always had their own run group (NE Div anyway) and the racing was agressive, but not dangerous.

now in an effort to bring in more money they have added another race group for a regional race or pro-it or some other group to the weekend schedule. to find the room on the schedule they have combined other groups into SM. usually ssb, ssc, t2.

the characteristics of these cars varies greatly from the strenghts of an SM. not to mention driver skills. you've all experienced it, fast down the straights, slow in the turns. every SM'er knows you cannot be held up or everyone will be all over you. so issues get pressed and trouble happens.

it seems that almost all the trouble happens between an SM and some other class of car. someone is going to get very hurt. Kenny Payson breaking his neck last year involved a lotus that never should have been in there with us.

raing and competition wise i also think it really hurts the guys further down the grid. if the guys out front can get by and keep another class of car behind them it kills the guys trying to walk him down that get held up. just last weekend Nick got held up by a t2 that allowed me to break the draft and get away.

we have more cars than SRF most of the time, yet they get their own run group. perhaps they have a better lobby than SM or the SCCA doesn't value SM.

i feel VERY strongly that we need to come together in SM and demand our own run group again. we could boycott a race weekend if needed. bet that will get the SCCA's attention.

if nothing is done things will get worse from here. does SM have a spokesman to address this with the SCCA? does anyone else feel as strongly as i do on this or am i off base?

btw great race Matt, Andrew, Danny and all.

Agree with you Steve. Luckily in SWDiv, we get our own SM run group all of the time.

As a first year SEDiv driver, I had my race hampered by an out of class car (that ended up in the wall, btw) at Sebring. I've had it happen a few times at Road Atlanta as well. Its really tough to race with out of class cars when you're in a 30+ car grid and there is 2 in that class.

I'd like to hear others comment on the BMW at Homestead. I thought someone was going to take this guy out because he was in the way.

I think the SEDiv powers that be should make a change, or risk losing people wanting to race in such dangerous conditions.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Steve

you are spot on with your observations - this is not only a very serious safety issue, but it is also really pissing off the SM class, having these cars in amongst us really messing up the racing, and interfering with the race results.

To put it into persepctive (as per DOnnie Barnes comments above)
T3 qualified P1 - P5 (they were 3 secs faster than us
SM qualified P6 - P11
the ONLY SSB was P12 (not racing anyone)
SM qualified p13 - p26
ist SSC P27
SM P28 - P29
then you start to get the bunch of SSC cars.
The slowest SSC cars were running 2.39 vs the SM's running 2.19's, and they stared ahead of us

So as Donnie says, because of the terribly close split the entire SM class ran up on the back of the entire group of SSC cars in a complete bunch by turn 4

I will post video - it has to be seen to really fathom just how lucky we all got. This could have been so much worse.

SCCA - please rethink the groups, and please have a serious chat with the starters (starters daughters) pace car drivers. Juast as in the destructive start at CMP a few weeks ago, tell the starter that not can he/she wave off a start, but they really should if it looks like its going to create a dangerous situation.

I can tell you that as we were on the pace lap, closing in on the first group coming down through Hogpen, I (and I am sure many others) was thinking...... OH CRAP this it going to be a complete disaster...... they have to wave this off!!!!

But they didn't.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have forwarded this thread to my member of the SCCA BOD. I would suggest that each of you do the same in your respective divisions.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Actually, I didn't think about the fact that the SMs would be eating up the T3 cars under braking in T1 with their cold Hoosiers and heavy cars. Ugh. But if we had to split that way, Danny is still right...we needed to be spread out. There's just no use in a split start unless we're spread out.

I couldn't see the green, and my crew chief thought there would be two greens so he didn't call the first one. And thus I got roasted on the start. *sigh*

--Donnie

cooleyjb

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cooleyjb     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Grouping will only change things if there are solo run groups. Otherwise the issue just happens in the other run group. The issue I see here has MUCH more to do with the way the pace car and start happened than with how the grouping took place. I personally have had and seen more problems with when/how/if flags are thrown at the starter tower at VIR than all other events combined. I greatly appreciate the workers but at least in my experience it's becoming a regular occurrence.

Also the numbers show that in the SE there are more SRF than SM at the national events. Not sure how the BOD will respond to the 'we have more cars than SRF but they get their own class' when that isn't the case. Quick way to get someone to ignore your arguement. I think it would be better to mention that at an event like Oak Tree maybe running at least a separate race group would be nice in addition to the 6.

http://scca.com/documents/Club_Events/10-...20Participation-MARCH.pdf

And 2009 participation for perspective as well.
http://scca.com/documents/Club_Events/200...pation%20MASTER_FINAL.pdf

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have driven the lead pace car at Daytona with split starts and at Sebring. The communication between the pace cars and starter has to happen to make it work. The starter has to also be willing to not throw the flag if the field is unsafe, either with each group being too close to each other or the cars not being lined up properly coming to the start (CMP). Here in CFR we run SM with other classes without the need for split starts at some races and at other races where the field is larger we split the start for safety and enjoyable racing. The problem with SM having its own class is that we don't always know the car count we will have when the supps and schedules are drawn up. The run groups can only be modified by an RFA. I can tell you that a lot of work and effort goes into determining the run groups and the schedule....and yet people always complain about their group classes or the time they are running. The biggest complaints are always from any class that has to run with SM!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Update after Race 2.

Congrats to the SCCA officials - totally got it right this time - let a good gap of approx 1/3rd of a lap between the two groups.

T3/SSB/SSC got the green before we got to Hogpen. Was a couple of laps before we ran into the SSC's. So much respect and appreciation to the starter, pace car drivers, and all involved. They listened, reacted and made the appropriate changes. Many thanks from all involved.

I will still post the video from the R1 start as I feel it will serve as a good illustration of what can go wrong when split starts are not handled properly.

On to the race report......
Earlier in the morning I nailed the pole with a 2.18.413, under Buras's 4 year old record. Pretty stoked with that. the top 5 were in the 2.18's - can you believe how great this class is!!!

Final grid was
1. Steyn
2. Charboneau
3. Brown
4. Bolanos
5. Mark Pombo
6. Matt Pombo

Race 2 did not go well from me. The changes to setup that we made overnight were perfect in the colder morning qualifier, but did not work so well under the heat of the day.

Stayed up front for the first lap until Mark went by and opened a good lead. Brown, and Bolanos were next by, followed by Charnonneau. Cliffie made some errors, fell back and came past again.

Andrew drove one hell of a race to close down the gap on Mark and made the move on the final lap, getting the win. He also had the FRL at 2.18.546 (NEW LAP RECORD)

Mark P finished 2nd, Cliffie Brown 3rd, Alex Bolanos 4th, Matt Pomob 5th and I salvaged a disappointing 6th after going off track twice

top 7 had race laps in the 2.19's - Charbonneau was the only one in the 2.18's

Many thanks to Tom and Tim at OPM and especially to Mike Rossini for the awesome engine. Also to Glenn at traqmate for the amazing traqmate now synching with my Sony HD camera - to get 1080 HD video (1920 x 1080 pixel) synched with the Traqmate data is pretty amazing - will post a screenshot sometime soon

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Wow, nice job Danny and everyone else. I was completely off my game this weekend, or else I would have been close enough to at least see you guys for a lap or so. [Big Grin]

I guess I should be happier, anyway...I don't think I've ever been in the 2:21's before, and I did get a 2:21.0 in practice. Best I could do was a 21.6 in qualifying yesterday, and then today I botched my only clean lap and was mired in the 23's. Somehow I was just terrible in Friday qualifying, too, basically just overdriving everything. We also battled some strange cooling problems, which finally went away with some reworking of the radiator cap area. But I'm not completely sure the motor didn't get hurt in the process. I had several folks saying "wow, your car is strong" on Thursday and early Friday and yet today I was getting pulled pretty good (by folks finishing in the high teens).

Not my most fun weekend, that's for sure. But I did have a few 21's in the race, too, so that's decent for me. Oh, and I flatspotted the front tires bad on the first lap, which made the rest of the race interesting...like driving on octagonals. [Smile]

Worst moment was a boneheaded attempted pass on the outside of three yesterday. It was going well until I got into the marbles, couldn't turn, dropped a wheel, then looped it into Jonathan, spinning us both to a stop. No significant damage, but we lost a few spots. Least he was cool about it...it was totally my fault.

Always good to see Tom and the rest of the OPM folks.

--Donnie

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
Update after Race 2.

Congrats to the SCCA officials - totally got it right this time - let a good gap of approx 1/3rd of a lap between the two groups.

Danny,

As I was the driver of pace car 1 today, I'll take all the credit for today's start, and non of the blame for Saturday's (I was spectating). [Big Grin] I kept the SS/T group at a good pace the whole way round. I believe they had made it through 5 when you took the green.

The obvious answer, is that's easy to blame the pace car drivers. Unfortunatly our actions in the pace car are often only as good as the decisions made by the stewards and the false grid. Often time's the stewards are guilty of talking in circles and micro managing at the same time.

And yes, your wife is right... the orange over blue does make the car easy to find!

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

MegaModerator

Danny - Check your PM's regarding the sony camera.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FAST times. Appreciate the updates Danny.

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

Mitch Reading Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: 65
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Reading     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any tech? Still running hot fuel?

--------------------
http://www.mitchum.ms

MegaModerator

Where did the green wheels finish?

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Reading:

No fuel that I saw and very little tech. However it seemed that everyone was able to run about the same speeds and I dont think there was a lot of complaining about anyones car being too strong. All and all it was a good weekend. That was the first time I have been to the track but it wont be my last; what a great place. I had to leave Saturday night but in the first race I was able to get to second before driving off of the track and eventually ended up 6th. Voytek, Alex B, and myself had a battle for 4th through 6th with lots of side by side and almost no contact (just a little tire mark on my door). I also wanted to thank my Autotechnik boys Andrew, Alex B, Rene, Cliff Brown, and Cliffy Chains for helping me get up to speed so quickly, as well as, keeping me from going to jail. [Eek!]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Tech was minimal.

This was the first national this year that I did smell hot gas. Smelt some in one of the qualifiers (ERC) and some in the 2nd race on the first few laps (not ERC but more like SR2 - could have been the 100 octane track pump gas but not sure).

Surprised if any of the front runners are taking such a chance. Most of the cars seemed very even.

Getting a good run out of the slower corners made all the difference, as did the draft which made massive differences to top speeds on all 3 straights - as much as 4MPH on back straight and the front straight and around 2-3MPH up the uphill esses.

The difference between winning and finishing 6th was not so much speed as lack of mistakes. The Pombos were flawless, Charbonneau as well. Brown was ever the cowboy, me too. Bolanos drove really well in his 94, very controlled and very clean. So too was Voytek in his '95. They were both off in the straights for sure, but held their ground in the corners.

Cars from the North got a real good look at the talent pool in the SE, plus the level of prep of the entire field. I expect to see some Northern cars getting way quicker in the near future.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In my experience you can not smell SR1 when burning at all. No different than pump or Sun 100. You can smell ERC for sure, I smelled it at Sebring as well. Someone was definitely running it.

For the record, Sun100 has not been tested that I am aware of. I ran it at Hallet as I had some left, but it is a chance until tested IMO. I was hoping someone else would have spent the $250, but to my knowledge no one has.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Drago
yup IMHO you CAN smell SR1 - its close but there is defintiely a solvent fragrance note that lingers - more noticable on the downshift blip to match revs. Definitely noticeable at the tank just by sniffing. Maybe its my highly trained wine tasting schnozz!!!!!

ERC - well that will make your eyes water!!!!! No hiding that!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I smelled some hot fuel on test day from at least one SM who shall remain nameless. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

MegaModerator

Who would waste hot fuel on test day?

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe if you have a coon dogs nose and put it right to the exhaust pipe you can. But on the track in a car, no way. You can definitely smell pouring it in or sniffing a gas tank. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
]sniffing a gas tank. [Big Grin]

Where is Rick Maki when you need him? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
]sniffing a gas tank. [Big Grin]

Where is Rick Maki when you need him? [Big Grin]
Tech was boring without him this year!

Rene Badia Jr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rene Badia Jr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This was my first national, and I had a great time! Big thanks to Cliff Blanchard for letting me use his 91 and the rest of the AutoTechnik guys. Met a lot of really nice people and was able to run with them as well.

Hey Jamie, 2.20.2 in the last qualy!

Thanks again to all and see you guys soon.

--------------------
Rene Badia Jr
AutoTechnik Racing/Team BDR/SpeedSource

Rene
you and the black 1.6 were pretty damned swift all weekend - great driving - nice meeting you as well.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rene Badia Jr:
This was my first national, and I had a great time! Big thanks to Cliff Blanchard for letting me use his 91 and the rest of the AutoTechnik guys. Met a lot of really nice people and was able to run with them as well.

Hey Jamie, 2.20.2 in the last qualy!

Thanks again to all and see you guys soon.

Right on big dog!!!! I told you those tires were still good!!! I wish I could have raced with you on Sunday but at least I got Saturday in. See you at the next race!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Right on big dog!!!! I told you those tires were still good!!! I wish I could have raced with you on Sunday but at least I got Saturday in. See you at the next race! [/QB]
We missed you on Sunday knuckles!

Great weekend for me, unbelievable track... makes Homestead look like a McDonalds drivethrough...

I steadily improved from the test day on, every session studying data from the veterans in our camp (thanks guys!)and working hard with Jamie at consistency. Managed to get down to a 19.1 and two consecutive 18.9xx in Sunday morning qual after making a setup adjustment that proved to be huge and hanging off the rear bumpers of '99s [Wink]

Good to see the usual suspects upfront, I ended up 5th on Sat and 3rd on Sun after Cliffy Brown got docked 1 position for contact in the esses. Congrats to Charbocookie and Pombo on the wins, few had enough to keep up with them. [thumbsup]

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had plenty of time this last weekend, I pretty much "sucked" popped a motor on Q1, lost a throttle cable in Q2, Lost my mind drinking with the AT crew, went to the wrong airport, pulled over doing 105 in a 65, then lost another motor in the bling 1.6 Rene was in. [fight] [fight]

I did get a chance to witness Charbocookie changing his own brake pads, adjusting his own air pressures and even filling his car to the exact weight he wanted. That was priceless.... [rolling on floor laughin]

Congrats to all, great weekend, Bolanos and Knuckles 1st time at the track was impressive. I still want to know how all of us got "cut off" at the bar at 11pm?? [scratchchin]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Rene Badia Jr

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rene Badia Jr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Reading:

No fuel that I saw and very little tech. However it seemed that everyone was able to run about the same speeds and I dont think there was a lot of complaining about anyones car being too strong. All and all it was a good weekend. That was the first time I have been to the track but it wont be my last; what a great place. I had to leave Saturday night but in the first race I was able to get to second before driving off of the track and eventually ended up 6th. Voytek, Alex B, and myself had a battle for 4th through 6th with lots of side by side and almost no contact (just a little tire mark on my door). I also wanted to thank my Autotechnik boys Andrew, Alex B, Rene, Cliff Brown, and Cliffy Chains for helping me get up to speed so quickly, as well as, keeping me from going to jail. [Eek!]
Get in the bush B***h!! HA HA that was the Highlight of the weekend! lol

--------------------
Rene Badia Jr
AutoTechnik Racing/Team BDR/SpeedSource

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy Chains:
I had plenty of time this last weekend, I pretty much "sucked" popped a motor on Q1, lost a throttle cable in Q2, Lost my mind drinking with the AT crew, went to the wrong airport, pulled over doing 105 in a 65, then lost another motor in the bling 1.6 Rene was in. [fight] [fight]

I did get a chance to witness Charbocookie changing his own brake pads, adjusting his own air pressures and even filling his car to the exact weight he wanted. That was priceless.... [rolling on floor laughin]

Congrats to all, great weekend, Bolanos and Knuckles 1st time at the track was impressive. I still want to know how all of us got "cut off" at the bar at 11pm?? [scratchchin]

How many nicknames do I need?
Midget
Highchair
Knuckles
Errol's Brother from a different momma
Hell I forgot the rest
As far as getting cut off, I think it had to do with our leader dropping a glass or AVC [Eek!] ringing the bell that turned out to be a trophy in a trophy case. As far as being asked not to come back ever again; that might of had something to do with the guy getting launched over the railing down into the bushes below but I'm not sure. Get in the bush b#*ch!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:

Sorry about your throttle cable but you do bare some responsibility! How could you let me go out with Andrew the night before and than work on your car? Hello!!! Your lucky the whole motor didn't fall out. Although going to the wrong airport was my fault! As a pilot you would have thought I would have known the difference between GSO and RDU.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

B(Kuch) Kucera 45 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NeOh
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B(Kuch) Kucera 45   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
quote:

How many nicknames do I need?
Midget
Highchair
Knuckles
Errol's Brother from a different momma
Hell I forgot the rest
As far as getting cut off, I think it had to do with our leader dropping a glass or AVC [Eek!] ringing the bell that turned out to be a trophy in a trophy case. As far as being asked not to come back ever again; that might of had something to do with the guy getting launched over the railing down into the bushes below but I'm not sure. Get in the bush b#*ch!

Damn I need to start racing and hanging out with you guy's,I miss all the fun!Sounds like my kind of party! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob
!KUCH!

"All my drinking buddies have a racing problem"

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

"Midget" for obvious reasons
"High Chair" - we have proof, you sat in one 1/2 of dinner

Now "Knuckles", is a a good one, because Bolanos said it was much easier to follow Jamie, because looking thru his back window, all he seen was "Knuckles" [laughing]

Anyone who "possess the amount of undeniable praisable talent you do", deserves more than 1 nickname, wouldn't you agree?? [Big Grin]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

racerfink Verified Driver
Gig 'em Aggies

Region: Central Florida Region
Car #: 111
Year : '90 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racerfink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After reading the race/police report, I can't tell if I'm glad or mad that I didn't go...

--------------------
'90 Spec Miata
'90 Street Miata
'96 Chevy 1500
http://www.AutoTechnikRacing.com
www.myspace.com/projecthband

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Between recovering from this weekend and work going to hell in a hand basket just now had a chance to post. FUN weekend with lots of great racing. Worked 9 and 10, mostly 9 but some time at 10.

That first split start did a disservice to everyone... good news is the operating steward listened and made things right on Sunday. Racing was great with lots of incredibly close action and very little contact in my neck of the woods, thoroughly enjoyed not having to do anything but watch. Great to finally meet one of the nicest guys in the paddock and someone we would miss dearly, one Mr. Andrew Charbonneau.

Hope to see y'all in Atlanta for the last national of the SEDIV year.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

SM-SCCA

Region: Southeast
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SM-SCCA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In Danny's race recap above he indicated that Matt and Mark Pombo swapped between their 1.6 and 99 on Saturday and Sunday in this double national at VIR. Looking at their lap times and results from the races and qualifying, both Matt and Mark had better lap times and race results when they were in the 99 versus the 1.6.

It would be very interesting to hear feedback and commentary from each of these talented drivers on the characteristics of each of these cars at a track that is considered by many to promote parity among all variations of the SM.

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SM-SCCA:
In Danny's race recap above he indicated that Matt and Mark Pombo swapped between their 1.6 and 99 on Saturday and Sunday in this double national at VIR. Looking at their lap times and results from the races and qualifying, both Matt and Mark had better lap times and race results when they were in the 99 versus the 1.6.

It would be very interesting to hear feedback and commentary from each of these talented drivers on the characteristics of each of these cars at a track that is considered by many to promote parity among all variations of the SM.

I can only speak for my 1994 but the only way I was able to run between 18.6 and 19.3 on pace was in the draft of a 99, even if I'd started on pole there was no way to hold off the 99s. I'm pretty sure Badia in Blanchard's 91, both Pombos in their 1.6, and Voytek in his 95 would tell a similar story.

Oh well... I'm almost done with my 99 anyway [Wink]

ARRC 2010 Champ

Alex your a good friend but I am going to have to call BS. Your car and Voytek's car were as fast as any of the 99s there.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

IMHO the situation at VIR was as follows

* Badia in Cliffie's 1.6 had my number power wise - no issue there - I was only able to break out of the draft in the braking zone (but Cliffies "down on power" 1.6 is not a typical 1.6!)

* Pombo's 1.6 is not as strong as Cliffies, and was not up to the '99s. I do not beleive it is getting the same attention as their 99, as I was easily held off at the same track by Gaines's 1.6 four weeks earlier.

* Bolanos's 94 is stout - but not up to the 99s. He is super quick in the corners but does not have the top end speed we have (when I say "we" I mean a TOP FLIGHT 99). His 94 is way more stellar than 90% of the SM fields 99's

* Woytek's '95 is definitely not up to our level and gives up quite a bit in the motor department. His car has not had anywhere near to the prep or dyno time the top 99's have. Not even close in terms of the motor and prep. But he is one helluva driver for sure, and when he gets his program to our level he will be tough to beat.

* The cars from up north had a real taste of the level of prep of the SE top runners. I beleive their was a lot of head shaking and name calling initially but the Pombos and others took the time to set the record straight and offer advice about what to do to raise their game.

Our cars literally walked their cars in a straight line. I know for sure that there will be a completely different approach to prep and dyno time being introduced in some of the teams.

* guys - the game at the front is STRONG - the amount of time being devoted to prep in between races is nothing sort of staggering.... IMHO if you are not working on your car every day between races, then you will be giving the others an advantage that you will have to overcome with innate skill.

I am sure some of the other drivers will have differing opinions. I did have the opportunity to look at some competitive data and my feeling is the top cars are within 2-3% of each other. (and the frightening thing is that in SM that is possibly too much to give away!!!

See you guys soon

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Video
sorry for the lack of video of the start but it has not been for the lack of trying - dealing with really slow bandwidth throttling here in South Africa and have not been able to upload video file - will do it once back in the USA.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

quote:

* The cars from up north had a real taste of the level of prep of the SE top runners. I beleive their was a lot of head shaking and name calling initially but the Pombos and others took the time to set the record straight and offer advice about what to do to raise their game.

Our cars literally walked their cars in a straight line. I know for sure that there will be a completely different approach to prep and dyno time being introduced in some of the teams.

* guys - the game at the front is STRONG - the amount of time being devoted to prep in between races is nothing sort of staggering.... IMHO if you are not working on your car every day you will be giving the others an advantage that you will have to compensate with innate skill.

Excellent post - and I share much of the same opinions on the prep and competition level in the SEDiv currently.

Drago and I were just talking about this last week and came to many of the same conclusions. If you can touch the front in the SEDiv, you can run up front anywhere.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

kevin 22 Verified Driver

Region: NYR
Car #: 22
Icon 1 posted  Profile for kevin 22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
IMHO the situation at VIR was as follows

* guys - the game at the front is STRONG - the amount of time being devoted to prep in between races is nothing sort of staggering.... IMHO if you are not working on your car every day between races, then you will be giving the others an advantage that you will have to overcome with innate skill.

See you guys soon

If I were willing to put that much effort into my car then I would rather run Conti challange or MX5cup.

For SCCA club racing... My car doesn't leave the trailer between races

--------------------
Kevin Anderson

ARRC 2010 Champ

Danny I ran with both Voytek and Alex the entire race door to door and both of there cars had the ability to pass me down the straight. Voytek passed me twice half way down the back straight (top end of 4th) and when our cars got side my side that is how we ran the rest of the way. The only way I could catch Alex's car in a straight line was in the draft; without that we held the same distance. The data showed that if our exit speed was the same our top speed would be almost identical.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: