Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Road Atlanta July SARRC weekend

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Road Atlanta July SARRC weekend
Flow Bench Verified Driver

Region: Southeast
Car #: 4
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Flow Bench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought the weekend went well and the SM2 guys had fun. Not sure I noticed a real improvement in turnout though. The weather held nicely until just after the SM SARRC #2 race sunday when all hell broke loose. Thanks to all the SM drivers and the fun weekend. Big kudos to Dave Colledge who won the SARRC 1 race and swapped lead with me no less than 5 times. Good clean race Dave! And to Mark Pombo who I had a great run with in the PRO IT; Too bad Fletcher bumped you to 3rd for stickers... Can he really do that? Well, at least I gave you the correct trophy back. Thanks for showing up and making it interesting. And also fun running with George Fusner; good run for a newer driver on a technical course like RA. If I remembered how to downshift from 5 to 4 in T1 maybe I'd have won something this weekend! Great to hang with Skip, Phil, Willie, Jason, Michael H, Tom Fowler and the OPM gang. Good times!

--------------------
----------------------------------
Craig Foster #4 Atlanta Region SM Champion 2009, 2010
Delainey Motorsport, LLC
Farnbacher - OPM - East Street Auto - Rogaine

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sorry I missed this one

Cragi - what were the results for R1 and R2

Damn Mr College - you really are on form this year

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Found results on MyLaps

Saturdays Race
1 Dave Colledge
2 Craig Foster
3 Mike Cottrell
4 George Fusner
5 Karl Fischer SM2
6 Skip Brock
7 Robert Spence
8 Jacob Sellers SM2
9 Michael Hartberger
10 Philip Safriet

Sundays Race
1 George Fusner
2 Craig Foster
3 Mike Cottrell
4 Dave Colledge
5 Michael Hartberger
6 Jacob Sellers SM2
7 Rick Gambill SM2
8 Stephen Figura
9 Philip Safriet
10 James Stroud SM2

Congrats to George - so great to see new faces on the top step of the podium. Congrats to all

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Anyone with more insight as to how the SM2 played out?

Did it make for more enjoyment for the SM2 drivers? Hopefully Fisher and Sellers will post their thoughts from the weekend.

Did car counts go up from the previous SARRC? (although this was a Dbl SARRC wknd). Butch and Jim will feed back I am sure.

Did we see older cars that havent raced in some time or put out to retirement, make a comeback this weekend? If so how many? And are they planning to come back if teh SM2 class continues? Hopefully Bill will reply here

Examining times on Mylaps:-

Fischer 1.6 gets him 3rd fastest lap time on Saturday and Sellers had the 8th fastest time. They in fact finished 5th and 8th respectively in the combined class.

On Sunday - Fisher and Sellers get the 5th and 7th fastest times, and 6th, 7th and 10th were SM2 cars in the combined class.

Not sure we can deduce anything from this......

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Butch Kummer

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Not sure we can deduce anything from this......
I agree it's too early to tell.

2009:
Sat - 26 SM, 4 SSM = 30 total
Sun - 23 SM, 2 SSM = 25 total

2010:
Sat - 17 SM, 13 SM2, 0 SSM = 30 total
Sun - 14 SM, 12 SM2, 0 SSM = 26 total

I asked at the Driver's meeting if there were any SM2 drivers that wouldn't have come if we didn't offer the class. No one raised their hand, but I got the same response when I asked if any SM drivers stayed home because we offered SM2. [Big Grin]

A number of people did come up over the course of the weekend to thank us for creating the class and said they "thought it made things more fun". I certainly welcome comments from both sides of the discussion.

BTW (and on a subject related to this only because you guys think we don't listen), you guys will have your own run group at the Barber Double SARRC. Group 5 each day will be SM, SM2, and SSM only, so you naysayers will have to come up with a new reason to (threaten to) boycott Atlanta Region events. I'll remind you of this when we open registration for that weekend...

Butch

--------------------
Atlanta Region Asst. RE, Competition Director

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not that it matters or anyone cares but we did not come up specifically because of SM2 (yes I am a SM2 hater) [Smile] . I do not know how people could claim SM2 made it more fun for them as they were racing against the same cars as they always did. It certainly was better for their egos but that is about it. The real reason for formulating SM2 was to increase car counts and that appears not to have happened. Barber will be a different story because many of us will come just to run the track; which intern will increase the car counts regardless of SM2.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Butch Kummer:
BTW (and on a subject related to this only because you guys think we don't listen), you guys will have your own run group at the Barber Double SARRC.

Looks like I picked a good weekend for my one-and-only SM race weekend this year! Now if we can get rid of those SSMs... [Big Grin] [Smash] [duck]

Thanks for advocating for us, Butch. Now it is up to us to register en masse, behave AND put on a great show!!

Butch Kummer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Butch Kummer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
Not that it matters or anyone cares but we did not come up specifically because of SM2 (yes I am a SM2 hater) [Smile] . I do not know how people could claim SM2 made it more fun for them as they were racing against the same cars as they always did. It certainly was better for their egos but that is about it. The real reason for formulating SM2 was to increase car counts and that appears not to have happened. Barber will be a different story because many of us will come just to run the track; which intern will increase the car counts regardless of SM2.

I don't believe I've actually met you Jamie, but what I find interesting about your comments is you are primarily a National racer and SM2 doesn't affect the National races at ALL! In fact, it doesn't even affect SARRC because SM2 is not a SARRC class!!!

I see where you've come to all our Road Atlanta National weekends for (at least) the last two years plus you attended (at least) the 2009 ARRC by GRM. I certainly appreciate that support of our events, but you didn't attend our July 2009 event so how much weight can I put on your "we woulda been there if you hadn't whizzed in my Wheaties" statement? In fact, you've not gone outside Florida this year for a SARRC race. Given that, why are you hating on SM2 so much?

We've been running Barber since 2008, so I expect the "newness factor" to have a minimal affect on any increase in participation. There are two changes that I expect will have more impact on participation: first, we've removed the "you break it you bought it" clause about the guardrail (SCCA insurance covers it) and second, we should be covered up with SSB & SCC drivers since they don't have to race with YOU guys! [Smile]

All this points out that it's quite difficult to determine what effect any one thing has on participation levels. All we can really do is track the entry counts, listen to the participants, and try things that might make it a more pleasant weekend for the most number of people.

Oh yeah, and "thank you for your input"... [Big Grin]

BK

--------------------

Yup one race weekend doesnt show anything conclusive - you need to see a trend.

I personally dont think that SM2 will work BUT I have an open mind

If it in fact does attract more cars that have been parked for some time, then its a winner. If it creates more fun for the SM2 drivers its a winner. And if the additional trophies make the drivers happier, then its a winner.

BUT if it doesnt attract more drivers, bring cars out of retirement and boost the 1.6 SM numbers, then in my opinion its just a class dilution, and once again, in my opinion, class dilution is what makes for so many boring races in SCCA club racing.

Sure you can increase the TOTAL weekend car count by having 200 indiviual classes with 2 cars in each class, each guaranteed to get a trophy, but in the long term that will definitely have a negative impact on the excitment and enjoyment of racing and that in turn will eventually lead to smaller fields - just a thought....

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Butch Kummer

Yes, we need to see if SM2 brings garage queens and/or newbies out to play to determine if it's successful.

I never said this before, but SM2 is not at all unlike IT-7. There were a ton of first-gen RX7's running ITA that felt they were no longer competitive when the fuel-injected Hondas were allowed in the class. Some said they could still be competitive if they worked hard enough, but a bunch of guys stayed at home because they (a) didn't want to work that hard or (b) didn't believe they had a shot in hell of getting back to the front regardless of how hard they worked. There was much the same gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair when IT-7 was first suggested (our RE at the time was adamantly against it and was out-voted by his Board). If you look at the trends since, IT-7 has thrived and ITA has never been stronger. And if you have a first-gen RX7 and WANT to badly enough, you can still run ITA with it!

As you said before, it's too early to tell anything definitive...

BK

--------------------

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

If my 97 car isnt competive next week at St Louis, I am running it in SM2 at Barber [Big Grin] [Wink] I am actually running the 97 there regardless as 99 is on blocks until Runoffs. Are we all still running early cars at this event? I am for sure.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm not going to jump into the SM/SM 2 discussion because from the SARRC stand point, it really does not matter. SARRC still gets the $5 per entry for the trophy fund for the non SARRC class cars.

What I did want to comment on was the fact that Atlanta Region is going to provide the SM drivers with their own run group for Barber.

Now, it is up to the SM drivers to show that this is what they want all Regions to do and the best way to show it is by entering the races at Barber.

With a high entry number, I will be able to make a presentation to the Division that SM get their own run group especially at the major races.

Last year at Barber, there was 31 (29 SM/2 SSM) for day #1 and 30 (29/1SSM) for day # 2. We can start 50 plus cars at Barber. I would think a full field of cars would be the best argument for a SM only run group in 2011

The same holds true for the SIC. Almost all the top SEDiv officials will be at the SIC so another 50 car field would be great. If they see a full field, it will be easy to move the other classes from the run grouping.

Don't forget, you must enter a minimum of 3 SARRC races in order to attend the SIC. There is also a Double SARRC at Sebring in August and a Double SARRC at Homestead in September

Hope to see all of you at Barber.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:

I don't believe I've actually met you Jamie, but what I find interesting about your comments is you are primarily a National racer and SM2 doesn't affect the National races at ALL! In fact, it doesn't even affect SARRC because SM2 is not a SARRC class!!!

I see where you've come to all our Road Atlanta National weekends for (at least) the last two years plus you attended (at least) the 2009 ARRC by GRM. I certainly appreciate that support of our events, but you didn't attend our July 2009 event so how much weight can I put on your "we woulda been there if you hadn't whizzed in my Wheaties" statement? In fact, you've not gone outside Florida this year for a SARRC race. Given that, why are you hating on SM2 so much?

We've been running Barber since 2008, so I expect the "newness factor" to have a minimal affect on any increase in participation. There are two changes that I expect will have more impact on participation: first, we've removed the "you break it you bought it" clause about the guardrail (SCCA insurance covers it) and second, we should be covered up with SSB & SCC drivers since they don't have to race with YOU guys! [Smile]

All this points out that it's quite difficult to determine what effect any one thing has on participation levels. All we can really do is track the entry counts, listen to the participants, and try things that might make it a more pleasant weekend for the most number of people.

Oh yeah, and "thank you for your input"... [Big Grin]

BK

Butch I have met you but thats ok I am easy to forget [Big Grin] And no I am not primarly a National driver. In fact I drive every chance I can regardless if it is a regional, Sarrc, or National; which really does not mater since it is our class as a whole that will be hurt by SM2 (in my opinion). As far as not attending your 2009 event all I can say is, What??. For one there are many races that go on in the summer not just those in Atlanta. However we have supported the Atlanta region on many different occasions. I am very outspoken when I see an issue that needs to be addressed so please don't take it personal! There is no bases for SM2 other than the political powers of the region decided that it was a good idea after discussing the issue with drivers that would never be competitive in any Miata. I am not trying to bust your chops on this issue; just voicing an opinion and trying to back it up with my cars. If my view becomes the minority position than so be it. I will still be racing SM and coming to Atlanta.
Thanks for your input as well [Wink]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Butch Kummer

And I guess the major point that we disagree upon is whether SM2 will hurt SM overall. I agree that giving the '97- drivers another option could possibly reduce the number drivers in the SM class, but I wonder how many of those guys you are actually competing with now? I'm sure it's great to say you finished tenth in a 30 car class, but is it any less great to say you finished eighth in a 20 car class? And while you might have 30 cars in the class, are you really racing against more than five or six of them (the three immediately ahead that have no clue and the two you're blocking the crap out of? [Wink] ).

And just so you know, the REAL reason I/we invented SM2 was to give GTA a chance to be the biggest class in Atlanta Region! [Smile] We had twelve this past Saturday so by splitting SM we get closer to the top (of course we pissed off a couple of those guys when we actually checked to make sure they were running the correct tires on Sunday - "Good God, man, you mean you expect us to follow the rules, too? I'm never coming back here and I'll tell all my buddies to stay away as well!")

The bottom line on SM2 is whether or not it brings guys to the track that wouldn't be there otherwise. The participation counts at one event will not provide that answer.

See y'all at Barber in a month and a half...

Butch

--------------------

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dont want to interrupt here, but are we running SM, SM1, SM2, SM-X, SM-T?? At Barber? I have been looking forward to Barber all year, so what r we doing? What class is SM-Down on power?

How does it work with the SM, SM2 and SSM all in one group, is it 1 green flag? Split starts since SM2 is not racing against SM, I just want to understand before a group of 12 of us make the trip?

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Butch Kummer

Barber Run Groups (unofficial since we don't have the sanction numbers yet):

Group 1 - Pro-IT (IT7, ITA, ITB, ITS, ITT, ITX, ISM)
Group 2 - CF, F5, F6, FF, FST, FV
Group 3 - IT7, ITA, ITR, ITS, SP2, SP3
Group 4 - EP, GT3, GTL, SPU, SRF, T2, T3
Group 5 - SM, SM2, SSM
Group 6 - FP, HP, ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, STU
Group 7 - ASR, CSR, DSR, FA, FB, FC, FE, FM, FS, S2
Group 8 - AS, GT1, GT2, GTA, ITO, SPO, ST, STO, T1

No split start in Group 5. Probably the only one we'd consider a split start (if enough SRFs show up) is Group 4).

And as I wrote once before, my car doesn't really care what letters are on the side. If there's a SPO car in front of me I'm gonna do my best to get by it. I might be a bit more motivated if it happens to be a GTA car and I'm racing for position, but if the sucker's holding me up I'm going by regardless of what class s/he is in.

I'll start another thread when registration for the weekend is open...

Butch

--------------------

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
And I guess the major point that we disagree upon is whether SM2 will hurt SM overall. I agree that giving the '97- drivers another option could possibly reduce the number drivers in the SM class, but I wonder how many of those guys you are actually competing with now? I'm sure it's great to say you finished tenth in a 30 car class, but is it any less great to say you finished eighth in a 20 car class? And while you might have 30 cars in the class, are you really racing against more than five or six of them (the three immediately ahead that have no clue and the two you're blocking the crap out of? [Wink] ).
I agree! We will just have to see how it goes in the future. Either way it is not going to effect my winnings money. [Big Grin] See you next month at Barber!
JT
And just so you know, the REAL reason I/we invented SM2 was to give GTA a chance to be the biggest class in Atlanta Region! [Smile] We had twelve this past Saturday so by splitting SM we get closer to the top (of course we pissed off a couple of those guys when we actually checked to make sure they were running the correct tires on Sunday - "Good God, man, you mean you expect us to follow the rules, too? I'm never coming back here and I'll tell all my buddies to stay away as well!")

The bottom line on SM2 is whether or not it brings guys to the track that wouldn't be there otherwise. The participation counts at one event will not provide that answer.

See y'all at Barber in a month and a half...

Butch

See you at Barber!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The view from turn 5:

Lots of good racing and for the first time in awhile I only had to write up 1 incident... and nothin from the SM group. The Foster and Colledge show Saturday was GREAT, 15 laps of back and forth.. thats why I keep comin back. Frankly it was rather quiet, a few spins/slides/airborne incidents through the gravel trap but we only had a couple of writeups and none from y'all.

Speakin of da old man, gotta congratulate him for a brilliant race Saturday, I was very much impressed.

After reading this thread I am now lookin forward to Barber.. Funkyhair Devinney, Cliffy Chains and the gang of 12, Tucker, the fake JD, Danny, Brockodile and OPM's finest (ok "finest" maybe stretching it a bit)... Lette.. you bringing jello shots?

I hope to be working all 3 days at Barber, as always alcohol donations are accepted at the end of the day.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

410Lite

Car #: 6 and 06
Year : 1991 and 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 410Lite     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

All I can say is what a great weekend of racing! I really enjoyed both races. On saturday I made a misstake in 10a and misjudged my speed which made me use the grass line for 10b, lost the draft to Foster and Colledge and missed out on a chance to challenge for the lead. Sundays race was awesome, I as well had tranny issues and lost time to Foster b/c of it. Fosters tranny whoops just cost him more time. Great fun racing regardless. I really have to thank Bob Thornton for getting my engine back together so fast to enable me to run this past weekend, huge props. I hope to see all you guys again at Barber!

--------------------
George Fusner SM#6 and 06
Sponsors:
Race Engineering
Thanks Bob for all your help and wisdom.
Carbotech
Ray Helms Body Shop
Thanks for all the help, I couldn't do it without all of you guys.

Alex Gaines Verified Driver

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nicely done George. Keeping Race Engineering at the front!

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
2010 13 Hours of VIR Champions
Race Engineering

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
...Funkyhair Devinney...

Glass houses, flagger, glass houses. [Big Grin]

Brockodile

Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
[QB] The view from turn 5:

airborne incidents through the gravel trap

Coulda been me, Lance... but I believe I went OVER the gravel trap, rather than through it. Hard to drive through T5 while searching for the right gear. I did make a perfect 4-point landing, though. Had nagging trans trouble all weekend. Forced me to drop out of Sunday SARRC, but a really fun weekend nonetheless

Congrats to Dave C. and George F. Hey, Craig, once you learn to drive, you'll be fast just like those guys. Seriously, great result in the Pro-IT... even if you did need a little help from the Sticker Police.

Setup on the OPM '99 rental was spot-on and the new RE motor was strong enough to make up for most of my "operator errors". Thanks Tom and Bob.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

Jay Stroud

Car #: #7
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Stroud   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ran SM2. I had read Butch's post regarding the change and registered early. It sounded like a positive trial since I had a 96. A week before the event I came back to the forum and saw all the controversy. To me it doesn't matter either way. It was fun knowing there were different guys to chase but in the end, I'm still looking at the overall group placement to see how far my lap times are off of the top 5.

I'm just here to improve. Thanks to OPM and a little seat time we've been able to get the car from dead last my first time at Road Atlanta in a full body car to a top 10. There's room for more improvement. I only race when the car is not rented and I have cash to pay for it so for me it won't matter the grouping. Right now that's about 2-3 double regionals a year at tracks in or close to Atlanta. I learned a lot this past weekend, met some other drivers and had fun doing some tight, yet clean racing. So...the grouping is not keeping me at home but rather finances.

Plus...now that I'm moving towards the front I'm getting to experience all the other controversies I read on here firsthand! (ie. hot fuel on the grid - I've never been so lightheaded at the start of a race until this weekend!)

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to all. [thumbsup] See everyone at Barber.

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Stroud:

Plus...now that I'm moving towards the front I'm getting to experience all the other controversies I read on here firsthand! (ie. hot fuel on the grid - I've never been so lightheaded at the start of a race until this weekend!)

People were on fuel at a SARRC weekend? Seriously?

ARRC 2010 Champ

I doubt it but anything is possible!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I walked the grid everyday and did not smell anything but anything is possible. All 12 cars under the OPM tent were POG including the Pro-It winner and Sat SARRC winner and 2nd in both SARRC's. Congrats to all the OPM drivers we had a great showing.

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

Jay Stroud

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Stroud   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Guys...relax.....I'm not accusing anyone of anything...nor do I care if it's being used. Wasn't OPM cars b/c I wasn't close to them although I was trying to catch'em. Could have even been the left over aroma from the GT1 cars in Group 2. Just stirring the puddin a little. Like I said...great racing the whole weekend by the entire SM field.

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I've never been so lightheaded at the start of a race until this weekend!

Fowler walking across the grid..is probably what made you sick......................oh you said lightheaded [boggled] didn't you ?

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Jay Stroud

I never thought of that but you're probably right. You guys at the OPM trailer are probably just acclimated to it. Fortunately I was sweating so much lightheadedness never made it to sickness! ;-)

Jay Stroud

Does anyone know what happened to the lime green 07 sitting on the left-hand side of the backstretch towards the end of the race on Sunday?

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Does anyone know what happened to the lime green 07 sitting on the left-hand side of the backstretch towards the end of the race on Sunday?

Lost oil pressure.It sucks because Karl and I were having a good race up until then

Karl hasn't had much luck with that motor - super clean car, but needs a better motor program.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Karl Fischer Verified Driver

Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Karl Fischer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Another new engine this past weekend that I was forced to "break in" during the qualifying sessions for the SARRC and ProIT races. Right away it had what appeared to be a minor oil leak but the oil level was fine after each session. I guess that after 17 laps in the ProIT enough had leaked out that turns 6 and 7 were long and right-handed enough to starve the engine of oil as Mike and I exited 7. The warning lights came on, the car slowed and I shut it off. I'm not sure how much damage it sustained and won't be able to check.

Of course I don't think following Mike and drafting off him for several laps helped as my water temps climbed above 210 deg but I don't think it should have been enough to kill the engine.

Unfortunately that was probably my last race for the forseeable future since I'm moving to California and don't have the facilities to take the car with me or replace another dead engine.

I was great racing and hanging out with you all. Look me up if you're ever in SoCal, especially if you're racing!

Karl Fischer
07 "Kermit"

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good Luck Karl, I still remember you showing me the line the first time at Road Atlanta a few years back.

Thanks,
George Munson [thumbsup]

Damn Karl
really sorry to hear that you are leaving the SEDiv. Had some really fun races with you. WHat are you planning to do with your lovely 1.6?

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Flow Bench   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Karl Fischer:

Unfortunately that was probably my last race for the forseeable future since I'm moving to California and don't have the facilities to take the car with me or replace another dead engine.

I was great racing and hanging out with you all. Look me up if you're ever in SoCal, especially if you're racing!

Karl Fischer
07 "Kermit"

Great to have you out for the SARRC again Karl and I also am sad to see you going left coast. I am however a bit jealous. And I'm also wondering what you will do with your 1.6? I might be interested in a SM2 car for grins! [Cool] PM me if you decide to sell.

--------------------
Delainey Motorsport, LLC

Oh and btw, I'm quite sure no one in the OPM tent was using fuel. I'm not sure but if anyone was running fuel the results would not have justified it!

--------------------
Delainey Motorsport, LLC

Craig - I got first dibs on Karls car!!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

SteveJ Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SteveJ     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay, I'll admit to it. I was using fuel. But I won't ever use it again. It turned the inside of my trunk pink! [Big Grin]

Brockodile

Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:

Danny-- Karl's blinding lime green paint scheme is a little understated for you, but a good yellow, orange and blue flame job should fix that! You'll need a new suit, though.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SteveJ:
Okay, I'll admit to it. I was using fuel. But I won't ever use it again. It turned the inside of my trunk pink! [Big Grin]

Itturned my whole car pink! [rolling on floor laughin]

jellbob55

Region: Cenla
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jellbob55     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had a great time as usual at the SARRC July weekend. Thanks OPM Tom for doing a quickie front end setup after a camber bolt came loose in Sat qualifying.
Question: Does anyone know who hit me in the Sunday SM race at turn 7 (mine was car #17 silver w/blue roof)? Never saw him. The way my passenger door/rocker panel are crunched, I figure someone lost grip and slid the front end. I still finished on the lead lap, assessing the damage & repair now.

--------------------
Lucky Pierre Racing

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brockodile:
quote:

You'll need a new suit, though.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [Smile]

Rob May Verified Driver
Racecar ho

Region: 83 (CFR)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob May     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Wait a minute, I get first dibs!

--------------------
Rob May

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob May:
quote:

I thought you were a big cheese who only drove porshees and bimmeers ?

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by OPM AUTOSPORTS INC:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob May:
quote:

I thought you were a big cheese who only drove porshees and bimmeers ?
more like a slice of swiss cheese, or stick cheese ...
can drive the heck outta a race car ...
[thumbsup]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: