Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Sebring Turkey Trot-Who plans on racing? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Sebring Turkey Trot-Who plans on racing?
Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

T1 slide at 90+ mph in a miata... [duck]

Steyn in T1 at the Trot 2010

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, Danny you only get a 9 on that one though... 1 point deduction for the position you lost. As always the score from the Chinese judge was thrown out.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alex... Timming & Scoring decides when the "flag" lap occurs in a timed race. They advise Control and the Operating Steward when this happens. The clock starts when the first car crosses the line and the AMB system gets a "hit". I doubt that there were two "extra" laps run by your group. In a perfect world the Checker flag would fly as the lead car passes the start/finish line 1 or 2 sec. after 30 min. The Stewards do set countdown timers to make sure things are in the ballpark; however T & S is the official keeper of the time.

The full course yellows weren't NASCAR "Competition" creations. The turn calls in with an issue and the Stewards will ask does the car need to be moved now and can it be done with a "Local" Yellow. If the answer is it needs to be moved now and we had heavy impact with wall chances are the only option is a "full course yellow". The Stewards in Control rely on the calls from the turns because much of the time we can't see what has happened in various parts of the track. I understand it is frustrating to have less than 30 min. of green flag racing as advertised; but with 50-60 car groups that may not always be possible. S%#@ Happens. There was some carnage this weekend, but nobody was hurt. That is always a concern. I hope you all had a fun weekend.

Capt. John

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I watched the finish and noticed that the checker was shown about 2 seconds after the lead Spec Miata guys passed the start/finish and realized that the lead car was actually the yellow SPU car. That caused the lead SM cars to go around an extra lap.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Capt John, my crew guy Tim Meeks gave me the "Last Lap" comms three times!!!!!! I believe the 30 minute race ran 36 minutes in total, but will check my data tonight

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy Chains:

Thanks for the vid, Cliffie

Ehhh - doesnt look nearly as scary as it does from my in-car video - will have to post when I get a chance.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
quote:

Thanks for the vid, Cliffie

Ehhh - doesnt look nearly as scary as it does from my in-car video - will have to post when I get a chance.

Whenever I see a video of our cars from the outside it looks like we are barely moving [Confused]
The only place I have ever watched where we actually look fast is going into t10 at the ARRC a few years ago.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny... When did your crew guy Tim start his time clock ? Just wonder if was the same as what T & S does. The yellow SPU car was the overall leader and was some distance ahead of the SM guys.
I wasn't operating that group but I was up in Control. Once again, in the perfect world, there would have been only SM's in that run group so less chance for confusion.

Capt. John

Tim starts the clock when the first car crosses the S/F line for the start.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

TaxMan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Willing to trade tax advice for Miata parts...

Region: Florida Region
Car #: 7
SMIM: TaxMan
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TaxMan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Math to the rescue...

SM leaders cross at 29:40
STU leader crosses at 29:50
SM crosses at 32:20 (no checkered flag)
STU crosses at 32:25 (checkered flag)
SM crosses at 35:00 (checkered flag)

--------------------
Gary Jenkins
SEDIV Spec Miata Advisory Committe
AOL IM:PBLRacing

Cliffy Chains

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TaxMan:
Math to the rescue...

Probably a little bit of a lesson for some of us that run close on fuel, I know AB had 5 gallons - enough to run a 30 minute race - a pace and cool down and be on E at Sebring. He did't have enough to Run Pace, 35, and cool down.

All is well though me and AB exchanged early X-mas gifts,
He gave me new set of Studs and lug nuts, [fight]
I gave him a $5 gas card and new fuel jug. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TaxMan:
Math to the rescue...

Probably a little bit of a lesson for some of us that run close on fuel, I know AB had 5 gallons - enough to run a 30 minute race - a pace and cool down and be on E at Sebring. He did't have enough to Run Pace, 35, and cool down.

All is well though me and AB exchanged early X-mas gifts,
He gave me new set of Studs and lug nuts, [fight]
I gave him a $5 gas card and new fuel jug. [thumbsup]

Hah, I think I'm going to enact a new policy at Kid Bolanos Raft Racing... No more starting a race at less than a half tank [thumbsup]

P.S. Fix your damn iPhone!

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Alex
You were braking for turn one when Chip, Danny, and Andrew were coming out of 17. Don't think a coulple of extra gallons would have hurt you!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Cliffy Chains

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Alex
You were braking for turn one when Chip, Danny, and Andrew were coming out of 17. Don't think a coulple of extra gallons would have hurt you!

Most of the statement above is true, except the braking for T1 part, after looking at his data, the kid stopped braking for T1 and just lifted for a split second instead. Someone shold let him know the car does have a middle pedal

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The DOP 1.6s remove that pedal for weight

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Alex

Most of the statement above is true, except the braking for T1 part, after looking at his data, the kid stopped braking for T1 and just lifted for a split second instead. Someone shold let him know the car does have a middle pedal
Shhhhh [Wink]

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Bolanos:
quote:
quote:
Alex

Shhhhh [Wink]
You must be picking it up, I remember driving under you there twice last year in my Chipster 1.2 degree camber special [Big Grin] [duck] And I used the brakes [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Cliffy Chains

We are trying some new things in hope of getting in the 35's like the "Singapore Slingshot" did last year [Wink]

--------------------
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
We are trying some new things in hope of getting in the 35's like the "Singapore Slingshot" did last year [Wink]

Just take Chip's engine like I did [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: