Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Central » Kettle National at Road America August 29-30 (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Kettle National at Road America August 29-30
Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Thompson:
quote:
Originally posted by Lance Snyder:
We can display a local flag without the steward in the chair saying anything,

Incorrect.

6.11. FLAGS
6.11.1. The names and described flags below are used in racing to convey the commands or information indicated. They shall be obeyed immediately and without question. The directives of Section 6.11. shall not be amended by any event Supplemental Regulations.

I. RED (Solid Red)
Displayed at each station and on the Starterís stand - EXTREME DANGER - THE SESSION HAS BEEN STOPPED. Come to an immediate, controlled stop at the side of the race track (indicated by an official at that location or as specified in the event Supplementary Regulations). When released by an Official, proceed cautiously to the pits.
NOTE: THE RED FLAG CAN ONLY BE DISPLAYED BY ORDER OF THE CHIEF STEWARD AS RELAYED THROUGH RACE CONTROL.

Capitals didn't seem enough, emphasis mine. I am not intending to argue with you about the case of other flags, our discussion was specific to the red flag.

The red, black and double yellows are not local flags, we cannot choose to display them... those orders come from control. If you look again at what I quoted I said LOCAL. And as pointed out by Mr. Budman several posts above I clearly stated what you quoted from the GCR so not sure what busting my balls will do for you.

quote:

IMO, corner 8 should have been standing yellow long before the oil was spilled as there was a car off track driver's left (he elaborated earlier on suspension issues) earlier in the session.

OK, so we should be standing yellow for how long now for a car off? Frack it... we'll just stay standing yellow the entire session, let all you yahoo's pass, call you in then you can bitch and moan about a standing yellow being up for way too long. Or you'll just get smart, realize there is no flag position there and it's in no mans land and continue racing through.

Interesting comment by JRandall here:

quote:
When I came though (10th) it was standing yellow at 8 and they were just getting the debris flag out at. The car in front of me and the two behind went off into the mess of cars.
So even with the debris flag out and a standing yellow folks went off into the mess.

Has anyone ever thought just maybe this was a case of fecal matter hitting the oscillating device and due to manning that day there may not have been a way to prevent it?

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can the Runoffs go back to Topeka? The straights are too long there.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lance, not sure why you are blaming Manning for all this. He won the race [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Lance you crack me up... [Smile]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Steyn:
^^ Relax ....... just having fun with it!!! Everyone is wound up really tight as we get closer to the runoffs!!!

Who says our Spec Miata technology is antiquated - just look at what we inherited from F1 / Indy Cars. Just not sure if its the 80Hp from the KERS or its the Push to Pass system. Either way it really works!!!!

mr boerboel ;
am completely relaxed here, 1,520 miles away from Baghdad, er, Elkhart Lake [Wink]
all yous guys are lucky the Marines will be in the house to keep order ...
"pity the fool" that tries to pull a fast one on Mike "Semper fi" Collins, along with the rest of the "shock and awe" tech team that will be there ...
[fight] [nope] [Smile]

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
Lance, not sure why you are blaming Manning for all this. He won the race [Big Grin]

HA! That's funny.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It does bring up the subject of having enough workers to safely run a race weekend.

willy_1959 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee+Midwest council madison club
Car #: 36
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for willy_1959   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

hmm
I have flagged for SCCA, and other groups. imo scca is normally are overmanned. seems like they will put 5 workers on some corners at times. Not anything wrong with that, but if they are short handed they will move people accordingly to make the most use. I wasn't there last weekend so I dont know the turn out, and really shouldn't speculate, other than what I just said.

I have been in the control room at RA and the video coverage they have of the track would put NASA (space) to shame (not really, but its really great) The SOM would most likely be watching as the action unfolded, and been right on top of it, of course there are always seconds that seem like hours in any emergency. And lag times to get the message to the workers etc.

--------------------
http://btdtracing.com - Miata Parts

Dennis Brown Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Indy
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Brown     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not saying it was or wasn't or that anything could be done differently.

It is something I think most assume that there will be someone at a specific flag station and I think we as racers need to discuss.

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: