Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Reasons for low camber numbers?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Reasons for low camber numbers?
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My son just finished installing the spec suspension on his new '91. Set ride height at approx 5" all around. Took in to a reputable alignment guru and was only able to get about 1.4 in the front. Said the cam bolt was max'd on the left side and balanced left and right camber. Rears were set at 2.5 - what's the likely cause of the low front numbers? Something bent? Car has never been hit and only 81K on odometer.

Also noticeable squeak in the rear when going over a speed bump etc. And also would appreciate any hints as to rolling the fenders.

Thanks -

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bent LCA. Mine could only get 1.9 on the front right. It didn't look bent to me but it was. They bend pretty easily. It could have happened driving too fast over speed bumps.

A baseball bat or a thick jack handle is an easy way to roll the fenders. Wedge it between the tire and the fender. Slowly drive the car fwd and back a couple feet so that the tire slides the bat along the inside of the fender (two people required unless you're really tallented). I just used a hammer and gently folded the lip up.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Low camber in the front is a common issue most have issues with the right front. Making some say it's an issue hitting curbs while parking. I have no issues with the left can easily get 2.7 But only 1.9 right front. On my new car same issue all different parts same camber issue. I wish they would come up with a optional spindle so that everyone would have the ability to get all the camber they want at either wheel. There are those that have plenty of camber and have found some way to get it.

Dennis

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you are using 99 hats, you should have no problem getting more than enough camber. No mysteries, just parts that may need to be replaced [Smile] Most common cause is lower control arm, but there are lots of parts that could be bent, so just go get some spares and swap them out, or send them to miatacage.com and have them put on the jig.

http://www.miatacage.com/services.php?services_id=...d1ee9e0a03ad064801049ed80

Since it sounds like you might not have any spares, I would get some and go that route first.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If the problem is a bent LCA for instance and since you can't really eyeball these things I gather, how does one know if a spare out of a parts car is any better. Would it be best to just pony up and buy new LCA's through Mazdaspeed? The new suspension has both the 99's and the FC's....

Nice tip Keith on rolling the fenders....wood bat or aluminum?? Hope to see you at Pacific on the 1st.

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

W. Bonsell

Also....what about the squeak coming from the rear??

Any ideas??

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The new LCAs from Mazdaspeed are better reinforced, so yes that is a good way to go for LCA. Steering Knuckle's a little hard to bend, so probably okay going with used there.

My racecar squeaks, always has, but there are no speedbumps on the racetrack, and nobody can hear it on the victory lap [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

use a wood bat btw.fender is stronger than an aluminum bat

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by W. Bonsell:
If the problem is a bent LCA for instance and since you can't really eyeball these things I gather, how does one know if a spare out of a parts car is any better. Would it be best to just pony up and buy new LCA's through Mazdaspeed? The new suspension has both the 99's and the FC's....

Nice tip Keith on rolling the fenders....wood bat or aluminum?? Hope to see you at Pacific on the 1st.

Bill

There's a spot on the front of the LCA that seems to be the bendy spot. I tried putting a straight edge to it but still couldn't tell it was bent. Ken eyeballed it and said it was. Then again he can set the lash on a diff by smell.

Wood bat or aluminum? Whichever you don't mind putting a few scratches on. [Smile]

I hope to be there on the 1st. Just waiting for my head to arrive. I really want to try that new pavement. I hear it's uber grippy and fun.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: