Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA South-East » Best place to live in Florida?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best place to live in Florida?
NER88 Verified Driver

Region: ner
Car #: 88
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NER88     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OK after 59 winters in New England I'm done!
Currently looking/visiting the Tampa area.
Yup, I got out before the 15" of snow fell, not looking forward to going back!
So, someone give me some guidence, please! [help]

--------------------
Jerry

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

MIA.
Homestead Speedway 30 minutes drive
PBIR 1hr15 drive
Sebring 3hr30 drive
Daytona 5hr drive
Roebling 8th drive
You could easily find a track event or race every 2 weeks.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Orlando is in the center of everything and we have the best racing region in SCCA. Homestead and PBIR are fun the first time you race there.....Sebring (1.5 hr) and Daytona (45 min) can't be beat. Homestead is 4.5 hr and Roebling is 4 hr. Best selection of restaurants this side of Vegas. If you like the water, then St. Pete is hard to pass up. No offense to Cp and my other friends from Miami, but the traffic will kill you.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Funracer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Funracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, something on this forum I actually know something about! Lived in Miami 26 years. Great city but a huge place now with LOTS of people and traffic.

For maximum exposure to sun and ocean, try the Florida Keys. Do yourself a favor and rent a motorcycle or convertible and drive all the way to Key West from Miami. Each Key has a different vibe and real estate down there (and everywhere in FL in fact) is pretty reasonable.
There is that occasional hurricane thing tho to keep in mind.

Personally I prefer the Panhandle area - Destin, Pensacola- for the white sand beaches and great people. Reminds me of olde Florida.

If racing is high priority, take a look at the middle part of the state. You are a short drive to several FL tracks, between two oceans and close to many of the other attractions that Florida has to offer.

Florida has it all (except snow)! You just have to find an area that suits you and go for it.

Good Luck [thumbsup]

JC-MX5

Region: NASA Florida
Car #: 33
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JC-MX5   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Port St. Lucie is a nice place. It's mostly quiet and if you choose your home wisely likg I did, you'll be centrally located between everything you need. Plus it's not far from Daytona, Sebring or PBIR.

--------------------
Josh Chaney
Future Rookie/Build in progress...

Jim Blaisdell

Region: 83
Car #: 65
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Blaisdell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will have to agree with Paul (Gatoratty), Orlando is the most centrally located and has just about everything (except ocean).
I live in Tampa and like it's central location and closer to the ocean (Gulf of Mexico).
But, I've been most places in FL...and you really can't go wrong with anywhere...it's all good in FL.
Oh...my two fav. FL spots are St. Augustine and Sarasota...this is were people who live in FL go to vacation.

--------------------
Jim Blaisdell
NASA FL Spec Miata Series Director
5XRacing Team Driver

S. L. R.

Region: Florida
Car #: 87
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for S. L. R.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LAKE PLACID 10 min from SEBRING i have some vacant lots there PM me iff you are interested.

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I live east of Tampa (rural Hillsborough County), can be in the city for Major sports in less than 45 min (except for Baseball, that takes about an hour) about an hour and 15 min from the Gulf of Mexico. For the important stuff 90 minutes to Sebring and and two hours to Daytona.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The mouth of the rat with Von Charb [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

SAE113 Verified Driver

Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some more info would be helpfull. Are you retired or will you have to work? If you have to work then your ocupation may dictate where you'll want to move to. Are you looking for a more rural area or bigger city? Florida has everything and alot of good racing 11 months of the year(main reason i moved from long island to here) Stay away from Jacksonville!!

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hear Key West is FAB-U-LOUS [butthead]

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:

nobody got that one draggy;
[Razz]
i say "take your talent to SoBe" ...
take a walk on the wild side every nite of the week
[tipsy]

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
quote:

nobody got that one draggy;
[Razz]
i say "take your talent to SoBe" ...
take a walk on the wild side every nite of the week
[tipsy]

It sounds so much nicer in Spanish... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I HEARD CRAZY PEOPLE LIVE IN FORT MYERS? [Wink]

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Boca Rata?

guest driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Boca Rata?

"Rata" is mex speak, "Raton" is Queen Isabella proper speak ...
besides, who the heck wants to live anywhere near von Charbs?
[Smile]

guest driver

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
I HEARD CRAZY PEOPLE LIVE IN FORT MYERS? [Wink]

there are some non crazies ...
did you know that they have a trailer park just outside Ft Myers that is inhabited by midgets ?
only circus midgets live there, they like to ride in taxis ...
way cool place, stop by for a beer at their bar,
and i am NOT referring to anyone in particular on this board ... who also likes to ride around in a taxi except his taxi has wings on it and goes a lot faster than his spec miata ...
[Wink]

Learning all the time [Smile]

Guest, I humbly defer to your knowledge but isn't 'raton' Spanish for mouse? In this case literally "Mouse Mouth".

Of course everytime my wife sees a mouse she yells "RAT!", and I have to scrape myself off the ceiling imagining foot-long rodents.

Fun Florida facts: Florida may not get much (any?) snow but you know what they do have? BIG WEIRD REPTILES AND BUGS. My folks had a place south of Tampa for a while and the yard had the occasional rattlesnake. They also had to regularly exterminate what the locals euphemistically called 'palmetto bugs'. Don't kid yourself brother, they're GIANT COCKROACHES. Also, the tap water has a funny sulfur smell.

guest driver

Den; try this for "literally" ...
go outside right now in your bathing suit and take a swim in your pool, then lounge and catch some rays for an hour, then head down to Home eh stead to catch the final SM quallys ...
BTW, Lebron will return to the lineup on Saturday, new 14 game win streak begins again ...
jus sayin
[Razz]

What's Spanish for touche?

LeBron who?

guest driver

ask draggy, he's the one reaching out and touche ing folks on the racetrack ...
[duck]

"LeBron who"?
- some big kid full of tatoos frequently seen hangin with his posse at SoBe bars until the wee hours of the morning.
only thing that gets me is: he never pays for his drinks! dude has more money than everyone on this board put together and he can't pay a measly $2,000 bar tab? Bar owners always pick up his tab, will have to talk my way into his table the next time.
[Roll Eyes]

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Boca Raton

Mouth of the rat is a slang interpretation, as the early settlers- spanish explorers, used this as a description of the entrance to the port/inlet shape of the entry to the lagoon now know as lake boca. Which in modern times on most sunday is a party of boats rafting up and having fun.

The weather is here, the girls are all beautiful,
there is no snow on the ground, and we have 4 race tracks that race all year round.

Winter is the only time my checking account gets a breather.

WHERE'S MY LEBRON MONEY!!!

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let's not mislead our northern friends.
People move to Miami to enjoy the great life.
If you have lots of cash you move to Boca.
People who retire move to Naples
Those who retire from Naples move to Ft Myers/Tampa. Those who go to die move to the lake area, Lake Placid, Clewiston, easier to disperse the ashes in the lake. The exception those who move to Orlando to cling to their youth and/or grand children.
Nobody moves in or out of Jacksonville.
Talahassee is for politicians and college students.
Anywhere else not worth mentioning.

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How about the area north of west palm beach and south of daytona? Coast, stable military/nasa economy, 2 hours down to lauderdale, 1 hour to orlando. Like Melbourne, Palm Bay, etc. I have vacationed over there and liked it - kind of sleepy. Is it an ok area to live?

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

SAE113 Verified Driver

Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by l8tbreakr:
How about the area north of west palm beach and south of daytona? Coast, stable military/nasa economy, 2 hours down to lauderdale, 1 hour to orlando. Like Melbourne, Palm Bay, etc. I have vacationed over there and liked it - kind of sleepy. Is it an ok area to live?

Brevard County. Lived there for a bit and loved it.If I had my choice I'd move to Edgewater or New Smyrna Beach

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There are so many different types of places here, you have to give more info.

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

NASA Florida

Region: Florida Region of NASA
Car #: 711
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NASA Florida   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CAPE CORAL, Florida!

If you want affordable waterfront homes, how about a 3 bedroom, 2 bath waterfront home with a swimming pool and a 2-car garage for under $200,000?

1 hour and 20 minutes to Sebring International Raceway, 2 hours and 40 minutes to Palm Beach International Raceway, and 3 hours to Homestead Miami Speedway.

Live your dream and Run Your Car! Oh, by the way, can you tell I sell real estate also?

Steve Nix

NASA Florida

Region: Florida Region of NASA
Car #: 711
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NASA Florida   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh, I forgot to mention - Cape Coral is on the west coast of Florida, 120 miles south of Tampa, right next to Ft. Myers, and about 40 miles north of Naples.

Stable NASA economy? You must be referring to the National Auto Sport Association.

News item: an estimated 8,000 jobs will be lost with the expected end of the shuttle program next (2011) year.

I suggest visiting Florida in July or August and see if it's still for you.

By the way, how many people does it take to change a light bulb in Boca Raton...

Two. One to mix the drinks and one to summon the help.

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I lived in So. FL. for about 17 years or so. I lived in Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton and Delray Beach. I preferred Delray out of all of them. A sleepy little downtown area with lots of great restaurants and a great public beach area. I used to keep a Hobiecat at the south end of that beach and sail all over the area. Good commutes to most of the Fl. tracks, maybe a bit of a haul to RA....

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Weekend Warrior:
I lived in So. FL. for about 17 years or so.

That explains a lot! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
That explains a lot! [Big Grin]

but not all of it.....

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ok maybe NASA isn't stable right now you're right. Makes real estate a pretty good deal though.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DelRay is my choice. Beach town with a busy main street with great shops and trendy restaurants.

SSSSHHHHHH Keeping it a secret !!! [Big Grin]

Wish I was there right now. The weather on long Island Be LOWS ! [help]

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best way to find out is to come and run our race weekend at Daytona the first weekend in May and then go see some places and talk to the Florida people who will be there.

--------------------
Paul McLester

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Back in the 20's, a group of wall street tycoons searched up and down Florida to find the best location for a resort community. They settle on Ormond Beach, just north of Daytona. My Father had a home on a lot in that development on the inter coastal waterway, and it was fabulous. Great weather, nearby Daytona Beach and obviously, Daytona Raceway.

It's where I would live if in Florida. Who would want to live in the middle of a state totally surrounded by water, i.e. Orlando.

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

quote:
Who would want to live in the middle of a state totally surrounded by water, i.e. Orlando.
Mickey Raton?

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, all are GREAT places to live IF you want to be in Florida.

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Sarasota, Ft. Myers, all are GREAT places to live IF you want to be in Florida.

Born in Tampa, Moved to FT Myers, Cape Coral Area age 15.
From Bradenton to Naples is all really nice and right now inexpensive for the west coast.
There is also a "pretty good" SM builder in Cape Coral if your like the rest of us and need "Cosmetic adjustments" from time to time. [Smile]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: