Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » SARRC Invitational Challenge/ECR Finale (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: SARRC Invitational Challenge/ECR Finale
panic motorsports Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: SCR
Car #: 90
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for panic motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Big Panic shout out to Alex Gaines, your new SARRC Champion! Way to go all!

--------------------
Steve and Becca Bertok
#90 SM 2008/2009 Carolina Cup Pro Series SM champions.
2010 VIR 13 hour enduro victorious! www.panicmotorsports.com
Need a salvage Miata part? We've got that!

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations Alex!!!!!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CONGRATS ALEX G.!!!!!!!!!!! By a whisker, that was my prediction!

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
CONGRATS ALEX G.!!!!!!!!!!! By a whisker, that was my prediction!

You weren't talking about the race? [Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Glenn Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Race, championship, does it matter! Congrats also to Alex B and Tod. But they will not be wearing the RED jacket this fall.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice job Alex!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Alex on winning the Championship! SM is probably the only class where you need to come to the season finale race with 6 wins to win the SARRC, isn't that why we race miatas? =)

The race was definitely one for the books, I worked with Todd to make sure that we (the field) didn't have the same issues at the start from last year (bunching up, 7 wide at the stripe, etc) and it went flawlessly. Side by side in to 1, Todd infront by turn 4 and I tucked in behind for a few laps to break away from the field.

After we stretched a nice lead we duked it out, I led for about 5 laps before the balance of the car started to fade to oversteer. Todd drove a fantastic race, VERY few mistakes and he definitely had a car towards the end. After a few opposite lock Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson style moments I decided to back it down a notch and bring her home.

I'll try and post some videos of the side by side action tonight.

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to all, sounds like a great time for sure. [thumbsup]

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Alex Gaines on your SARRC Championship, close points race this year, I think you won by 2 points over Alex B.

Great Job by the whole SARRC series. Each event I attended was great, and the SIC each year is the icing on the cake, if you have never made the trip, make the effort next year, it is well worth it.

Enjoy the Championship Alex, 2011 SARRC season starts this weekend at Sebring Short, care to come and play in the CFR region?

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy Chains:
Congrats to Alex Gaines on your SARRC Championship, close points race this year, I think you won by 2 points over Alex B.

+1
another congrats to both the Alex's;
Gaines for the SM Championship and Bolanos for the great race with T. Bee to finish 2nd.
Let's also not overlook von Charbie's win, he 'brings it' for the major races, fighting tooth and nail with the original 'Van' for the ITS win in the Miata.
[thumbsup] to all.
Sarrc is where i'll be next year.

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This weekend was why SM is such a popular class. 30 cars, close side by side racing, no man drama, no damaged cars and sharing a beer afterward. We had a blast.
Congrats to the OPM drivers in the Sat ECR.
1st Roger Burdette
2nd Gary Giles
3rd Pete Bogart
4th Alan Cross
And now when Cliffy says down on power 1.6 I finally believe him. Sorry to see you go early.
Congrats to Alex for the championship it was a pleasure working with you this wknd.
Congrats to Todd on the win.
Congrats to Alex B for 2nd in the championship and 2nd in the race. I've got to get some buttons back you have 2 now.
I had a blast, only the 2nd SARRC race I ran in this year. Special matched set of tires in Qual 1 were a bad idea. Had a great race with Alex G, Fusner and Dennis Bize, damn youngsters had no respect. Nose to tail side by side for 10-15 laps, it was great.I squeezed Dennis in 5 sorry but went off at exit to make up for it. In the end Creighton will only have to give out 2 buttons.
Thanks to RE power, mine and most under the tent were great all wknd.
Traqmate - 7 laptops open all wknd, we use it we love it.
Thanks to the OPM drivers, great showing and great cook out Friday night, good food, good drinks, good friends.
Come on GD I got a car with your name on it.
Who will get their button next year ?

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

nick Verified Driver

Region: 003
Car #: 08
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for nick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to OPM--good job and nice people! Nick

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to all
Especially to Alex G for the championship - have to be strong all year to take it home. Great drive by Todd Buras - doesnt even show for test day but still stands on the top step of the podium - the definition of a "wheel-man". Great job Alex B for 2nd place. Yup I think the weight of the 99 at this track starts to catch you mid way through the race and then its really tough to stay with a well prepped well driven 1.6.

Congrats to all the OPM drivers for the great result.

Sorry about your engine Cliffy.

But a special congrats to the SM Class for a great championship finale without the DRAMA.

Drive it hard, fast, own your line, but still give the guy next to you some room, and guess what, all return home with no trips to the body shop. Just the way we like it.

SM is the class to race!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That Video of Fowler at VIR in the rain he showed me Sat, still as me all screwed up....

Next year I will be taking home one of those buttons, I will be sitting out the Enduro to make sure of it!!!

SM is a class by itself, just look at our National Champ Von C, or our SE Div Champ Gaines in the picture on page 1, what you don't see is on the Back of the RE black shirt it says:

DannySteyn.com [Eek!]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Jim Creighton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Creighton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As I left the race track at Greenville Pickens Speedway in Easley, SC at 11 PM Saturday night and after working a 16 hour day at the ProCup race, I asked myself what was wrong with me. I was about to drive 286 miles with the GPS telling me my arrival time at Roebling Road was estimated at 3:26 AM.

Then, after seeing the grid for the Spec Miata race Sunday morning and seeing that Fowler was qualified 8th, I knew I had to get to the grid and deliver words of encouragement, discuss race tactics and maybe even let the air out of some tires of the 7 cars in front of him.

However, I knew all was well when I got to the grid and saw Fowler and all the 7 drivers qualified in front of him standing around talking while all those who had qualified behind him were buckled in their cars well before the 5 minute warning.

The thought of having to buy 7 " I Beat Fowler" buttons was almost more than I could take. But, I was relieved to see Fowler was busy working the crowd before the race. It worked!

As a result, I will only be buying 2, that is 2, " I Beat Fowler" buttons this year. And, after great consideration, I have decided those buttons will be presented at the SEDiv Awards Banquet along with all the other Division Awards in January. And the Awards will be personally presented bynone other than Tom Fowler with assistance from the CEO of SCCA.

As has been the case for thee past 5 years, the Spec Miata race was the best race of the SIC. And, I have the extreme pleasure of announcing that Todd Buras was selected as the 2010 recipient of the Jim Fitzgerald Award. This award is selected by the Stewards for the best winning drive at the SIC. This is SARRC's highest Award and will also be presented at the SEDiv Awards Banquet.

The Banquet will be held on the weekend of January 22nd, 2011 at the Oceanside Inn & Suites at Jekyll Island, Ga. Many of you ask me if we would again be holding a Spec Miata seminar like we did last year. We will and it will be much bigger than last year. I will be posting information about it shortly.

Toni says we got to go eat now. Thanks to all of you for supporting SARRC in 2010.

PS The 2011 season starts this weekend at Sebring and continues the next weekend at VIR.

--------------------
Jim Creighton
SARRC Administrator

Hotshoe

Region: NCR
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Hotshoe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Creighton:

I have the extreme pleasure of announcing that Todd Buras was selected as the 2010 recipient of the Jim Fitzgerald Award. This award is selected by the Stewards for the best winning drive at the SIC. This is SARRC's highest Award and will also be presented at the SEDiv Awards Banquet.

...Congratulations, for the second time Todd.... I remember the first time you received the award back in 2002....Way To Go [thumbsup]

Glenn Verified Driver

Congrats Tod, very impressive! hope to be at the banquet this year to see the buttons be given out.

--------------------
Glenn

Alex Gaines Verified Driver

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 77
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Gaines   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all the kinds words [Smile] . I had a blast this weekend and congratulations to Todd for the win and the big award. A big shout out to OPM who took care of my car all weekend and for my new hero Bev from Bevtech who actually fixed the electrical gremlin I have been chasing all year. OPM is top notch and Tom made my weekend a breeze. Last but not least I want to thank Bob at Race Engineering for all his support this year. I could not have done it without him. And I cant forget my wife, she was there for me all year. [Smile]

--------------------
2010 SARRC Champion
2010 13 Hours of VIR Champions
Race Engineering

Frog

Region: Buccaneer #34
Car #: 52
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frog   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Alex on your Championship...well deserved! Great weekend of racing with no major oops by the SM drivers. Big shout out to all The OPM gang..Roger, Gary, Pete & Alan in the ECR. And let's not forget The Legendary om Fowler's SARRC podium!

Great fun, friends & frivolity! Can't wait to do it all again soon!

--------------------
Lette-O
Celtic Racing #52
Buccaneer Region ITB Champ 2006,2007,2008,2009

Gary Giles Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gary Giles     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Alex Gaines on the SARRC Championship and Todd Buras on the SIC win and special award. I heard it was a great battle between Todd and Alex B. And to Tom Fowler for showing that you can get the senior citizens iced tea discount at Wendy's and still wheel a race car. Also to Roger on the ECR win. (Did Roger win the ECR championship? Reading the rules, it says a driver must run 3 races. Roger had 3 if you include the finale and ended up with the most points by my calculations.)

A great time under the OPM tent as always hanging out with Jason, Laura, Skip, Brenda, Lette, Dave, Pete, Mickey, Alan, Roger, and Alex. Pino, the gelato was awesome Friday night. A lot of fun, clean racing in the middle of the pack. Ran with 5-7 guys vying for 9th-15th and had a blast. We all took turns trying to knock Skip out of 9th, but he would storm back each time. He drove a great race.

Thanks to the whole OPM crew for being spot on all weekend and to Ron and Willie for the radio help. Thanks to Race Engineering for the strong motor. And congrats to Willie on the podium finish in ITA.

--------------------
“Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.” ~~ Mark Twain

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was the Operating Steward for the SM race at the SIC. What a show you guys put on! The class act of the weekend for sure. Congrats to Todd for the win and the Jim Fitzgerald award. Both well deserved. Alex B you and Todd provided us with some of the cleanest closest racing seen this year. We had an excellent view from the tower. It's almost a shame that both of you couldn't have crossed the finish line in a dead heat. Alex Gaines,congratulations for your SARRC Championship win in SM. Tom Fowler proved once again that old age and trechery can out duel youth and exuberance. Thanks to all of the SM drivers for running a clean, safe and exciting race. You made my job as Steward easy and enjoyable.
Capt.John

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to Todd on the Fitzy award, that is really cool and well deserved.

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Car #: 6
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Alex G and Todd for SARRC-related achievements, including beating Fowler. Congrats Roger and all the OPM guys (Gary, Pete and Alan) for the podium sweep, plus one, in the ECR.

Thanks to Tom, Tim, Andrew and Beeev of OPM for great car and Race Engineering for great motor.

A quick shout-out to Giles, Sellers, Colledge and Thompson who took turns making runs at me: good, clean fun and it was anybody's spot; more lucky than good that I held on. I melted ten pounds of ice in my cool box, you guys put so much heat on me. [Eek!]

Now, I can't resist joining the parity discussion which now has seeped from the runoffs thread into this one. Todd won in a 1.6. Alex B. was second in a 99, but had fastest lap. Fowler was third in his rental 1.6. If I correctly recall who was driving what, the top 10 was half 1.6's and half 99's; however, spots six through ten were occupied by 99's, so it looks like it was a 1.6 day. This proves nothing, but it does lend support to the argument that, under current rules, the 1.6 may actually be the overdog on flat, flowing tracks like RR (note Alex B.'s reference to tires going away late in the race: 99 weight penalty), whereas the advantage goes to the 99's torque on hilly tracks, especially those with uphill straights, like the two RA's. IMO, that's about as close as it can get between two inherently different models. Kudos to the SMAC.

In fact, with the models so close and the advantage now apparently track-specific, the guys willing to spend the big bucks may need to build and maintain TWO cars: a 1.6 and a 99. I rent from OPM and thus have the option. Unfortunately, I can't get within 50 pounds of minimum weight in the 1.6. Otherwise, I'd be in it at RR and CMP and maybe Barber. How would I look if I lost 50 pounds? Like Fowler? [laughing]

Looking forward to 2011. Let's race!

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats Mr. Gaines on winning the overall SARRC Championship! You have proven once and for all that you don't have to blow your kids college fund in order to have a winning season in these cars. Although, perhaps dropping a few bucks on some yellow bird power didn't hurt [Smile]

Well done sir.... I can't wait to take credit for your skills in our VIR 13hr entry at the end of month!

I'm also looking forward to the new and "improved" reduced calorie version of Brockadile in his 1.6L flat tracker. Fowler must have a 13" seat for you packed away in a warehouse somewhere, right?

Hope to see y'all at the CCPS finale at the VIR Goblins Go!

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brockodile:

Now, I can't resist joining the parity discussion which now has seeped from the runoffs thread into this one. Todd won in a 1.6. Alex B. was second in a 99, but had fastest lap. Fowler was third in his rental 1.6. If I correctly recall who was driving what, the top 10 was half 1.6's and half 99's; however, spots six through ten were occupied by 99's, so it looks like it was a 1.6 day. This proves nothing, but it does lend support to the argument that, under current rules, the 1.6 may actually be the overdog on flat, flowing tracks like RR (note Alex B.'s reference to tires going away late in the race: 99 weight penalty), whereas the advantage goes to the 99's torque on hilly tracks, especially those with uphill straights, like the two RA's. IMO, that's about as close as it can get between two inherently different models. Kudos to the SMAC.

In fact, with the models so close and the advantage now apparently track-specific, the guys willing to spend the big bucks may need to build and maintain TWO cars: a 1.6 and a 99. I rent from OPM and thus have the option.

Just to add a few bits, I am always faster in Cliffys 1.6 at Roebling than any other 1.8/99 that I've driven there and would choose a 1.6 for that track any day. On flat tracks parity is fine, if we add something to the 1.6 for hilly tracks then they will dominate in FL and Roebling.

At the Roebling National earlier in the year driving Cliff's '99 and now again at the SIC in my own '99 I just could not keep the tires under the car towards the end of the race. Time to go into the lab and slave over data and video to figure out how to set the car up and adjust my line accordingly to compensate for the weight.

I think it can be done although I wish it was as easy as just driving the snot out of the 1.6... [fight]

Hotshoe

Region: NCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Hotshoe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brockodile:
A quick shout-out to Giles, Sellers, Colledge and Thompson who took turns making runs at me: good, clean fun and it was anybody's spot; more lucky than good that I held on. I melted ten pounds of ice in my cool box, you guys put so much heat on me.

Brock,

... Enjoyed racing with you this season and I'm looking forward to 2011. The SIC was a blast. The shower through turns 3 and 5 would have felt better in the car seeing that the water was from the cool box [laughing]

... I didn't have anything for you, I was just hanging on. My car was down on power (fuel injector was leaking) and it was all I could do to keep up. But the racing was clean, and it was fun to see some of the guys slide off trying to take a shot at you or hold you off. I counted three times you put the pressure on just to see them slide off in front of you.... Now Thats Fun [thumbsup]

....Till Next Time....

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would like to thank the Stuards of meet for such nice things to say about the SM community. SM has taken may lumps over the years but this was one for the record books.
Another thank you goes to Alex B, he ran me clean, hard and fast. We went door to door from turn one to turn four at least five times.

SM could not win such a reward without outstanding competitors through out the field. So Congratulations SM!

Thanks to team BSI for such good car prep and companionship. It is good to see Stu happy before a race. All top tens!!

Tom, Alex and Alex; and all the competitors I met, I look forward to racing you all again soon.
OPM can you guys bring any more cars, you had half the field under your tent. I want my button.

Cliff 9500 hundred on the tach, not a good thing.
Thank you for all the kind words.
[thumbsup] [tipsy] [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Todd - Congrats on the Fitzgerald award.

Hey guys arent there any rules that preclude pros from returning to the amateur ranks...... think I am going to have to write my BOD. Damn - more letters!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: