Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » alum shock hat spacers with Fat Cat kit

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: alum shock hat spacers with Fat Cat kit
Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Should the aluminum shock hat spacers still be used with the FCM kit? Sorry.....this was likely addressed earlier but I haven't found it with the search function yet.

Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

no

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Lutz:
Should the aluminum shock hat spacers still be used with the FCM kit? Sorry.....this was likely addressed earlier but I haven't found it with the search function yet.

Thanks, Jay

No is the right answer, If you go to the FCM web they have a nice instruction sheet with pictures that takes the guess work out of it.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm kind of slow. What he ^ said.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does this kit really make a difference? I've been told it does not based upon Runoffs data. I bought a kit but have not installed it yet and am considering selling it...

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No is the answer?????

My kit included them in case the Bilstein spacers were lost. The instructions and illustrations specifically indicate using them.

Todd

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Question on the stackup of parts in the kit.

Does the land on the shock shaft set against the red anodized aluminum plate of the FatCat kit? It seems like the steel land pushing against an aluminum plate will cause some nasty wear.

Has anyone bypassed the red aluminum plate for a stack of steel washers?

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or should one flat washer be placed on the shock shaft before sliding it through the red anodized plate thing? If this is done what happens when putting the final nut on. The thickness of whatever washer is placed there will change the stacked height of all the parts.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy, the kit isn't suddenly going to take a second off your time but it does solve the bandaid approach to 99+ shock hat upgrade. Worth the time/expense in my opinion.

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On a 99?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***On a 99?***

Presuming you do not use the OEM lower rubber bushing in the 99 stack up. Yes, remember the issue is TPing the thin washer between the shock shoulder & the 99 shock hat & blowing the thin washer through the hole in the shock hat. OEM there was a rubber bushing both top & bottom side of the 99 shock hat.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe I'm out of line here, but you either use the kit from Fat Cat the way it comes or you use the updated 99 hats with the big shiny washers things or you use the kit from mazdaspeed. No sticking washers in there. Thats protest and DQ material.

db

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

David, when Cy said "on a 99" I was trying to confirm to Cy that the kit from Mazdaspeed has the thin washer that TP's & blows through the 99 shock hat. It was considered by some to be a safety issue. I agree extra parts are potential DQ material.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

CP Verified Driver

Gonna make the change in the next few nights. The current FC kits come with the little round spacer that the MS shocks come with. I tossed them after installing the last 2 sets of shocks I bought and was hoping that they were included with the FC kit. I just checked and they are there.

Two of my MS bumpstops have separated from the top hats and are floating on the shock shaft. I had Gorilla glued them prior to last season but it didn't hold.

--------------------
-Cy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: