Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Winter natonals and Fuel

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Winter natonals and Fuel
Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about Fuel...

Do I need to order and bring to Florida? Less a collection to protest the winners fuel on both days, it is cheaper and easier for us to just run fuel. It is a long expensive trip and last year people ran fuel at the front. Don't feel like dealing with that again.

Lets make a plan, or don't be upset when we run fuel. I would rather run pump gas if all plan on running it.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim - what does it cost to protest just Fuel - get SCCA to impound top 5 and pull samples and send for testing.

If this cost is reasonable to do this, then I suggest that we all pool together and have the protest fee ready and we tell everyone that this is whats going to happen.

No need to run expensive fuel IMO

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny
I agree, but also no need to spend $4000 plus to attend race and miss work to be down 3 hp to the guys you plan on racing?

$250 a car

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So 5 cars = $1250 - If say top 10 guys kick in 125 each, thats a lot less than $30/gal x 12 gallons = $360 for both races.

Who wants to pool protest fees and kick in $125 to keep the SM field honest - add your name to the list.
1. Danny Steyn

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would rather spend $400 on protests than $250 on fuel, count me in.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am bringing 5 cars, I do not have room for fuel in the trailer.

You guys better sign up to run POG

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can tell you that none of the Autotechniks cars (SW FL) are running fuel. I will have 2 cars (maybe 3 if White Belt shows up) and would be happy to add money to the pot. Let me know how much per car and I will kick in accordingly.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Danny
I agree, but also no need to spend $4000 plus to attend race and miss work to be down 3 hp to the guys you plan on racing?

+1

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got two cars coming and running whatever the local brand gas is.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

So far it appears the pool list (@$125 per racer) includes
1.Steyn
2. Bolanos
3. Tucker

Obviously if we get more than 10 we can reduce the amount we contribute or extend the protest beyond the top 5 to include a couple of randoms

I also suggest that we have a designated "sniffer" (or team of sniffers) who patrol the pre-grid. And in the spirit of keeping uneccessary costs out of racing - each driver revs the car with the sniffer close by. Questionable cars get added to the protest list.

how does this fly with the group?

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about ECU's? Rear Diffusers?

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

Danny
Some other issues to think about:

1)Check with chief steward in advance or they will not have enough test kits to do more than a few. I would notify him/her of your intentions in advance

2) What if there is a legal fuel that is better?Protest doesnt work? The protest doesnt serve the purpose and just costs time and money?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Every time I think about running Nationals on a serious basis, I read these kind of threads and remember, "Oh yea, I choose to run SM because it's fun".
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:

ECUs have been largely nullified by the open timing and fuel pressure changes as you know, they're undetectable and only worth ~1hp now. Good riddance.

As for diffusers, the Autotechnik wind tunnel is still undergoing preliminary testing (using Chip's blonde hair flips) and will not be ready for muffler testing until at least 2015.... [Wink]

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Diffuser mufflers will be OK for 2011 but the latest Fastrack has their wings clipped for 2012 it looks like.

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

JD

sounds as though you know something the community doesnt. Are you saying that the additions made to the additives to be tested, will not be caught?

Are you saying that there are ERC / SR12 / other formulations that you are aware of that will pass the test as rewitten? This would be helpful for the community to know in advance.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

Danny
I do not know that for certain yet, but I expect that to be the case if not now, real soon.
The fuel testing is and always will be a cat and mouse game. The fuel companies make their living selling fuel. So each time we (CRB)take at a swipe at tightening up the rules, the fuel companies redesign the fuel, each time the gains are smaller and the prices are more expensive. The goal is to make the gains so little and so expensive that it is not worth the cost. At the same time, not risking cars running pump gas to be found non compliant. IMO, the rule can't get any tighter without doing just that. So we are at spot now where hopefully the gains of legal fuel will be so mimimal that none of us care if competitors run it. Not sure we are there yet though?
Send letters in for Sprints to be spec fuel now... That is not a possibility at every other race.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

mat pombo Verified Driver

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 01
Year : '90 & '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Without a spec fuel in the supps you can test away. No way to toss a "legal fuel per SCCA specs" that has been blended to be legal by those rules. The reason it works so well at the big event is the tracer and an actual spec to compare to. See if SEDIV will add the spec 93 track fuel to all supps for SM national racing. Would be great if they would do it as you will have a spec fuel to protest against.

See ya with and without. No need to drive all the way down with a knife, if it turns into a gun fight. Right Jim?

If what Jim and Mat are saying is correct then I guess its a gun fight for all.

So then, because we are so F'n DUMB, that we as a group cannot agree to NOT cheat, now we are all going to run $30/gallon fuel

We deserve what we get - we are our own worst enemy - we are driving the costs up for no other reason than we do not trust our fellow competitors.

Wouldnt it be nice if we all agreed to run POG??

Ahhhh ........ the ideal world - what a utopian existence. Guess we live in the real world!

Xcuse my rant - business is way off - no money to burn on $30/gallon fuel

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

MegaModerator

Danny
I think we can and hopefully will pull it off at Sebring? But long term, not sure we can? I hope so?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
I can tell you that none of the Autotechniks cars (SW FL) are running fuel. I will have 2 cars (maybe 3 if White Belt shows up) and would be happy to add money to the pot. Let me know how much per car and I will kick in accordingly.

Just wanted to reiterate this, AT cars will not be on gas...

Have fun Mat/Jim, if we catch you you'll never hear the end of it [Wink]

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mat pombo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not saying we will run it. Just saying we will have it in case. I've been running this series for 10 yrs now and I'm not coming to a race this far unprepared. If I smell it in someone's car or if my eyes burn behind someone, then game on. I've been promised this before on this forum only to be disappointed when I came to the track.

I am all for pump fuel and intend on running it, but I will not travel this far to be the only one on POG.

Mat

ARRC 2010 Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will not be running it regardless of what the others show up with (and I believe the same goes for all the AT cars) If that puts us down 4 hp then so be it; we will just have to work the draft a little more. Sorry but the line has to be drawn somewhere and for me it is fuel.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

MegaModerator

quote:
If that puts us down 4 hp then so be it; we will just have to work the draft a little more.

4 down on fuel... Then your still you up 2 on most if us? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

tburas Verified Driver Series Champ
SM

Region: 003
Car #: 56
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

POG [thumbsup]

Guys running non POG [flamed] [nope] [fight]

--------------------
[URL=http://www.toddburas.com]
//East Street Auto//Traqmate//SafeRacer//

SM

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tburas   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let’s learn form the old regime set up in the early twelfth century by POPE JD!!!
This was graciously donated from the SM archives; Thanks Peter…

The Southern SM Spanish inquisition differed from the Northern Inquisitions in two main regards: targeting NON POGers and flexing control over all SM converters.
In Spain, the targets were Non POG user (Muslims) and not (Jews) POGers who had converted to SM.
The Spanish Inquisition was set up and reported to the SM monarchy; although they did first seek the authorization of Pope Jim Drago (Sixtus IV) to do so.

(JDs) Pope Innocent's crusade resulted in a bloody war between the POG nobility of northern France and those users of NON POG of the south. After the (NON POGERS) southern nobility were defeated, Pope Jimmy ordered AutoTechnics (sp) ; James Tucker leader of the Dominicans, an order of friars, to carry out the Inquisition. The general attitude of the inquisitors was that the heresy could only be eradicated in one of two ways: the heretic must either renounce his NON POG use and be converted to the "true" POG faith, or die! (Daniel Steyn’s) method of execution for unrepentant NON POG users was to be burned at the stake with NON POG Fuels so everyone could feel the burning of the eyes behind the NON POG users. Also is was a better accelerant and burned hotter.

--------------------

Just so everyone knows. We have run POG for every event we have ever run. We've smelled it a lot in the SEDIV over the last few years and have always remained competitive. However, I am tired of being down due to fuel and I will be prepared from now on.

Not saying we are running it, but we are just prepared to.

I'm glad everyone on here has said they are running POG as that is what we hope to do all season as well.

I just do not see a way to tech it unless we spec a fuel, or all truly do agree to run POG and police ourselves which has proven hard to do in the past.

mat

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:
Just so everyone knows. We have run POG for every event we have ever run. We've smelled it a lot in the SEDIV over the last few years and have always remained competitive. However, I am tired of being down due to fuel and I will be prepared from now on.

I'm glad everyone on here has said they are running POG as that is what we hope to do all season as well.

I just do not see a way to tech it unless we spec a fuel, or all truly do agree to run POG and police ourselves which has proven hard to do in the past.

mat

[rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Capt. John

Region: FL.
Car #: # 27 ITA
Year : 1986
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Capt. John     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be the Chm.SOM at Sebring and Leland Miller will be the Chief Steward. We will have enough Fuel testing kits to handle any Protests
that may be filed. The protest fee is $50.00 and the bond is $250.00 EACH from the Protestor and the driver or Entrant who is Protested. Win the protest get your bond back...Loose the Protest loose your bond. The samples will be collected as prescribed by GCR 9.3.26 and sent to the Lab for analysis. The results for the SM group will be on "Hold" until a report is sent to the CS or Chm.SOM,on the test results. This would not be concluded prior to Homestead in the case of Sebring.

I will be the Chief Steward at Homestead and Bob Horansky will be the Chm. SOM. The same proceedure will be used there also. If someone is found guilty of using illegal fuel they will be subject to the penalties as outlined in the lastest edition of the Guidelines on penalties as issued to the Stewards.

As far as requireing competitors to use gas purchased at the Track I don't know what Sebring has available; but I think HST only has 101 octane. which probably not workfor the SM. Any of you who would like to discuss this issue with me please feel free to PM me. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and I'll see you all at the races.

Capt. John

[laughing]

Mute point.... Had to withdraw due to scheduling conflict. This is a vintage event. What I mean by that is 50 car fields like the good ol days. Wish we could have made it as you guys are gonna have fun.

Good luck to all of you going and have a happy holidays.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mat pombo:

mat

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hope there is no pee test for todd buras

hes runing high sugar octane .

pombo and gas mybe onece on the dyno just to see

how much it is worth. [rolling on floor laughin]

mr von charbonneau

Region: 83
Car #: any
Year : any
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mr von charbonneau   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

jim has come up with a natural gas he dosent need hot fuel.

MegaModerator

Someone hire Maki to sniff gas caps?!

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Someone hire Maki to sniff gas caps?!

Blake are you coming down (or up) to Sebring? I hope so it would be a lot of fun having many of the best drivers in the country here! It is to bad Matt P won't make it but we should still have a real competitive field.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

MegaModerator

No Jamie, I'm going snowboarding in Japan. I'll catch you guys later in the year.

--------------------
Blake Clements

www.blakeclements.com

MegaModerator

looks like 44 already...
didnt see Sandlin,Chip,Jeffy,Charbs or Chains... Should be 50 plus

1 Manuel Dasilva Red 1999 Mazda Miata RRP
2 Jim Drago white/green 1999 Mazda Miata east street racing/Saferacer
6 Michael Rossini Red 1999 Mazda Miata RRP
7 Dennis Bize Black 1999 Mazda Miata BSI RACING - CAVINYC.COM
8 Selin Rollan White 1999 Mazda Miata Rollan Plumbing
11 Voytek Burdzy Black 1999 Mazda Miata Advanced autosports
13 Erik Brumme Purple 1999 Mazda Miata BSI RACING
19 Mickey Snow Silver and Black 1990 Mazda Miata Snow Enterprises
29 Craig Berry Black/Green 1999 Mazda Miata US Granite
34 Steve Lewis GREEN 1995 MAZDA MIATA STEVE LEWIS SUBARU
35 Kip Vansteenburg silver 1999 Mazda Miata ISC Racing
39 Danny Steyn Blue / Graphite / Orange 1999 Mazda Miata Adept Studios / Rossini Engines / Traqmate / OPM Autosports
40 David Pintaric Silver 1999 Mazda Miata Kryderacing/Carbotec/WRP Investments
46 Alex Bize Black 1999 Mazda Miata BSI RACING - CAVI Clothing
50 Charlie Lowrance Silver 1990 Mazda Miata Trackside Graphics
53 Adren Hance Iii Black/Red 1990 Mazda Miata Snap On
54 Bruce Andersen Black/Orange/Red 1999 Mazda Miata Senson Racing Group
56 Todd Buras Black 1996 Mazda Miata Rossini Race Engines, Traqmate, BSI Racing, KKD
57 Alex Bolanos Red 1999 Mazda Miata Autotechnik/Cuban Missile Racing/Race Engineering/Cliffy Chains Data Factory
60 John Peterson Silver 1999 Mazda Miata
61 Skip Brock Blue/White 2002 Mazda Miata OPM Motorsports
65 Brent Milner Blue/Silver 1999 Mazda Miata
71 Albert Naon Jr Black 1999 Mazda Miata
77 Ted Cahall Silver 1999 Mazda Miata Meathead Racing
80 John Kachadurian Gray 2000 Mazda Miata Fall-Line Motorsports
84 Daniel Moen Purple 1999 Mazda Miata OPM Autosports
85 Keith Hammitte Red 1991 Mazda Miata
86 Steve Kirouac Black 1999 Mazda Miata Big Sky Growers
87 Selin M. Rollan White 1999 Mazda Miata Rollan Plumbing
89 Nick Leverone Black/Blue/Orange 1999 Mazda Miata Flatout Motorpsorts, Inc.
91 Whitfield Gregg Blue/Orange 1994 Mazda Miata Flatout Motorsports
93 Chris Outzen Silver 1999 Mazda Miata iTrackZone.com
94 Denny Harrell White 1999 Mazda Miata Engine Trends Mobile Dyno, AutoTechniks, Miata Czar.com
95 Ken Payson black 1994 mazda miata Driven Performance, Red Line, Mazda, Toyo
97 Jamie Tucker White/Blue 1999 Mazda Miata Auto Techniks 1999 Miata Factory, Jeffy Boy Engines, Engine Trends Mobile Dyno
99 Charles Veth Blue/ Orange 1999 Mazda Miata CVM
0 Pax Lemmon Blue 1999 Mazda Miata BSI RACING, SEBRING DINER, Team Shocker
00 Ann Lamport Hammitte Blue/Black/Orange 1990 Mazda Miata FlatOut Motorsports
09 Randy Tauro green 1999 mazda miata
114 Amy Mills Black 1994 Mazda Miata Flatout Motorsports
127 Tom Brown Copper 1990 Mazda Miata Custom Wireless, Inc
131 Jon Farbman black-green 1999 Mazda Miata Drillmasters Marching Shoes
141 Gary Frierson red 1992 mazda miata G an A Inc
154 Bruce Andersen Ii Green 1999 Mazda Miata SenSon Racing Group
199 Carlos Serrano GREEN 1999 MAZDA MIATA

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

ARRC 2010 Champ

It should be a good time!!! Not to mention the extra side show that will happen

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

50 PLUS for a National!!!!!!! Amazing - shows what a great class combined with a desirable track can do.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

SM

Mr. Von
We will all be peeing high sugar octane if I have anything to say about it! [yep] [Big Grin]
DOUGHNUTS FOR ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT! Or you will be up all night at the bar singing karaoke with our SM National Champ...

--------------------

Mr. Pink
2006 ARRC winnner

Car #: 99
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mr. Pink     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man, I wish I could go.They need to seperate the two early nationals a little later from Christmas and New Years.I'm sure you guys will have fun.

MegaModerator

For all interested parties..
Some fuel testing news.

I tested the new 2011 legal fuel from a popular exotic fuel supplier today. It was $30 a gallon, bought 5 gallons. I did several A B B A tests and tuned up and down for the fuel.

The end result. Spec 93 from the Runoffs was +1.0 - 1.5 Hp over the new blend. A win for all I believe! [thumbsup]

You can all chip in $25 for my testing and report [Smile]

So in short, if you smell the "smell" or your eyes itch...Spend the $250 as they will not pass. [thumbsup]

JIM

[ 12-30-2010, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Drago ]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
Some fuel testing news.

I tested the new 2011 legal fuel from a popular exotic fuel supplier today. It was $30 a gallon, bought 5 gallons. I did several A B B A tests and tuned up and down for the fuel.

The end result. Spec 93 from the Runoffs was +1.0 - 1.5 Hp over the new blend. A win for all I believe! [thumbsup]

So in short, if you smell the "smell" or your eyes itch...Spend the $250 as they will not pass. [thumbsup]

JIM

Thanks Drago! What about left over fuel from last year; which I know is still around. Will that still pass?

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

MegaModerator

quote:
quote:
Some fuel testing news.

JIM

Thanks Drago! What about left over fuel from last year; which I know is still around. Will that still pass?
absolutely 100% no way!

IF YOU SMELL GAS AND IT IS LEGAL, YOU SHOULD BE PASSING THEM...

IF YOU SMELL GAS AND THEY ARE PULLING AWAY... PUT DOWN THE $250

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

ARRC 2010 Champ

quote:
quote:
quote:
Some fuel testing news.

JIM

absolutely 100% no way!

IF YOU SMELL GAS AND IT IS LEGAL, YOU SHOULD BE PASSING THEM...

IF YOU SMELL GAS AND THEY ARE PULLING AWAY... PUT DOWN THE $250

Thanks for doing the work big D!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: