Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Barber SARRC ProIT - RUNOFFS LITE

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Barber SARRC ProIT - RUNOFFS LITE
Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow
53 cars here for the double SARRC and PROIT race. Looks like the Runoffs Lite

Qualifying was intense

Buras 1.47.895
Brown 1.47.972
Charbonneau 1.48.165
Steyn 1.48.298
Labounty 1.48.584
Sparks 1.48.740
Tucker 1.48.817
Drago 1.48 927
Bize 1,49.999
and then another 11 drivers under 1.50 - WOW

Pretty stellar field!!!!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

see you tomorrow

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So what happened in the SARRC race today? Congrats to Todd Buras (good thing for others he isn't going to the runoffs) for the win!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buras had a great race, first with Cliffie Brown and then with Jeffy Labounty. Was fun to watch. Todd just kept hitting his marks and stayed a couple of car lengths ahead for the entire race.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What happened with your DNF?

--------------------
Paul McLester

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:

This race was to just check out he work we did to the car after the Watkins Glen shunt. Car seems to be good. Started from the back to avoid any contact (maybe not such bright idea in retrospect) and ran 5 laps until I lost 3rd gear.

Bolanos also started from the back and moved all the way up to 9th spot - one hell of a drive.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Many of us broke transmissions in the race; including Danny. Mine broke when the green flag came out! There were 5 transmissions that failed in the race which might be an all time high. Although that was the least of my problems as my weekend started by hitting the wall on the out lap of the test day. Not one of my better moments but it did provide a lot of entertainment for the others. Besides tearing the wall up, pancaking the side of my car, blowing out both taillights, sending my windshield wipers over the fence, breaking my motor mounts, and not being able to turn my head to the right it has been fun up here.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep the updates coming, I sure wish I was there. Good Luck to all of you.

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So let me get this right, 1.6's finished one-two against some of the strongest 99's in the country?

We really need to slow those 1.6s down. [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

--------------------
Paul McLester

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:

See above

[ 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Danny Steyn ]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

I double posted by accident? Sounds like a tough weekend for several people. Note to self....take extra transmission to Barber next year!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Nsparks Verified Driver

Region: Gulf Coast
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nsparks     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great weekend! Clean racing.

+1 on the extra tranny.

Also, I found a few puddles of bright green coolant scattered around the paddock and a spot on grid. I don't believe it came from a Miata but we should all keep an eye out for that to prevent possible accidents. [nope]

--------------------
2009 TMC East coast Champion.
Spec Miata-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_Dt-omsbc

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got back a little while ago. Gotta say hats off to the SM group... LOTS of great racing with very little contact. Good, hard, clean racing. You guys really put on a show, thanks!

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Sunday - ProIT

Cliffie Brown, Jamie and myself were out on Hoosiers. Lovely for this track. Buras was on RA-1's. I started on inside of front row and led the field for the first few corners, then Charbonneau (in ITS Miata) and Matt Reppert (ITS BMW) got by. I was able to hang with them for the first ten laps as Charbonneau's car was handling badly and slowing Matt in the corners allowing me to catch. Cliffie and Todd had their hands full with David Kim in the ITS 240Z, and that allowed me to gap them.

Charbonneau's throttle cable came off and allowed Matt past and he opened a 5 second lead on me. I finished 2nd, Todd 3rd and Cliffie 4th.

Very happy with the car - seems to be good for the Runoffs - was able to break my ISM lap record set last year - ran a 1.47.385 (more than .5 second under the previous record)

Congrats to Tom, Ryan and Mike and the entire OPM team for the excellent work in getting this car back to the form we are used to.

Sunday - SARRC

Back on Ra-1s for the SARRC's. I qualified on pole with a 1.47.893. Cliffie 2nd, Todd 3rd, Nathan Sparks 4th, Jeffy 5th, Alex B 6th, Jamie 7th, Andrew (in his spare SM) 8th, Chris Topping 9th, Skip Brock 10th. Mike Cottrell 11th - TOP 11 Cars within 1 second!!! For some reason no qualifying time for Drago in his spare car (or Pat Sandlin for tht matter). Mark Pombo was breaking in a new engine and motored around in 28th place (that has to be a first!!)

At the start Cliffie got past into turn 1, and led the first three laps, then Buras got past me into 2nd place and made the pass on Cliffie in the hairpin. Todd led Cliffie, me and then a bit further behind Alex, Jeffy, Nathan and Jamie were scrapping it out.

Todd was really under control, but Cliffie was sliding like a wildman, and that allowed Alex to close on us. Alex passed me and had a great race with Cliffie for several laps. I hung back out of trouble and watched the fun times ahead. Todd was opening a good gap on Alex and Cliffie. Eventually Alex got by and started opening a gap over Cliffie.

Behind us Jeffy, Nathan and Jamie closed fast and got by me. Never been happier to finish 6th!

Apart from the trannie, car is good to go.

As to the weekend, what a tremendous field with over 53 SM cars entered. Todd Buras was the class of the field winning both SARRC's. He is very precise and smooth. Good to have him back in SM!!

In the end there was almost zerosheet metal damage at the front of the field with some very clean and resepectful racing by all, but further down there was a bit more contact. A few cars were torn up and there were several tranny failures.

But once again Barber is a stunning SM track. So much fun, always busy, and the best looking track environment you have ever been to.

If you are reading this post and you werent there, make sure you are there next year. This event is getting better each year.

[ 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Danny Steyn ]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fun place, lots of good people who also happen to be very fast. Pat and I were sorting our cars in runoffs trim, mine was a new car that had some minor teething issues, but nothing major and will be good to go in a few weeks at Road America. I managed 4th on Saturday until fuel starting cutting every lap at the hairpin and fell to sixth. Pats car is very good and will be finish higher than many expect at the big dance. I would add him to your dark horse list.

As for Sunday qualifying...maybe we should read the schedule [Smile] We incorrectly assumed that if we go there at 8:55 we would have plenty of time for group 5???????? NOT! You guys were on track as we pulled into the paddock [Big Grin] Oh well. We even got missed the start Sunday. When the leaders were on under the flag stand, Pat and I were in the middle of the back straight? For some reason they held us at grid and I guess pace lap was also very fast? I was "flat out, because thats the way I drive, FLAT OUT" from turn two and never caught up, never passed a car until lap 2.

Hopefully the track day humor skit with "Panty Stain" and Jeff Labounty will surface here at some point. Very funny stuff.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Runoffs Trim... Different Aero Package I take it from Barber with downforce at a premium.

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Awesome weekend! What a great facility, can't wait to go back. Hopefully next time I'll make sure that my transponder is working before qualifying =( The drive from last to 9th on Saturday was fun (and a bit treacherous) but Sunday was a blast duking it out with the boys upfront.

Congrats to Buras on the wins, I had a bit more pace at the end but he just doesn't put a wheel wrong. Interesting that 3 "SM2" cars were in the top 10 all weekend... imagine that.

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

HMMMM [scratchchin]
Well, there were a few cars that "seemed" to have quite a bit more HP than ours cars? We must just be a little behind? [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bolanos:
Interesting that 3 "SM2" cars were in the top 10 all weekend... imagine that.

And won both days in car that MANY say can't compete [Wink]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Which three SM2 cars where in the top 10 all weekend?

Now if you said three SM2 cars were in the top 30 all weekend I'd agree.

I think the best finish for a SM2 was 19th

Administrator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also gotta thank Todd for the donuts in the morning, they went over rather well... imagine that! Also some great driving, good to see you back out again.

--------------------

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh sorry...your talking cars that could have been in SM2.

Congrats to Todd.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by -Bob-:
Oh sorry...your talking cars that could have been in SM2.

Congrats to Todd.

Correct. Charb in a 1.8, Labounty in a 1.6, and Burass [Wink] in a 1.6....

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

More like the top 5!!! And for any doubters out there I can tell you that Labounty is putting out less than 119HP. Lots of elevation changes at Barber and the 1.6 and 1.8s were right there at the end. Saturday SARRC 1st 1.6, 2nd 1.6, 3rd 99, 4th 1.8, 5th 99
Sunday SARRC 1st 1.6, 2nd 99, 3rd 99, 4th 99, 5th 1.6
3rd through 7th came across the line less than a two seconds apart and we had a great race to the end.
Danny won the Pro-IT in his 99 with a 1.6 second.
I think everyone in the top 10 would agree that the cars are very close. The SMAC and BOD has done a very good job at getting these cars very close.
Thanks!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ditto Danny's comments about Barber as the ultimate SM track. Technical and busy, rewarding good technique, but also requiring serious courage to pick up the last few tenths, with blind hills and many apexes invisible until after turn-in. Watched Danny's video of his record lap as he went flat through the blind falling left-hander at the end of the back straight. 100+ mph. Talk about Panty Stains... not for the faint of heart.

Thumbs-up to Steve D. for stepping out of his European taxicab and back into his Asian chick car. He and I enjoyed some great door-to-door racing in the Pro-IT.

My OPM rental and RE engine were spot-on - and that's a good thing, considering the depth of the field. I was happy to qualify 10th on Sunday with less than one second between my time and pole. Great drivers ahead and behind. This event should be on every SM driver's calendar.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Danny for setting the new track record at a 1.47.3 which was only .2 off of
Andrew Von overall ITS Pole at a 1.47.1

You all better watch out for Danny as he is going to “Bring it” to the run offs.

Shout out to Stu and BSI for the great track support all weekend. It was good to be back.
Come on by BSI; Stu is a much happier guy. Smile everyone smiles.

Thank you to Mike Cs wife and Ken for not killing me after our little adventure [Wink] Sounds Kinky

The corner workers were great, if not for you guys we all could not play.

Nice run Alex, watch out; he is coming.

Great facility, tough track, great competitors and even better racing. Jamies post got it right, everone needs two cars for different tracks around the country.

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

MegaModerator

Hopefully those who signed up for SM2 realize they have issues other than their version of SM. I really dont agree with splintering the class at all. I think the results speak for themselves as far as the "need" for the class at all. I just don't see the sense of accomplishment winning in SM2, seems like a shallow victory IMO. ( I dont even know who won, not an attack on any one person, just the idea in general)

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One more thing "Sponsor Shout out"

Hope everyone enjoyed the pipping hot fresh 60 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts that were delivered to the track Sunday morning. Shout out Birmingham Krispy Kreme.

[thumbsup] [yep] [Wink] [Big Grin] [rockband] [rockband] [rockband]

And Trqmate for getting me a working unit!!!!

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

Todd
KK Rules! Thanks buddy for the donuts
And thanks for the big hugs for Kimmie too!!! She still has a big smile today!!!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Hopefully those who signed up for SM2 realize they have issues other than their version of SM. I really dont agree with splintering the class at all. I think the results speak for themselves as far as the "need" for the class at all. I just don't see the sense of accomplishment winning in SM2, seems like a shallow victory IMO. ( I dont even know who won, not an attack on anyone person, just the idea in general)

Jim

Word. [thumbsup]

Chris Topping

Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Topping     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great weekend!!! Congrats to Todd Buras on winning both SARRC race. Congrats to Danny for setting a new track record. It was nice to be back at the race track after not racing for about a year. It was also nice to meet all the people that I hear so much about on the forum like Jim Drago, Jamie Tucker, Andrew Von Charbonneau, Todd Buras and so on. My weekend was good with an 8th on Saturday and a 9th on Sunday. Barber Motor Sports Park is an awesome facility to be able to go race at and I can't wait to go back. Big thanks to Bob Thorton for the amazing power that he gives me. Todd thanks for the donuts. Another big thanks goes to Mr. Pink for help me out with some parts that I needed. Look forward to seeing everyone in the near future. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Chris Topping
CT Motorsports,Race Engineering, OPM Autosports

Chris Topping

Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Topping     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks to Tom & Tim at OPM for helping me out with a camber bolt that I needed.

--------------------
Chris Topping
CT Motorsports,Race Engineering, OPM Autosports

Steve D. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Once you get past the gag reflex, the jelly ain't bad!

Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve D.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brockodile:
Thumbs-up to Steve D. for stepping out of his European taxicab and back into his Asian chick car. He and I enjoyed some great door-to-door racing in the Pro-IT.

Back at 'cha, Skip! That was one of the most enjoyable races I've had in a long time. The whole weekend was great, actually. Next time we need to talk before the race because I didn't realize I was supposed to roll over and give you the spot when you ducked inside at the end of the back straight. [Big Grin]

Sunday qualifying - top 22 cars within 2.1 seconds? Yup, that's SM racing. I had a great time somewhere mid-pack all weekend. I was doing pretty well Sunday until I decided to join Cottrell and 1 other in a "sympathy spin" in Turn 1.

The short results from Sunday? I beat Mark Pombo, Drago, Sandlin, and Cottrell. Let's not get bogged down in the details of how. [Wink]

After 14 months out of the Miata it was a pleasure to be back on track with y'all and in the paddock with the OPM gang.

And Buras is right, Stu was actually smiling! Probably still thinking about the goober we saw at the convenience store down the road dressed in full racing gear including Cool Shirt at 7 am. [rolling on floor laughin]

I told you - my suit is Orange - Orange damnit - get it right!

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
I told you - my suit is Orange - Orange damnit - get it right!

I couldn't tell what color it was, all I saw was danny steyn and dannysteyn.com [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I liked your new suit, but I didn't see your name anywhere on it????

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

[rolling on floor laughin] Har de friggin har!!!! [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

darmstrong Verified Driver

Region: sediv
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for darmstrong     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a quick question concerning Barber's for next year. I am a decent mid-packer, with no other aspirations than to have as much fun as possible. I have done a number of DE's at Barber in my 944 turbo when my son was at Auburn, as it was a great reason to drive down and see him. I absolutely love the track, and would love to try in in my SM. Considering the number of Runoff contenders that use this as a tune up, what is the general opinion of crowd as to us non-contenders participating. As best as I could tell, this was a Regional, not a National event (I only have as of right now a Regional license), but I can't get a feel for how many racers such as myself participated.

Thanks,

Dave
Raleigh,NC
SM #66

Administrator

Dave... Please come out and play, you will be welcomed and will find someone to race. It is a regional as is the Pro-IT so your license won't be an issue.

--------------------

Here's a trackside video of the Race 2 T1 crash, you can see why we call my cousin Air Nick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcD7QNSqGNk

CarbonRacer

Region: Florida
Car #: 31
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CarbonRacer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks CUZ for keeping it on the down low.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: