Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Central » BHF 5/17-18

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: BHF 5/17-18
Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, thanks to all who put on a great weekend, definitely one of our favorite venues and the weather was fantastic, couldn't ask for anything more.

Congrats to Scheifler for the W!

I got helped off the track in T1, lap 1, and then red misted the worst I've ever done in my life. Apologies to all whom I may have terrorized during the race with my thuggish driving and/or conduct after. I'm usually not such an arse, honest. Just don't ask my wife. [banghead]

I left under the assumption after much flying paper that I put up a new track record. I didn't feel like standing around and waiting for official results and for what happened in T1 at the start of the race to be ruled as a racing incident so I just took off with one of the stewards' blessings. Hope I'm not DQed for leaving during an RFA! [duck]

Anyway, fun weekend with everyone up there again as always. Hope Mike didn't have to wait too long to get his camera back! Hope I can make it up for the sprints.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lots of fun. Qualified 6th, ran anywhere from 2nd to 8th, finished 4th.

Tom Sager led about the first half, and then things started to get interesting. Weise, Scheifler, Sager, Manning, Kanard, Kraft, Iglou and myself were all in the mix at one point or another.

Close racing, but in general I didn't think people behaved that badly, at least the ones I raced against.

Turn 1 lap 1 was a mess. I lost 2 spots, but I thought the start was the cause. We started going, then a big check up, then going. I was sitting right on the shift point between 2nd and 3rd, made the upshift, and then got caught low in the power band. Knew somebody was going to have trouble because it was a tight 3 wide in front of me, glad I was just hugging the inside.

A reminder to everyone to fill out your toyo forms. I think they pay some money down to 10th. Just send in the form to National this week, and you're covered for the rest of the year.

What's a Scheifler, and can you please tell "it" that I'm allowed 4 wheels on the racetrack, not just 2.

And Rich, don't sell yourself short. You might have terrorized yourself if you didn't make the save while going 4 off on the cooldown lap. [rolling on floor laughin] For the record, the track goes right after the backstraight kink, not straight.

[ 05-19-2008, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: backusm ]

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by backusm:
For the record, the track goes right after the backstraight kink, not straight.

That's my secret line, you weren't supposed to tell anyone!!!

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad you guys had a good weekend,BFR is a awesome place to race when the weather is nice.
Congrat's to Steve(dad,whats a Scheilfer)Scheifler.Only 16 for the Sprints so far so don't forget to register.

Dave V

--------------------
volante

volante Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Late fee applies after tuesday the 20th for the Sprints.

--------------------
volante

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

19 registered for the Sprints now.

Justin - I already straightened out the problem with my # I will be #28.

--------------------
Dave Cox

Tom Scheifler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Veteran Member

Region: MIDIV-STL
Car #: 28
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Scheifler   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Weise, Schiefler, Sager, Manning, Kanard, Kraft, Iglou and myself were all in the mix at one point or another.

What's a Scheifler, and can you please tell "it" that I'm allowed 4 wheels on the racetrack, not just 2.

One more spelling mistake on names, Bakcus, and you get an F.

And Steve would like you to post your comments regarding him on a site where he can post a response.

--------------------
http://www.plainoldgas.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Scheifler:
[QUOTE]
And Steve would like you to post your comments regarding him on a site where he can post a response.

Alias [group hug]

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great weekend, just wish I could have done a better job of reading the mind of the SM we lapped 11 laps into the race BEFORE I got in over my head trying to get past him.

To that driver: when you're going a lap down less than halfway through a national race, try to GTF out of the way on a straight next time instead of half a brake marker early in a bad spot to pass.

Jarrod

--------------------

Blake Thompson Verified Driver
Now The Fastest "Blake" in Spec Miata

Region: Central
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Thompson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

get out of the way? I thought it was the overtaking driver's responsibility to pass. If you were that much faster it should have been a trivial task?

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - YOUR Miata Parts Pimp

what spelling mistake?

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What spelling mistake?

Tom Scheifler < Scheifler correctly spelled. [Wink]
Veteran Member

Weise,

Schiefler, < Scheifler incorrectly spelled [Frown]

Sager, Manning, Kanard, Kraft, Iglou and myself were all in the mix at one point or another.

One more spelling mistake on names, Bakcus, and you get an F.

Hey Mike, Kanard has two n's. [Frown] Ya think that will be enough to get em fired up for the Sprints.

Tom, the grid sheet has Scheifler spelled Scheiflsr. [Frown]

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Region: Chicago
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
Well, thanks to all who put on a great weekend, definitely one of our favorite venues and the weather was fantastic, couldn't ask for anything more.

Congrats to Scheifler for the W!

I got helped off the track in T1, lap 1, and then red misted the worst I've ever done in my life. Apologies to all whom I may have terrorized during the race with my thuggish driving and/or conduct after. I'm usually not such an arse, honest. Just don't ask my wife. [banghead]

I left under the assumption after much flying paper that I put up a new track record. I didn't feel like standing around and waiting for official results and for what happened in T1 at the start of the race to be ruled as a racing incident so I just took off with one of the stewards' blessings. Hope I'm not DQed for leaving during an RFA! [duck]

Anyway, fun weekend with everyone up there again as always. Hope Mike didn't have to wait too long to get his camera back! Hope I can make it up for the sprints.

Looks like results are now final and no action taken by the stewards for an incident or two.

http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/RoadRacing/2008/Mueller%2...0AS,%20SM%20-%20Race.html

volante Verified Driver

Blake,
No I was not there and Jarrod was still a little bound up from the weekend I am sure but I think what he is trying to say is its sorta common practice that if you find yourself in a position on track with overtaking cars for what ever reason(faster class coming through,you spun or went off track yourself,or in this case cars in your class clearly passing you)the the thing to do is to give a point by letting them know you see them,give them just enough room to get by so they can continue on with there battle and then fall in behind and hang on there back end and if you are clearly faster or can keep up by all means join the fray and have some fun.And yes you paid your money and are entitled to as much racetrack as them but sometimes its not quite that clearcut and you really don't make any friends at the track and at the end of the day thats why we do this crap,to meet a few others who enjoy this sport as much as us.

--------------------
volante

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My first national race, and I was truly humbled. lol

I was the back marker DFL But I dont think I was lapped until lap 21 or So. Jarrod lapped me just under the checker, he got 1 more lap in "my laps". and .30 more seconds of race or something like that

NO one in that race was lapped in 11 laps, no one. I think what happened is a faster car had some troubles, in front of Jarrod, and Jarrod happened to come up on him. at Lap 11. I doubt if I had been the faster car and had an off track, I would have knuckled under either.

As it were when the pack was approaching, I made it very easy for the first 3 to get by me, I let Steve buy easy, and pointed inside for manning at 3a and braked and gave him plenty of room. when the next batch of cars were coming it was at the exit of 5, there were about 5 cars, and it was a real cluster f**k. I felt the best thing I could do for everyone (including myself) is to maintain my line and speed, and be consistent. I was amazed at how the pack swallowed me up and spit me out. And I was happy there was no incident.

On my Last lap I was coming around 7 Jarrod was coming up fast, we exited and I held my line, The ssb went way low, That really seemed like the wrong move to me, it made Jarrod have to split us.

Now this is a serious question. given that situation, and exiting a turn a slower car like me, I should stay ON LINE right? Anyway thats what we were taught in school a few years ago, and no one has ever told me thats not what to do.

I really would like a straight honest answer, I want to play, but until I get a bit faster, this is prolly gonna happen here and there.

fwiw Sunday was not my best driving performance either, and I knew I was slow. I was about 2.5 seconds off my usual, and I dont really know why.

Maybe all the waiting just got me unfocused Im not sure.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Willy,
Yes If I come up on backmarkers the last thing I want to see is you moving around off line and absolutely not braking early unless its waaaaaaay early to get off the pace and allow me to go by you and then take the racing line.In my last race at ORP I had a SSC Neon wail on the brakes in a spot you don't brake and it forced me into a serious agricultural racing/dukes of hazzard situation. Either I plow into him or go agro... Not cool.

db

jigou Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Des Moines Valley
Car #: 59
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jigou     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Volante's got it.

Willy, as I told you when you asked me in the PM yesterday, I had no issues with you, and you are not the car I'm referring to. Your car is white, the car I'm referring to is not.

I've got advice (actually constructive, honest and potentially useful advice) but this comment kinda binds me up again (thanks for that, Dave):

quote:

NO one in that race was lapped in 11 laps, no one. I think what happened is a faster car had some troubles, in front of Jarrod, and Jarrod happened to come up on him. at Lap 11. I doubt if I had been the faster car and had an off track, I would have knuckled under either.

You're right - it wasn't lap 11. It was lap 12. I apologize for the misinformation. Bound up and all.

I've typed and edited about ten paragraphs before actually posting, and I've boiled it down to this:

You're obviously looking at Mylaps, so read the lap chart and the laptimes of the car number I told you in my reply to your PM yesterday.

I'm done here.

Jarrod

--------------------

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wasnt trying to be a wise guy, was just saying AS THE DFL miata, I wasnt lapped until 20 ish laps. no one could have been lapped at 11. Sorry if you took offense

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You may have been DFL at the end, but you were not DFL throughout the entire race. It is possible someone was lapped then also came by you.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA