Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Central » Autobahn 8/17 National (and Miata Enduro)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Autobahn 8/17 National (and Miata Enduro)
old65 Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The silence about the weekend is defining!
Wasn't anyone there?
If not I missed my chance to finally win a National.
Talk to me!!!

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heard national tech was there and that a 1.8 won again with the additional weight [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I heard national tech was there and that a 1.8 won again with the additional weight [Smile]

The rest per Dave Wheeler pasted from Smac forum:

After qualifying cars where weighed, some had fuel sampled, all had hoods and trunks open for a long time. The ultrasonic tester was used to check roll bar thickness at multiple points on each car.

Post race included weights, fuel samples, restrictor plates, bore, whistler, inspection of throttle bodies for top 3. Winner also had intake and exhaust manifolds removed for inspection.

My only minor criticism is that the down pipe was not inspected while the exhaust manifold was off and that I would have done a quick look for air box drilling on the 1.8 cars.

Everything was done professionally and handled properly. My hats off to John for a job well done. Except he delayed my vacation.

FYI:

1st place, Tom Sager 1.8 (95 I think) with extra 25 pounds

2nd, Harry Manning 99

3rd Mike Backus 1.6

4th, Chris Prey 1.6 I think

1st to 4th was about 4 car lengths at end of race.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Sean15

Region: SW
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean15     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a great race for the top 4 spots.

On the start a AS firefird parked the front row(Harry and Chris) allowing Tom to go three wide through 1 and 2. On the exit of the second corner Tom went 4 tires off and came back across the track where Chris had to stand of the brakes so to only get light contact left front to tom's right rear.

The top three(Harry, Tom, Chris) had 10 car lenghts on 4th after the first lap. Turn 8(i think) on lap 2 or 3 Tom passed harry on the inside. A few laps later Chris made the same move on the outside. With the front three battleing it let Mike close in to make it a 4 car train. A few laps after Chris got by Harry he missed a shift on the back side of the track and Harry got back to second and started to run down Tom(he pulled about a 5 car gap when harry and chris were battling). Chris and Mike had dropped back about 8 car lengths and were battling for 3rd when the top two ran into some SSC lap traffic. The first two got held up getting passed and that brought all 4 back togeather with a few laps to go. There was battling at every corner all the way to the checkers.

1st Tom in a 95 1:41.6
2nd Harry in a 99 1:41.4
3rd Mike in a 90 1:41.5
4th Chris in a 90 1:41.4

backusm Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: CenDiv
Car #: 94
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Harry at a 40.8 in qualifying. 2/10ths under the race record.

Chris made a mistake in 6 for me to get around him. We couldn't hook up a draft to run the 2 lead cars down soon enough, and they were always nose to tail.

I almost collected both Tom and Harry on the exit of 6 on the last lap when Tom bobbled, and then Chris took a big look inside me at 7 (he went 4 lock up, but no contact).

Overall a great weekend. My only complaint is that local tech raised som issues over repaired body damage where I used colored high gloss white tape instead of white paint to cover some paint chips. With the economy tight and race turnouts declining, does tech really want to focus on telling competitors to do a few hundred in body work, as compared to spending it on test day entry fees? My car's not a Fall Line BMW, but its no POS sh*t box IT car either. Its a solid 5 footer.

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks like the 1.8's need another 25 lbs Jim. [yep]

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Sean15

Region: SW
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean15     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

that mistake Mike was Chris missing the brake pedal because the cover that was on the gas pedal came off and he was kicking it around and slipped on it when he went for the brakes. Guess I'm glad that all we have is a white streak down the drivers side(from the #1 brake marker is what chris said).

Like I said before, it was a great race to watch. I was in the grandstands outside of the 1st corner and could see 8 of the 14 turns. Autobahn has by far the best grounds of all the tracks i've been to(CenDiv, GLDiv and Topeka).

Phil Mather Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Insert witty title here...

Region: Detroit
Car #: 06
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Phil Mather   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a crazy start and I managed to get into third (from 6th starting position) by turn 4. Prey and I think Backus got by me at the end of the back straight with some DEEP braking. So back to 5th which I held for a couple of laps ahead of Bednarz before I backed it into the weeds off of turn 5 (I hate that turn, I had problems with it all weekend). I think I ended up 6th or 7th, but all alone with no one in front or behind me in sight. I didn't stick around for results as I had a long drive home.

Awesome facility, but I'm still not a fan of Alan Wilson tracks (of the 3 I've raced on). I like old school tracks like Grattan that follow the lay of land much more.

Thanks for CenDiv for putting on a first class operation. Everything was on time and ran flawlessly.

--------------------
Phil

Support SpecMiata.com-Buy a CG-Lock!

http://www.TeamMatherMotorsport.com/specmiata

TKraft Verified Driver

Region: DMV /GtRv
Car #: 42&46
Year : 91,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Tom Sager on his First National win. I knew it was coming,you were stepping it up every race.

T. Kraft

TKraft Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:

Lets see, out of the five Nat. races in the Central div. Three at drive your ass off tracks, BHF and Autobahn And two at a hp track RA.

1. BHF 1.8 (95)
2. BHF 1.6 (91)
3. RA 1.8 (99)
4. RA 1.8 (99)
5. ACC 1.8 (95)

I think you put the 25Ibs. on the wrong 1.8 [yep]

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TKraft:
Congratulations to Tom Sager on his First National win. I knew it was coming,you were stepping it up every race.

Actually not true. I believe this is his first National win in a SM, but not his first National win. He has won several times in SSC, and don't even start asking him about his "Pinto" days. [shame]

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

TKraft Verified Driver

I did mean SM. [Smile]

MegaModerator

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drago:
[qb] I think you put the 25Ibs. on the wrong 1.8 [yep]

Since when did we start letting you think? [Eek!] [Big Grin] [duck]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

TKraft Verified Driver

My fault for letting you know I did. [scratchchin]

TKraft Verified Driver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by backusm:
[QB] .

Overall a great weekend. My only complaint is that local tech raised som issues over repaired body damage where I used colored high gloss white tape instead of white paint to cover some paint chips. .

Mike - You should have to paint your car every weekend. [Razz] ]

old65 Verified Driver

Car #: 6
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for old65     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thank you for the report.
It is appreciated.
Ray

Icon 1 posted  Profile for backusm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SSC wins??? how big was the field?

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

miata68

Region: Detroit
Car #: 68
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for miata68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congratulations to Tom Sager on the National win - with the whole family there!!!

Plus he got to do the "teardown" in tech after. It didn't feel so bad not making the top three at this event after watching that. The "teardown" has good intentions, so I can understand that - plus my body repair is worse than Backus' , so it wouldn't have been pretty.

--------------------
David Bednarz #68

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Awesome drive by Tom. The win is long overdue.

Yet another fast and legal SM built by Go Time Racing !!

[ 08-20-2008, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Mike Tesch ]

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I think you put the 25Ibs. on the wrong 1.8 [yep]

Bump!

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tesch:
quote:

Actually not true. I believe this is his first National win in a SM, but not his first National win. He has won several times in SSC, and don't even start asking him about his "Pinto" days. [shame]
Ahhh the Pinto. A 1979 Pinto Ralleye (yes, with an "e" at the end). Bright orange with orange interior and a hatchback. Could carry a few extra wheels, small toolbox, and a small box of spare parts. You couldn't break that car if you tried and you could win SSC in it. Those were the days. $122/month lease payment, drove it daily and to and from the track, used some of my student loan money for entry fees (usually about $70 for a national) and tires ($45 each, shaved). The whole experience - priceless.

In the mid-late '90's, SSC fields in CENDIV were often 10+ cars and sometimes 20+. About the same for SSB during that time when the Miata was "the car".

The race at Autobahn was a thrill. I had some help going off at turn 1 just after the start. Did make it back on track without a big incident and I do appreciate Chris Prey backing out of it then so that we didn't have a big problem. It was all I could do to get the car straight while on the grass. Harry is so doggone tough to beat and any win in this class does not come easy. My car was handling very well through the first half of the race, but a bit of oversteer set in toward the end. I doubt I could have led for more than another lap.

Very good to see our compliance funds being put to work and it's peace of mind knowing your car is correct in the eyes of the officials. In addition to what was mentioned, they also inspected my throttle body and intake and exhaust ports.

Harry wrapped up another division championship. I'd guess that's about 10 of those for him.

Tom Sager Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Sager     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by backusm:
Overall a great weekend. My only complaint is that local tech raised som issues over repaired body damage where I used colored high gloss white tape instead of white paint to cover some paint chips.

You know Mike I looked at your car in impound after the officials sighted your fender. I'd have to say that you'd have been fine, but you just missed on the tape. The "high gloss" tape was quite a contrast to the rest of the car. Something in a satin or flat finish tape would have blended better. Take a look at some first-aid tape next time you're in Walgreens. That might be just right.

I know, mine is no better.

I'm going to get multiple rolls of tape and create an Escher drawing on that fender. Then we'll play "Who can find the dent?"

http://oneparticularwave.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/escher.gif

--------------------
Mike Backus
90 SM white #94

Peter Olivola

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Peter Olivola     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=348314

New track records are listed.

--------------------
Peter Olivola
(polivola@sbcglobal.net)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: