Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Clacking sound

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Clacking sound
RazerX

Region: CA Northern
Car #: 511
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RazerX     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i replaced a water pump and in doing so had to remove and reinstall the timing belt. i triple checked it, did the two rotation trick several times and each time it look good.

anyway i got it back together, fired right up, runs smooth, but I hear a clacking sound from the valve cover. I let it idle for about minute but no change. I gave it a little gas but the sound just got louder and kept pace with the revs. I haven't pulled the valve cover off yet, i needed a break to not throw anything. [Mad] [banghead]

Ideas? I thought it wouldn't run if i messed up the timing belt, so unless i left something on the valve train (pretty unlikely) i thought i would seek sage advice before i just started tearing everything off again.

--------------------
David

RazerX

Icon 1 posted  Profile for RazerX     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ok, realized i have zero oil pressure so it was a HLA making noise i am guessing. Given i did not even remove the sprocket from the crank (never took the timing belt off) how could this job have messed up the oil pressure?

--------------------
David

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check the oil level just to be sure.

There is a spring and ball pressure regulator in the side of the oil pump that can fail.

What are you using to indicate oil pressure?

That noise is pretty common and can take some time to go away, but zero oil pressure isn't.

RazerX

oil level is fine, so no easy fix.

stock sending unit. i am thinking i should get a physical unit to check the pressure before i tear off the pan.

--------------------
David

RazerX

got a recommendation to drain the oil, put in a new filter, fill the oil, crank for 30 seconds w/o plugs and see of the oil filter is empty to ensure the oil pump is in fact not working versus a faulty gauge.

--------------------
David

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Stock gauges and senders suck.

Its probably busted.

RazerX

Thanks Greg..

i found a screw missing on the back of the instrument cluster used to ground the gauge apparently. So now it works.

Confident i had oil i let the car idle and clacking sound was replaced by the normal loud valve train tapping. Think i am good...

--------------------
David

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: