Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Sebring - Closest Airport

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Sebring - Closest Airport
KachMiata

Region: Central
Car #: 80
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello my Southeast brethern,

I am from Chicago, but I will be heading south in January to run the national at Sebring. What is the closest major airport? Also, any reccomendation on places to stay around the track?

Last season was my first full year racing SM and it seemed like the SE guys were always the ones to beat. Looking forward to mixing it up with you guys.

TIA,
Jack

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jack,

There is a regional airport right next door to the track, but I am not sure about commercial flights in and out of there.

I think Tampa is the closest international airport that would have decent rates. Maybe Orlando or Ft Myers as well. Sebring is in the middle of nowhere, not much going on in that area as far as mass transit or big city life. Nice town though.

I always enjoy staying at the Chateau Elan, which is the hotel that overlooks the hairpin. I think it's awesome to wake up on race day and look out the window onto the track, but be sure to ask for a room on that side of the hotel (balcony room).

I would also recommend the bar/restaurant inside the Inn on the Lakes Hotel about 15 minutes away from the track, it's called Chicanes and has some cool racing heritage going on in the bar. There are plenty of other favorites among the racers though, so hopefully more will offer there advice.

Have fun! The Florida crew are the ones to beat, especially at Sebring. The locals are very fast and have been racing there forever, so be prepared to be humbled! I know I am every time I race against them!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Orlando and Tampa are equally as close (far) to Sebring. Marriott Residence Inn is great, Inn on the Lake, or the Sheraton Four Points-Chateau Élan if you want to be at the track and don't mind spending a little more than the others.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John A - 5X Racing:

Have fun! The Florida crew are the ones to beat, especially at Sebring. The locals are very fast and have been racing there forever, so be prepared to be humbled! I know I am every time I race against them!

I seem to remember an intruder running pretty well there last year? [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:

They consider you one of theirs already. Anyone who's fast must come from the SE or in your case the Far East.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:

Sorry Blake but you and Drago are part of the SE! Don't fight it, thats just how it is. You get no special props for running well as that is expected.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah Blake, I don't think you were considered an intruder for long. You are now part of the wolfpack (shameless Hangover reference, I know)!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

KachMiata

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the info guys. I am looking forward to racing with you guys. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the test day, but if anyone is willing to share some tips for running a miata at Sebring it would be much appreciated. I will be in the gray #80.

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by KachMiata:
if anyone is willing to share some tips for running a miata at Sebring it would be much appreciated.

Kach

here is the video or my Sebring lap record at the 2009 Turkey Trot running a 2.36.915 in cool weather. Note that it was run with Hoosiers and it has since been broken. Chip Van Vurst took another 13/1000ths off and holds the record at 2.36.898

Danny Steyn - Nov 99 - Sebring Lap Record - 2.36.915

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by KachMiata:
Thanks for the info guys. I am looking forward to racing with you guys. Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the test day, but if anyone is willing to share some tips for running a miata at Sebring it would be much appreciated. I will be in the gray #80.

Torque your lugs after each session [Big Grin]

And run plenty of fuel [thumbsup]

Sebring is alot of "slow in fast out" corners, Your on the gas way before most every apex there. T1 & T17 seperate the smart and not so, [Eek!] the rest of the course is mostly slower 3rd gear turns.

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

KachMiata

Thanks Cliffy, but what are lugs?

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lug nuts.....that way they don't come off in turn 17! Also, do not buy orange bling aluminum lug nuts to make your wheels look prettier! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Paul McLester

KachMiata

Apparently, my sacasm font wasn't working.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: