Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Base-line height with FCM Kit

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Base-line height with FCM Kit
Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am setting up my '95 this weekend.
It has '99 hats with FCM Kit.

What is a good base-line height?
Does 4-5/8" to 4-3/4" still work?

Thanks,

Todd

PS - I used windshield adhesive to glue the stops to the hats. Seems to have worked well.

John Hammer Palazzolo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

Region: NASA SE
Car #: 88
Year : '90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Hammer Palazzolo   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great tip on the windshield adhesive, whatever goop I used on mine failed already!

--------------------
John "Hammer" Palazzolo

Automotive Event Facilitator
Performance Driving Instructor
JohnHammer.org
877.HEY.0005

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by John Hammer Palazzolo:
Great tip on the windshield adhesive, whatever goop I used on mine failed already!

John you should know by now that K-Y is not an adhesive. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hammer I used super glue. Krazy Glue to be exact

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used the gorilla glue and it didn't hold.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i too am intrested in the answer.i have my car at about 4.5 from the pinch weld and have what i think to be alot of travel left.almost an inch between shock bottom and the bump stop.

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine came apart too with gorilla glue, not much you can do.

My car is lower than that and I like it low, at about 4 1/4 front and 4 3/8 rear. still plenty of travel. On a good flat new surface I think it would be fine but on a bumpy track that has a lot of compression dips and bad pavments it could be an issue. I test drive it on the street and go over all types of pavement changes to look for areas of concern, and hit bumps that you would never find on track to see if the shocks bottom out no issues, but the track I run on in south florida are very flat and smooth.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

4-5/8 to 4-7/8 is my range. Too low and the car gets darty.

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Taylor:
Mine came apart too with gorilla glue, not much you can do.

My car is lower than that and I like it low, at about 4 1/4 front and 4 3/8 rear. still plenty of travel. On a good flat new surface I think it would be fine but on a bumpy track that has a lot of compression dips and bad pavments it could be an issue. I test drive it on the street and go over all types of pavement changes to look for areas of concern, and hit bumps that you would never find on track to see if the shocks bottom out no issues, but the track I run on in south florida are very flat and smooth.

At 4 5/8, long sweepers on a rough surface can be bad. I had a really frustrating weekend set up like that. Half way through long bumppy turns I'd get major understeer. The guys who knew better were going up about 4 turns.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
4-5/8 to 4-7/8 is my range. Too low and the car gets darty.

Thanks Dave,

I'm aiming for 4.75" for that reason.
I've had it lower and does get darty
(But it really looks like a race car with the tires tucked under the fenders with no gaps.)

Todd

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Maybe our tracks out here in the west are smoother but I'm running at 4-4.25" or about 3/8" off the bump stops in the front without any problems. I run slightly higher in the rear

I can get close to 4 deg neg camber in the front at that height.

Ken

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken SM-94:

In other news, I hate you. [Smile]

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

4 degrees neg is cool, I can't get past 3.5, As Far as ride height, it seem over 4.5 is the norm, but I like low. Yea, I been there on the long sweeepers, before they redid moroso, the last turn , on to the front straight was a bummy ars right sweeper, and it could upset just about any car. I like to have the low cg, but I sure will raise it up if it ran better at a higher setting.

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

Ken

On the other hand, I'm not sure I need that much. I'm just going for the groovy look. [Wink]

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken SM-94:
I'm just going for the groovy look. [Wink]

Maybe you should consider hanging out with us. [Wink]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: