Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Shop Floor Jack / Racing Jack

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Shop Floor Jack / Racing Jack
Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I haven't seen anything on this subject for a while so I thought I'd broach it to see if any new products have come out.

I'm in need of 2 jacks.

One heavy duty steel jack to keep at home that is low profile (4" max) but can lift high (at the very least 20" but preferably higher).

I also need a good mid-level aluminum racing jack. I've used the cheap chinese ones from Sears, Harbor Freight and other auto parts stores and they have been okay. I just want a little better, but I'm not ready to pay $800+ for a Brunnhoelzl racing jack. And from what I've read the Snap On jacks are just rebranded Chinese stuff. So what's out there in the $200 to $400 range that's good?

Recommendations? Thanks!

[ 03-17-2010, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Gibscreen ]

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looking for the same here. Can't find a good quality aluminum Jack.

John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For a shop jack check out Milwaukee Hydraulics. Made & assembled in the USA, with aviation spec seals. It's probably the best shop jack you can get. I called them directly and got a price much better then the web-retail prices I saw. Low enough for the Miata if you jack the rear first and then go to front cross member from the side.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Todd Greene Made Donation to Website

Region: Alabama
Car #: 86sm
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Greene     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm a tool-snob, but have been impressed with Harbor Freight's aluminum jack. There have been coupons for the past few months in SportsCar and GrassRoots Motorsports for $59.00. It has been a good buy so far.

Todd

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Greene:
I'm a tool-snob, but have been impressed with Harbor Freight's aluminum jack. There have been coupons for the past few months in SportsCar and GrassRoots Motorsports for $59.00. It has been a good buy so far.

Todd

That's the one I keep in pitlane during enduros for emergency tire changes. It's lighter than anything I've ever had and only jacks to 15", which is fine for tire changes but not much else.

I'm more interested in finding an additional aluminum jack that can be used a little more as a general jack--something that jacks to at least 18" or so--to allow work underneath the car at the track.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Greene:

Todd

I bought the little HF jack and it immediately fell apart on me (would only go about 1/2 way up.)

The big one does pretty well (lifts 18+ inches) but like all HF tools, if there are any exposed nuts and bolts, remove them and reinstall with lock tite or you'll soon wonder what that odd nut is lying on your floor or paddock space and then find it went to one of your tools. The push button to the handle fell off and the front wheel/roller fell off.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rob, I'll trade you a costco two handle aluminum jack for a HF 1 handle with lights. The Costco one is great, but I love the light little HF one handle units. Shoot me an email.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

the HF 2 ton alumin racing jack is the one i got. it is the one that has a square pad rather than round.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

it was on sale for ~ $135 and has been excellent on my 944, and my miata.
HF does sell alot of crap, but this one has been very good.

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

aged racer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge/ Roanoke
Car #: 85 (SM now, was SSB)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for aged racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've used one like this from Sears for five years. Works well in the garage or paddock. Price is reasonable, especially if you catch a sale:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00950...ent&keyword=aluminum+jack

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For use in the shop, look at AC Hydraulics. Super low clearance, and it lifts the car way up. They're sold in europe like crazy and I think there are still some US distributors.

For the lightweight aluminium jack, I'd buy a Harbor Freight jack. But then you need to take the think apart, clean it up, locktite everything, tighten it down, and then bleed the jack. Once you do that, they're great and they last for a long time. The component quality isn't bad, but the assembly quality is AWFUL.

E

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by aged racer:
I've used one like this from Sears for five years. Works well in the garage or paddock. Price is reasonable, especially if you catch a sale:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00950...ent&keyword=aluminum+jack

POS. Don't buy it. The reviews for it are terrible. I had one that went bad during the year's warranty. since then, I haven't raced much, but my replacement one has stopped working properly. Leaks fluid. Probably a bad seal, but I don't have time to screw with it right now.

My old one had a different design for the drain plug. I figured that was the problem. It wasn't. The thing is a turd.

Might get a costco low profile aluminum one next time my local store carries one.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep it coming all the floor Jacks I have bought last a year or less and start leaking and stop working. I wish i could get a floor lift in my little garage.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay, here's some stuff on the Milwaukee jack I have. They are made to last 30-yrs, I've had mine all of 3-yrs, so I can't truly speak from experience, but it seem well made and american industry need our support whenever we can provide it (that's my motivation). Found a mediocre video about them.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64fUiH8W_Gc
And another site that seems to have some good info and an alternative if you can't afford the Milwaukee. http://www.hyjacks.com/wichjac.htm

Here are the spec for the jack:
Model 20:
- 2 Ton Capacity
Automatic Safety Bypass
- Prevents jack from blowing seals when over load condition exists
Chrome Plated and Heat Treated Wear Parts
- All pistons, rams and release needles
- Prohibits corrosion
- Increases jack durability and longevity
Oil Seals
- Aviation spec
- Longer life
Release Mechanism
- Unique linear motion eliminates galling found in standard screw mechanisms
- Provides smooth release control
Dual Hydraulic Pump
- Only jack available with speed and power piston for increased lifting speed and ease of use
FEATURES OF THE EXCLUSIVE PIVOTING RAM DESIGN (The Choice of the Professionals)
- Outstanding dependability
- Higher structural strength
- 50% more power per pound of weight
- Reduction in length of jack
- Reduction in number of wearing parts
- More maneuverable

SPECIFICATIONS:
Saddle Height:
Min 3 3/4"
Max 20"
Saddle Diameter: 6"
Chassis Length: 26 1/4"
Overall width at caster wheels: 10 3/8"
Overall width at front wheels: 9"
Frame Height: 6 3/8"
Handle Length: 49"
Shipping Weight: 70 lbs

Okay I guess that was too much info, I'll step off the [soapbox]
[Smile]

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA:
Okay, here's some stuff on the Milwaukee jack I have. They are made to last 30-yrs, I've had mine all of 3-yrs, so I can't truly speak from experience, but it seem well made and american industry need our support whenever we can provide it (that's my motivation).

This definitely seems like a high-end shop jack. But most people don't need this level of jack and Milwaukee doesn't sell a prosumer level of jack.

And the motivation to buy American because the industry needs our support is bunk, because it doesn't seem like American companies even want to go to any effort to sell their products anymore. Case in point: I tried to google the milwaukee jack to find a place to buy it. The only places that came up looked shadier than an ebay reseller. Rule #1 in marketing is make it easy for people to buy your product.

Not only that, but when you go to the Milwaukee Hydraulics website they don't even have the specs for the jack listed. Why bother having a website if you're not going to include any usable information?

There's two reasons everyone's buying Chinese products these days: they're cheap and they're AVAILABLE.

China is using the Japanese model for industry domination. Start by making cheap quality products for extremely cheap prices to undercut both the low-end and moderate-level companies. Then when you drive out the low-end competition, gradually raise the quality followed by the price to decrease the market share of the high-end companies.

There will always be a small place for the high-end companies like Milwaukee, but as you can tell, they're few and far between even today. So the only real reason to support American industry by buying a Milwaukee jack is if you need a commercial grade jack and you have $600 to spare.

Now I'll get off my soapbox. [soapbox]

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A quick suggestion if you have leaky piece of shite jacks - I have found that filling my Crapsmans with leftover brake fluid seems to slow down the rate of decay. I'd bet that the fluid is not directly compatible and probably is swelling the seals inside the jack and crutching them along for a bit. I've had good luck with this for the last two or three years now. Since I always have leftover fluid it's a no cost Easy button option.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know its late now but have you checked with buying a used jack from a nascar team? they usually auction off their used equiptment at the end of the season.

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So this thread got me thinking about my trailer jack. I only carry a HF for the Miata at the track, but don't have anything if the trailer gets a flat. I have experienced flats in my open trailer and the HF moaned but did the job. I know it wouldn't work on my new 26' enclosed.
What do you guys use or keep on the trailer for the trailer?

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Richter:
So this thread got me thinking about my trailer jack. I only carry a HF for the Miata at the track, but don't have anything if the trailer gets a flat. I have experienced flats in my open trailer and the HF moaned but did the job. I know it wouldn't work on my new 26' enclosed.
What do you guys use or keep on the trailer for the trailer?

Oh that is easy. THIS is the shiznit...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/80390/10002/-1

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

If its tandem axle just roll the good tire up on a couple of blocks of wood or your trailer ramps (if you have the removable kind that you can lay on the ground). That should get the bad tire off the ground enough to change it.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I keep one of those ramp style trailer jacks in the trailer like the trailer aid shown on the link below. Its worked great the two times I needed it.

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/jacks.htm

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: