Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » SM2 (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: SM2
Bill Vanderford Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: Atlanta
Car #: #21
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Vanderford   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Remembering back to when I started racing again in 2004...after an absense of more than 30 years, I was fortunate enough to have chosen the SM class. At that time, the only cars running were 90 to 97 Miatas, and most of those were almost stock. SM was a region only class and it drew 40 to 60 cars at every race. Soon the prepared engines started showing up, which made the class more expensive, and when the class went National, the numbers started to dwindle. For the older 90-97 cars, the last straw was allowing the 99 to 03 cars into the mix. People who could afford it, parked or sold their old SMs and started competeing with the newer Miatas, so more and more of the older cars quit racing because they couldn't compete. Over the past few years, there has been an attempt to introduce the SSM class, which (if done according to the rules) would cost an SM driver about $2000 to convert. Now thanks to my suggestion and lots of conversations with, and hard work by Butch Kummer, all of us with 90 to 97 cars can return to the track with some chance of winning our own class. The new SM2 class only requires that you have a 90 to 97 Spec Miata that conforms to the GCR rules for the SM class. No expensive changes have to be made, and we will still run the same race with all the other SMs. We simply have a class within a class. Our first sanctioned race is the Double SAARC at Road Atlanta on 17 and 18 July, 2010. This will be followed by the Double SAARC at Barber on Labor Day Weekend, and the ARRC in November. So, get those old SMs out of the garage, dust them off, and let's show the Atlanta Region how much fun we can have with older Miatas in our own class!

--------------------
2004 NASA SE Spec Miata Champion

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM2 is a bad idea! But for those that just want say they finished top 5 and not 10th here is your chance. Of course if the National drivers that are running 99s decide to run their older cars most of the SM2 drivers will go right back to 10th; I guess there will be another excuse if that happens. I am not trying to bust on you Bill but many drivers, including myself do not want to split the class in any way.

[ 06-19-2010, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Jamie Tucker ]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
SM2 is a bad idea! But for those that just want say they finished top 5 and not 10th here is your chance. Of course if the National drivers that are running 99s decide to run their older cars most of the SM2 drivers will go right back to 10th; I guess there will be another excuse if that happens. I am not trying to bust on you Bill but many drivers, including me do not want to split the class in any way.

+1

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bill we have lots of 90-97 cars racing here in Florida. The idea that everyone has parked their 90-97 because they can't compete is BS! First they bastardize the ARRC for car count and now try to split the class. My guess is this too shall pass....

--------------------
Paul McLester

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We were planning on attending the upcoming SARRC at Road Atlanta and doing the ARRC as we did last year. Now it will be a wait and see! If the entry list shows there is a spilt and the car count is minimal in each class we will not bother going.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The whole 90-97 in the garage thing is a myth. Simply put, if you have enough money to race up front, you would do something different, buy aother car, etc. If you don't care about racing up front then the excuse is very lame, and the car year counts probably prove that accross the nation. I guess this will help prove it is a myth.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Vanderford:
Now thanks to my suggestion and lots of conversations with, and hard work by Butch Kummer, all of us with 90 to 97 cars can return to the track with some chance of winning our own class. The new SM2 class only requires that you have a 90 to 97 Spec Miata that conforms to the GCR rules for the SM class.

With all due respect, you are racing a SM regardless of what you want to call it or class designation you decide to put on the door. It doesn't make it any better that others who can't compete in SM also decide put SM2 on their cars. I will be at Barber and ARRC with my SM2, trying to win SM. [Big Grin] Could care less about SM2. Hopefully some of the Florida clan will be doing the same and help prove the point. [nope]

And +2 with what Tucker said

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Vanderford:
Now thanks to my suggestion and lots of conversations with, and hard work by Butch Kummer, all of us with 90 to 97 cars can return to the track with some chance of winning our own class. The new SM2 class only requires that you have a 90 to 97 Spec Miata that conforms to the GCR rules for the SM class.

With all due respect, you are racing a SM regardless of what you want to call it or class designation you decide to put on the door. It doesn't make it any better that others who can't compete in SM also decide put SM2 on their cars. I will be at Barber and ARRC with my SM2, trying to win SM. [Big Grin] Could care less about SM2. Hopefully some of the Florida clan will be doing the same and help prove the point. [nope]

And +2 with what Tucker said

Does SM2 = Same Miata 2 slow to compete? Why the Atlanta region would commit to 3 weekends of SM2 I have no idea. Drago if you need a hand proving a point I am more then willing. Wait until Alex Balonos, Cliffy Chains, And Jeff show up and outrun most of the 99s (if not win) with their OLD miatas. After that we are going to need SM3 for those that don't career their cars. Maybe we should not even keep track of the finishing order that way nobody will get their feelings hurt! [twocents]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
SM2 is a bad idea! But for those that just want say they finished top 5 and not 10th here is your chance. Of course if the National drivers that are running 99s decide to run their older cars most of the SM2 drivers will go right back to 10th; I guess there will be another excuse if that happens. I am not trying to bust on you Bill but many drivers, including myself do not want to split the class in any way.

+3

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The fast guys in our region are the fast guys not because they have better cars than everyone else, but because they're better drivers (just ask the SFR guys [Smile] ). I have no doubt that my car is a front-running car (it was with its previous owner); I'm not yet a front-running racer.

All these splinter classes are little more than an excuse not to race directly against the best drivers. I can guarantee anyone that any and every splinter class will have those who will spend more money to have a better car than others, so you're not really escaping that (and that includes, IMO, "sealed Spec Miata"); if you go out and get a podium in a group without the best drivers, you fell good? I don't.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, I disagree on all points. The guys who are the best in this region are both better drivers and have great cars. Also, if you enter as a splinter class when everyone else registers in SM, you bought that checkered flag fair and square. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, since this change has obviously already happened...

How many SM2 wins is it going to take (by the same guys that have top shelf 99s) to make those that dreamed this genius idea up to revert the rules back to all one class? I've got no problem leaving my 99 at home and running the 94 to prove some people wrong.

Lets set the grid now:

Alex B - 94
Jeffy - 91
Jamie - Jeff's 95 rental
Charboknuckle - we'll find you something with popup headlights
Cliffy Chains - 91
Pombo - the glittery 1.6
Drago - bring your 1.8 over
Chippy - the potato chip 1.6
Fowler - the OPM rockstar 1.6
Gaines - SARRC leading 1.6
Bize - the BSI rockstar 1.6
Voytek - 95

What'ya say boys? Lets mythbust!

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Agree 100% with Jamie above - DO NOT SPLIT THE CLASS

Also Alex - count me in with one of Tom's rental 1.6's. I know just how fast his 1.6's are - top flight for sure - lets bust some myths.

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Mark McCallister Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Just graduated from novice to rookie!!

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark McCallister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
quote:

+3
+4 (and I'm not a top driver (yet) and my 1.6 is not top (or even mid- [Smile] ) prepped). Bad idea. If I want an easy trophy I'll go buy one, they are cheap and the Trophy Shop asks no questions.

ARRC 2010 Champ

What also needs to be said is that many 99s are not front running cars. We all have seen Legal pop up headlight Miatas do in many 99s; so really what we are talking about is a way to limit the amount of well prepped cars the old cars have to compete against. How do you think the drivers in 99s that run in the back feel? Who are they to blame. Is that not what SSM was all about? Of course there are SSM cars out there now that spend every bit as much money and are as fast as a Spec Miata so I guess that didn't work.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think....sorry I know... that I race against the best SM drivers in the country...bar none...here in Florida. I run mid pack on a good day and at the back when my fire system goes off. [Eek!] My not being at the front has more to do with my driving experience and ability, followed by the fact that I don't prep my car to the level of the front runners (by choice and budget) and yet I can honestly say that racing with these guys (most of them are named above) has been all that I had hoped the SM class would be. The competition is intense, the racing is great from front to back, the friendships and off the track conversations are an added bonus. I will probably never see a podium with the level of the competition here, but I will know when I decide to quit that I raced with the best and most importantly had a great time racing. I used to argue for splitting the class...not anymore. Leave things alone and just let us race. If you want a trophy or something to hang on the wall....maybe we can give every driver a participation medal like they do in special olympics! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Paul McLester

Chris Fulton

Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+5, 90% of the fields I race in are 90-97 cars? PLEASE DON'T SPLIT THE CLASS.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bolanos:
Well, since this change has obviously already happened...

How many SM2 wins is it going to take (by the same guys that have top shelf 99s) to make those that dreamed this genius idea up to revert the rules back to all one class? I've got no problem leaving my 99 at home and running the 94 to prove some people wrong.

Lets set the grid now:

Alex B - 94
Jeffy - 91
Jamie - Jeff's 95 rental
Charboknuckle - we'll find you something with popup headlights
Cliffy Chains - 91
Pombo - the glittery 1.6
Drago - bring your 1.8 over
Chippy - the potato chip 1.6
Fowler - the OPM rockstar 1.6
Gaines - SARRC leading 1.6
Bize - the BSI rockstar 1.6
Voytek - 95

What'ya say boys? Lets mythbust!

Ok so all of us plus Steyn are running Barber SARRC in SM2? [Smile] It will be fun, I think that puts solid lock on top 10?

Cliff Brown has a really good 1.6 too [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is funny [Smile]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

The sad part is that with you guys running SM2 Butch will use the entry numbers to tell everyone how successful his idea was to split the class......Better idea may be to boycott Barber and come and run Sebring that weekend!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
The sad part is that with you guys running SM2 Butch will use the entry numbers to tell everyone how successful his idea was to split the class......Better idea may be to boycott Barber and come and run Sebring that weekend!

Y'all just register your 90-97s in the SM run group. I don't see where it is required that 90-97s run in SM2. This would prove that the 90-97s can compete and not skew the numbers in SM2s favor. I plan on running ARRC, but plan on registering in SM.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is nothing making you run SM2, if you don't want too.... simply don't.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
There is nothing making you run SM2, if you don't want too.... simply don't.

Lance, when somebody cross-posts the same splinter class announcement in three separate forums here, that's going to invite some commentary. Shouldn't be a surprise.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Commentary is one thing, telling folks not to show because a class is listed on the schedule that they don't have to run is much different. Either its going to work... or not.

--------------------

Lance you know very well that the entry numbers are routinely used by different factions in the club to support their agenda at the regional, divisional, and National levels of the club. I am merely pointing out that running SM2 with a 90-97 actually works against their goal of proving that we don't need the class. If people want to run those races and disagree with SM2....then just run SM and use the lap times to prove their point. Editorializing, commentary, opinions, points of view, and yes people telling others not to do something or use something all appear on these forums on a regular basis.

--------------------
Paul McLester

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Vote with your entry or non entry. Not that anyone cares, but my opinion is that splitting the class will be counter productive.

Administrator

Paul, if someone from the Atlanta Region was pushing for the boycott of the Sebring event you wouldn't like it much either. And again, CFL still runs SMT yet you don't see posts from ATL peeps goin "oh that SMT sucks, don't run it and come run our events instead." You guys run SMT, and it either will work... or won't, we'll do SM2 and it will work... or it won't. See you at the ARRC running SM?

--------------------

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lance, Given the stature of those posting against the SSM/SMT/SM2 concepts I doubt that many will express the counter arguments. I suspect that the DC Region SSM program and the West Coast SMT programs participants feel a bit differently. It is interesting that mostly the front runner drivers with top budgets and prep are posting. Those who want to compete at the highest level should focus on National level competition and leave regional racing to regional racers. At the very least they should not object when folks with regional level driving talent, budgets and prep want to run against a like level of competition. I have seen many classes come and go in my 37 year of competition. The original concept of SM as a low budget entry level class was one of the best I have seen. It brought many new drivers in to the club. Some will insist that the escalation of cost in the class will not decrease its appeal or participation levels. Time will tell, but I see no reason why the front runners feel so threatened by permitting at least one class that attempts to maintain something closer to the original concept that produced such great participation. I'm sure this post will get hammered but I think there are two sides to this issue.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Uh I thought this was about 90-97 not about SSM. By the way, on the West coast (SFR), SMT is SM. SFR SSM seems to be in disarray, and even our local CSM is on the downturn. The East coast SSM seems to be the only splinter class that still thrives, mostly because it's been around since the early days, but that class was formed because of rules creep.

SM is still the best entry level, low budget class (with more than a few cars per region) in SCCA! We may lose a couple folks per year, but we still have an influx of new drivers every year.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Whitlock:
It is interesting that mostly the front runner drivers with top budgets and prep are posting. Those who want to compete at the highest level should focus on National level competition and leave regional racing to regional racers. At the very least they should not object when folks with regional level driving talent, budgets and prep want to run against a like level of competition. I have seen many classes come and go in my 37 year of competition. The original concept of SM as a low budget entry level class was one of the best I have seen. It brought many new drivers in to the club. Some will insist that the escalation of cost in the class will not decrease its appeal or participation levels. Time will tell, but I see no reason why the front runners feel so threatened by permitting at least one class that attempts to maintain something closer to the original concept that produced such great participation. I'm sure this post will get hammered but I think there are two sides to this issue.

Terry. Last year I ran regionals and a few nationals. This year I am running nationals and a few regionals. I would run more regionals if the economy hadnt ripped my business a new one.

Just because I run nationals doesnt mean I cant run regionals. And if I or any other national runner runs a regional it doesnt mean that you are NOT competing against your regular regional competitors with the same budget or prep. They are still there, they didnt just up and run away.

What it does mean, if I get lucky, that you might be one place further down in the finishing order. And I stress, this is not a given.

So this entire argument all comes down to $5 plastic trophies.

Personally I would prefer to finish 20th in the best field possible than to finish in a stripped down classs where no-one with any front running capabilities are present. But hey, thats just me

Flame suit on!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

My take on this is simple

I you split the class, you will dilute the class, and you will encourage fewer newbies to join and race.

It is PRECISELY the size of the fields, and the closeness of the racing, from the hail mary passes at the front pack, to the mirror banging exchanges in the middle of the field, to the last turn kamikaze pass for 60th place that makes Spec Miata so attractive.

And thats precisely why I joined this class just over two years ago.

I beg you DO NOT SPLIT THE CLASS. I have seen what this does in other sports and the result is diluted fields and a way less attractive product.

Just my $0.02

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I agree with Danny, I will be completing my 2nd school at Sebring next month. The reason we chose SM was exactly what he mentions, large fields with drivers and all levels of skill, no matter where your talent or prep level falls, there is someone to race with. We chose to build a 94, and I for one am totally against a slit of the class.

Greg

Alex Gaines Verified Driver

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Having a 1.6 can I still run regular SM at Atlanta? Are they going to be run separate or together?

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
2010 13 Hours of VIR Champions
Race Engineering

ARRC 2010 Champ

Alex as I understand it you will have the choice to run in either class. I hope you run that 1.6 with the rest of us. I hear it is fast so I would love to see what it can do against our 99s.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Just because I run nationals doesnt mean I cant run regionals.
Damn national carpetbaggers come in and stink up the show for us little regional guys. Ought to be a rule. [Razz] [duck]

Call'em by as many names as you want - what I like best is Miata only groups - no SRFs, ITs, SSBs, etc. We should all use our numbers to encourage regions to give us our own group whenever possible. Vote with your entry.

-Denny

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
quote:
Just because I run nationals doesnt mean I cant run regionals.
Damn national carpetbaggers come in and stink up the show for us little regional guys. Ought to be a rule. [Razz] [duck]

Call'em by as many names as you want - what I like best is Miata only groups - no SRFs, ITs, SSBs, etc. We should all use our numbers to encourage regions to give us our own group whenever possible. Vote with your entry.

-Denny

Now there is plan worth getting behind!!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

ARRC 2010 Champ

Does anybody know how the points would work for this? Does SARRC now have an SM2 class?

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Alex as I understand it you will have the choice to run in either class. I hope you run that 1.6 with the rest of us. I hear it is fast so I would love to see what it can do against our 99s.

I ain't skeered. I'll be in regular SM then. haha [cheerful]

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
Race Engineering

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSM is alive and well here in the northeast. I don't run it with my 99, but many of my SM competitors do. This year the New England region introduced "double dipping" entries where the second race group entered is half price. I don't know how it has affected the entry numbers, but we're all getting twice the racing every weekend now and it's great. Those of us with 99s have been jumping between ITS and STU depending on the schedule while the 90-97 cars can choose between SSM and ITA.

Last weekend at the Lime Rock regional, we got to race FOUR TIMES on Saturday, with qual races in the morning and points races in the afternoon. Everybody loved it and it mostly justified the cost of racing at LRP.

The only way I can see for you guys to screw it up is to put SM and SM2 on track at the same time so people can't race in both classes on the same day. The race organizers need to be on board with the concept and doctor the schedule so that drives have time between run groups to make the necessary changes to the cars.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey; I bet there will be alot of happy guys in SM when you guys run SM2. Just think they just gained 10 spots and alot of points. And I bet they are keeping real silent right now. I do not think it has anything to do with trophies it may have to do with running with like prepped cars or cars they feel as equal as theirs. FV has fought with this for years. You've got guys like Tod Buras or jamie that can put a 1.6 at the lead but and I believe they are harder to drive fast. Jamie knows more about that than me. I like the class because my fiancee can run in SM or SMT then I can run in ITA and its cheaper for both of us. WE are doing something together having fun and not one of us just sitting around bored. Thats why we sold a top ITC car and bought the SM. The having fun part gets lost for something else. I don't care if there are 100 cars or 10 cars in SM I'll race any class car that comes close and starting near the back you guys come around to me sooner or later even though you don't stay long HA HA .

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a SARRC race at PBIR this weekend and Fl. Region does not recognize "splinter" groups of Spec Miatas. One class, SM, that's it. If your Miata is prepared to Spec Miata specifications as per GCR and SEDIV guidelines, that is where you shall race. As of 10;00 AM this morning a grand total of FIVE SM's have registered for this SARRC race. To my knowledge there is nothing else scheduled in SEDIV this weekend. I do not see any SSB, SSC or T3 cars registered in your group. SM is the only class recognized, SARRC points are on the line, at this point you have your own run group and only FIVE SM drivers are interested.
What did we do wrong?? What could we do differently?

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
SSM is alive and well here in the northeast. I don't run it with my 99, but many of my SM competitors do.

How do they do that? I may come up [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSM & SM2 are not SARRC classes and neither is SMT.

I have no dog in this hunt so I have no real reason to comment on these classes.

I will say that I just counted the number of classes for the Atlanta Region race and there are 49.

And just for kicks, I counted the number for the Sebring Double in August and it too has 49, 5 of which are different from Atlanta. So between the two Regions, there are 54 different classes.

FYI, there are 44 SARRC point classes.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FWIW in DC, if we did not run two classes, SM and SSM, we would have to turn away folks every weekend.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Whitlock:
The original concept of SM as a low budget entry level class was one of the best I have seen.

And that's exactly what we have! The idea that increased car counts will never lead to increased prep levels is a pipe dream. If you want to run in a budget series that doesn't care about prep (or crushes your car if you do!), give LeMons or ChumpCar a try.

Otherwise, any SM field with more than 25 cars will have someone with an equal combination of prep and skill to race regardless of the class stickers on the side of the car.

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

GLF Verified Driver

Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GLF     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1.6 cars are tough, fast and competitive with the right drivers

MegaModerator

No car or driver is fast enough to win alone, it takes both. Very good car and very good driver, a little luck never hurts either [scratchchin]
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
No car or driver is fast enough to win alone, it takes both. Very good car and very good driver, a little luck never hurts either [scratchchin]
Jim

+1

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
Race Engineering

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. John:
There is a SARRC race at PBIR this weekend and Fl. Region does not recognize "splinter" groups of Spec Miatas. One class, SM, that's it. If your Miata is prepared to Spec Miata specifications as per GCR and SEDIV guidelines, that is where you shall race. As of 10;00 AM this morning a grand total of FIVE SM's have registered for this SARRC race. To my knowledge there is nothing else scheduled in SEDIV this weekend. I do not see any SSB, SSC or T3 cars registered in your group. SM is the only class recognized, SARRC points are on the line, at this point you have your own run group and only FIVE SM drivers are interested.
What did we do wrong?? What could we do differently?

There will be a few more! I am coming with 3 drivers and none have not registered yet. We were trying to make it up to the sprints but it will not work out so I am coming over to visit PBIR for the weekend. See you there!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

RSchuster

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RSchuster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The main reason I am looking to join the SM ranks is because of large field competition. Small class numbers is steering me away from BMW racing right now, If there is a potential of this happening from the division of the class to SM2 I won't be joining and your losing a newb to beat up on. Update this thread on how this goes, as Im out of the loop with you guys. SM is trying to lose the exciting factor I am coming over for...Don't do it..Makes the series less attractive.

Of course thats my .02 cents....Im not racing this series yet so what do I know right.

--------------------
Ryan Schuster

Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: