next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » 99 Build

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 99 Build
George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm trying to get idea of the pros and cons of using the "Fat Cat" system on a 99 verses the stock setup.

Thanks George

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Things break with the 99 system alone.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Z-MAN Verified Driver

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 54
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Z-MAN     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Using the 99 top shock mounts with the SM shocks without using the Fat Cat bump stops can lead to failure of the shock mount where the shock shaft pushes through the mount and results in a very wild ride...

Highly recommend the Fat Cats...

MZ

rmgroth Series Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for rmgroth     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ordered a set of the FatCats but they seem to be on backorder (ordered from MazdaSpeed) I sure hope they get them in soon, as I've only got about a month before my car needs to be ready!

--------------------
Ryan Groth
#52 SM
NASA Midwest Series Director

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Personal experiance says the stock ones can fail and it hurts when they do.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got my from Mazdaspeed, I wonder if you can order directly from FatCat http://www.miata.net/products/chassis/fatcatbump.html

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for all those that responded to my Fat Cat question. Now time to spend more money. [thumbsup]

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by George Munson:
Thanks for all those that responded to my Fat Cat question. Now time to spend more money. [thumbsup]

And wait for them to get in stock and ship!

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by soupy:
Personal experiance says the stock ones can fail and it hurts when they do.

I just finished my car without them.
How long do you think I have? A season or 2?

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I don't run them - Drago and I disagree on this part of the setup.

I used the washers instead, and have had no issues. I crash curbs pretty hard but don't generally spend a lot of time off course bouncing through the gravel traps and putting a lot of shock load into the suspension like certain people at Mid Ohio with the initials Blake Clements. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine failed very early in the second season. I use the curbs and not much off course. When it failed I did a left turn NOW into the wall at Poccono so hard it broke the motor mount and put the motor up through the hood. Along with a lot of other damage.
Put the next set together with the washers. End of season they were starting to cone shape.

You do what you want.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got video Charlie?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use the fatcats but there are washers and then there are washers. A cheap stamped washer is probably not your best bet if you go that route. A lot goes into good hardware. It's the equivalent to buying a $1 tool from the dollar store and getting a Snap-On.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I installed the Fat Cat 99 top hats January 2009. After a couple of head-on hits that were hard enough to break the shaft on one shock and bend the other shock shaft....the red aluminum washers were fine with no tee peeing. The glue had come undone on the upper mount, but other than that no wear and tear after a season of curb use at Sebring.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just installed mine( full fatcat kit) from Tim at Mazda MS a week ago and my car is lower and with good shock travel and I managed to get another 1/2 degree on neg camber to the rear of the car. Great kit. Parts look to be great quality.

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Would someone please snap a quick photo of the "set screw" to secure the top nut that's been mentioned? Thanks.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's just a basic allen head set screw. Don't recall the size off the top of my head. Any good mtric supply house will have them. You could also use a basic hex head bolt, just doesn't look as nice.

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is what I use:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3062/=6352wl

99642A184
Metric Alloy Steel Cup Point Socket Set Screw M10 Size, 12mm Length, 1.25mm Pitch, Fine Thread
In stock at $8.95 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 5

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I eyeball the distance between the spacers on each corner before each outing. 1/4"

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

CP Verified Driver

I think I'm going to play with the whiteout bottle and/or a red sharpie this weekend and make some marks that will be easy to see.

--------------------
-Cy

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Red finger nail polish works also....so I've been told

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I keep a bottle of white and yellow nail polish on hand for stuff like that and marking bolts I've torqued. Easier to see and the funny looks that you get when you bring it up to the check-out counter can be classic. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

CP Verified Driver

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Longo:
Red finger nail polish works also....so I've been told

Can I borrow yours?

--------------------
-Cy

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

fingernail polish is easy to remove with nail polish remover.
sharpie is not easy to remove.
if you take things apart, you can just start over when you use nail polish.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

torque seal

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: