Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » noob looking to SM in SOCAL

 - Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: noob looking to SM in SOCAL
Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw this noob on the other thread, and you guys helped out a ton. so here is mine.

I am planning to run SM in California. I have ran track days for few years now in a Rotrex Miata. I am not mechanical, only works I can do on a Miata are brakes, suspension and fluid changes.

plan to buy an used SM in the next few months. shake it down for couple of months, and start racing with you guys by Fall. plan to do few sprints, with more emphasis on enduro.

I've tracked 2 NBs, so 99 is what I prefer. but in classified, cheapest NB SM is $19k !!!! I almost have a heart attack. that's almost T1 money. I prefer later model, at least 1.8, because I can remove restrictor, put big wheel/tire and run ITA/PTE on the same weekend. is that a correct train of thought ?

is there a expiration date on seat ? if I have a right side net, do I need a halo seat ? where can I get an annual ?

what's this 4.3 rear I've been hearing about ? do I need to buy a 4.3 rear to race next year ?

my budget is not high. my current Rotrex Miata is fast, but kind of ghetto (which I am okay with). I am budgeting around $10k for the car AND spares. is that even enough to be a mid pack car ?

thanks all.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Posts: 847
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

another classified option: http://specmiataclassifieds.com/SMF/index.php?board=4.0

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Posts: 391
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is this BellWilliam from TrackHQ.com?

Out to kick RichardEvo's butt on the track?

(no offense Richard) [duck]

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Posts: 2000
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check with people who know the supplemental rules in your region. Per the national ruleset, you can reconfigure your car to run ITA (take out the plate, add an intake, etc.) as long as you meet the ITA ruleset.

Many regional divisions have their own rule that if you run two classes like ITA and SM, you have to run both in SM trim. I didn't think it was a rule in my region. Sure enough it was buried in a different part of the sups than I was looking. I'm not a fan of that rule.

FIA certified seats have an expiration date. Nets I believe are generally inspected visually. The 4.3 gear comes in the 90-93 and 99+. The 94-97 comes with a taller 4.1 gear. The 4.3 will be required for national races this year starting in June I think but all cars next year.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Year : 1990
Posts: 367
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In Cal Club, the Southern California region SCCA club, the supps specify that SM's that also run ITA must run in full SM trim with SM plates, weights, etc. Makes it easy to double dip which is important as many times there is only a 1 session (30 min) break between the SM and IT run groups. It gets tight when you've got to clear impound, hydrate, refuel, and regrid in less than 30 minutes. If you run ITS with an NB knock yourself out but be aware that depowered steering racks are not legal in IT. Grrr.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
Is this BellWilliam from TrackHQ.com?

Out to kick RichardEvo's butt on the track?

(no offense Richard) [duck]

Richard got tired of the butt kicking and is selling his ITA miata and corvette. He bought an S2K much to the chagrin of gophers everywhere. [duck]

No big wheels allowed in ITA, only 7". Wheels are free in PTE though. There's probably a tire size limit in ITA too.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Posts: 391
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Burgoon:
Richard got tired of the butt kicking and is selling his ITA miata and corvette. He bought an S2K much to the chagrin of gophers everywhere. [duck]

RichardS2K?!

Who woulda thunk?

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

this is the same Bellwilliam [Smile]
ready to get my butt kicked in SM
that's a strange rule that the car has to be in SM trim to run ITA.
How about double dipping in SM and PTE ?

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Posts: 847
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

SM & PTE are really close... With SM trim you may have some points available to upgrade easy-to-swap parts but no real big swings.

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

GW
Member

Posts: 56
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GW     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

check with Louis at Rush Motorsports in Santee for some car options that should be up your alley. He also provides great track support for us.

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Posts: 199
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Post a search on Autotrader.com for '99 miatas set a price and wait. it will email you when cars in your price range are available. I bought my '99 for $2500 and it was relatively straight. I stripped it and installed the suspension (and as others on this board will attest, I am not a wrenching type of guy) then gave the Car to Rush to do the engine work and double check my work. All told I had about $15k invested but you can do it for less and still be competitive.
The top drivers could win in my car. Unfortunately the car is stuck with me driving it. Driver, Driver , Driver!
good luck
Sean

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just bought my SM an hour ago !! I did shop for few weeks now. bought an 03 (I know I know), it has had only 30k miles on it, so all parts are barely broken in. it has most parts, except need a 4.3 Torsen and seat (and see below). deal was too good to pass up.

I will have a ton of questions for you guys later.

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

my first question:
seller bolted the old SM suspension into another car, so I have to buy a set of SM suspension. what parts do I need to buy from Mazdaspeed ? the SM suspension from Mazdaspeed, does it have NB hats ? are SM NA kit differ from NB kit ? only NA runs Fat Cat kit ?

Tvance13
Member

Car #: 85
Year : 2001
Posts: 161
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tvance13   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DId you buy the car locally? I haven't seen an 03 in CA? Who did you buy it from? Call the guys at mazda speed, 949-222-2652. They will get you all hooked up. You do want to run the FC set up on your car.

--------------------
http://TylerVanceRacing.com

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fat Cats are needed on a NB miata?!?

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

few more questions:

1. do I have to run wheel liners ? car doesn't have one now. hopefully I wouldn't have to buy.
2. do I have to run strut bar ? I would prefer without to save some weight.
3. do I have to run hood latch ?
4. fog light cover. do they need to be covered ?
5. what's this 4.3 rear I've been hearing about ? do I need to buy a 4.3 rear to race next year ?
6. am I allowed to seal around the radiator. there is ~1/2" gap all the way around.

thanks

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1. no
2. not sure. probably?
3. no, hood pins are fine, I THINK you can remove the latch system
4. no idea
5. already answered that foolio
6. no get a big chinese radiator off ebay. Don't get a SD radiator. They fail, just like the SD exhausts fail to fit.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

and read the rules!

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

can you specify which big Chinese radiator off Ebay. I did a search on Ebay, and 1,257 came up.

can I run any fan ? or do I want to run 1 or 2 fans ?

I have you why do I need to read the rules.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Posts: 847
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dude get this: The Spec Miata Constructors Manual

http://advanced-autosports.com/PROD16_books_how_to.htm

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have the book

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bellwilliam:
can you specify which big Chinese radiator off Ebay. I did a search on Ebay, and 1,257 came up.

can I run any fan ? or do I want to run 1 or 2 fans ?

I have you why do I need to read the rules.

I like my CX racing radiator, but don't count on the fan mount holes being exact with the chinese rads. The ones for the godspeed were off. The driver's side fan is required. You're not allowed to wire the fans together. If the rules don't say you can, you can't. Seriously, read the rules. There's probably stuff that's not legal as the car sits, and soon you will be on the hook for it.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Posts: 2000
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The one or two fans had me confused too. The drivers side fan is standard equipment. The passenger's side fan is for the A/C. My understanding of the way it works is you must keep the standard fan, but if you pull out the AC, you have to take the other fan out with it.

Unless you've decided your race car needs AC for some reason, one fan is plenty. Under normal racing conditions the fan really isn't contributing much. (I could be wrong but whoever told me that was convincing enough that I believed them.)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Posts: 199
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cant have a strut bar. and all lights need to be covered. Use duct tape.

For car setup and build advise, check with Louis at Rush, or some of the other builders and top drivers.

There is alot of advise to be had out there, but many wont their ideas post on the forum.

Sean

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

JimEli Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NWR
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Posts: 252
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JimEli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SWDouglass:

...
and all lights need to be covered. Use duct tape.
...

this advice is worth what you paid for it [Wink]

--------------------
UPR.com
Team LemonLappers

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Posts: 199
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I should qualify that statement. Unless you want to replace your lights and enjoy cutting tires. Because with willow springs and buttonwillow, you will catch rocks and they will break things. If the rocks donk break them the rest of us drivers might. Lol. I used black gorilla tape on the front headlights and clear leading edge tapes on the marker and tail lights.
Murphys law will advise that if you cover them they will not get broken. If u don't, they will again and again.
We don't get much rain and unless you are running enduros you won't need the headlights.

Good luck,
Sean
Ps: my advise is worth my $.02. Lmao.

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
The one or two fans had me confused too. The drivers side fan is standard equipment. The passenger's side fan is for the A/C. My understanding of the way it works is you must keep the standard fan, but if you pull out the AC, you have to take the other fan out with it.

Unless you've decided your race car needs AC for some reason, one fan is plenty. Under normal racing conditions the fan really isn't contributing much. (I could be wrong but whoever told me that was convincing enough that I believed them.)

this is what NASA rule book says:
"At least one functional stock OEM cooling fan must be mounted in one of the stock locations"
It doesn't say which fan on which side. as long as >one fan is installed in one of stock locations.

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Posts: 847
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bellwilliam:
this is what NASA rule book says:
"At least one functional stock OEM cooling fan must be mounted in one of the stock locations"
It doesn't say which fan on which side. as long as >one fan is installed in one of stock locations.

a. Remove the Passenger side fan (A/C fan)... Just unbolt & unclip the wires.

b. You may have to trim the remaining fans housing to allow the sway-bar to move freely.

c. Keep the underside tray, it helps cooling.


Next question please [Big Grin]

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bellwilliam:
quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
The one or two fans had me confused too. The drivers side fan is standard equipment. The passenger's side fan is for the A/C. My understanding of the way it works is you must keep the standard fan, but if you pull out the AC, you have to take the other fan out with it.

Unless you've decided your race car needs AC for some reason, one fan is plenty. Under normal racing conditions the fan really isn't contributing much. (I could be wrong but whoever told me that was convincing enough that I believed them.)

this is what NASA rule book says:
"At least one functional stock OEM cooling fan must be mounted in one of the stock locations"
It doesn't say which fan on which side. as long as >one fan is installed in one of stock locations.

Don't forget that you need/want to be compliant with the SCCA rulebook too.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Jonathan Christian Verified Driver
Member

Region: south pacific
Car #: 31
Year : 91
Posts: 447
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jonathan Christian   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SWDouglass:
I should qualify that statement. Unless you want to replace your lights and enjoy cutting tires. Because with willow springs and buttonwillow, you will catch rocks and they will break things. If the rocks donk break them the rest of us drivers might. Lol. I used black gorilla tape on the front headlights and clear leading edge tapes on the marker and tail lights.
Murphys law will advise that if you cover them they will not get broken. If u don't, they will again and again.
We don't get much rain and unless you are running enduros you won't need the headlights.

Good luck,
Sean
Ps: my advise is worth my $.02. Lmao.

you dont have to worry about rocks breaking stuff if you stay in front... [Big Grin]

Bellwilliam Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 26
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bellwilliam     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was surprised about this in NASA rule book
"any mirrors may be used and removed" under "exterior" section.

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver
Member

Posts: 443
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, you need to read the fastrack SM rules updates on SCCA's web site. They include some updates to the GCR.

Don't be fooled when they mention things being discussed, it's not final until its a "technical bulletin" or whatever.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Posts: 199
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Christian:
quote:
Originally posted by SWDouglass:
I should qualify that statement. Unless you want to replace your lights and enjoy cutting tires. Because with willow springs and buttonwillow, you will catch rocks and they will break things. If the rocks donk break them the rest of us drivers might. Lol. I used black gorilla tape on the front headlights and clear leading edge tapes on the marker and tail lights.
Murphys law will advise that if you cover them they will not get broken. If u don't, they will again and again.
We don't get much rain and unless you are running enduros you won't need the headlights.

Good luck,
Sean
Ps: my advise is worth my $.02. Lmao.

you dont have to worry about rocks breaking stuff if you stay in front... [Big Grin]
still have to worry when your lapping me. lol

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

SWDouglass Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member

Region: NASA So Cal. & CalClub
Car #: 27
Year : 99
Posts: 199
Status: Offline
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SWDouglass     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

P.S. Jonathan would be a good person to talk to about car prep and especially driving! He is perhaps one of the finest drivers we have (easily argued by his brothers).

--------------------
31st in the nation. If I could keep the car on the track and put on the oil cap I could be in the top 20.

   

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: