Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Excessive Gas Tank Pressure

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Excessive Gas Tank Pressure
Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

During my first test day I developed excessive pressure in the gas tank. A small amount of gas collected in the area around the cap. Gas smell in car. Large release of pressure when I slowly removed the cap. Did this at the end of a 20 min. session.

Tank was 1/3rd full. It was a cold day, high temp 43F.

Replaced gas cap. Removed, checked & cleaned rollover valve and vent valve (the metal one next to it). Checked charcoal canister relay. All seem to be OK.

I can't recreate the conditions until the next event so I'd like to be sure it is fixed.

Anything else I should check/replace? Could it have been bad gas/too much ethanol?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like you are super heating your tank with the exhaust. Very dangerous!

Ken Sutherland lost his tailpipe during a race and super heated the tank. The resulting pressure ruptured the fill hose, which immediately filled the car with fumes.

After that someone posted a photo of a T/A car with the same issue that had caught fire.

If you tried to install the SD exhaust with the clamp, get rid of it and get it welded.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hummm, I did swap in an SD over the winter.
Installed with clamp but slit the outer pipe and used two band clamps. It's not going anywhere but it's easy enough to weld it. Also had a Supertrapp on the end but have run it like that with the old system.

Will check it for leaks.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You should get it welded. If you drop wheels and the muffler hits the track, the muffler will get pulled off the end of the pipe. What's left of the exhaust is pointing a the tank. You'll get about two laps before the rubber fuel filler hose in the trunk blows apart from the pressure. Not fun!

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

OK, y'all convinced me. Will weld tonight and check to see if leaks caused the tank to heat up. Don't think that was the problem as the exhaust was very quiet.

Can a faulty fuel pump add pressure to the tank?
Are the rollover and vent valves the only outlet for tank pressure?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am having the same problem, but do have my SD exhaust welded.

Excessive pressure and my fuel gage drops to empy about half-way through the 20 min race. Any other thoughts?

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does your supertrap have the baffle plates on the end? If so, A) they are very restrictive, B) they send the exhaust gases out almost 90 deg to the tailpipe. so if you exhaust end to short, those exhaust gases will be circulating under the car, potentially causing your issue. I'm guessing of course. you said your car was quiet, so I was assuming you might.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Since rear section has a lot of variability in the way it can be installed, it could be the exhaust is riding too high and the pipe itself is heating the tank. I've haven't heard of it with a Miata but I have with an ITA CRX.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll be adding some more reflective adhesive-backed material tonight to the bottom of my gas tank. I've already got it lining the bottom of the trans tunnel and it keeps the interior very cool.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
OK, y'all convinced me. Will weld tonight and check to see if leaks caused the tank to heat up. Don't think that was the problem as the exhaust was very quiet.

I agree it's not your problem. I was just piling on the get it welded for safety thing. [Smile]

Keith's idea of the pipe being too close to the tank would be my best guess for excessive tank pressure.

Good luck!

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dan:
Does your supertrap have the baffle plates on the end?

Dan, Yes it does and yes it is. Been running Supertrapps at Lime Rock for years as it's 89DB there. Kind of like stuffing a banana up your tail pipe. Good thing LRP is not exactly a HP track.

I did, however, remove the directional baffle at the back of the disk pack which would have kept gases from being directed at the trunk. Still, this is well behind the axles and shouldn't affect the tank temp.

But I did enough under there with the exhaust system to blame it rather than a failure of the emission components. I think I will put the old system back on for the test day next week.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Gas gauges don't work in a race car at speed.

They all end up saying "E" as the fuel spends most of its time sloshed to the side of the tank.

Put enough gas in before the race and ignore the gauge, you have faster moving things to worry about.

Motor City Hamilton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:
Since rear section has a lot of variability in the way it can be installed, it could be the exhaust is riding too high and the pipe itself is heating the tank. I've haven't heard of it with a Miata but I have with an ITA CRX.

What is the fix for this within the rules. Exhaust wrap would be the easiest, but that is no longer a grey area. Adding reflective tape or insulation also isn't mentioned in the rules, so wouldn't be legal. My Springfield Dyno exhaust seems to hang right where it should and I'm getting tank pressure, enough to blow fuel past the filler cap.

Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This may seem obvious, but BE CAREFUL WELDING NEAR YOUR GAS TANK!!!!

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

chrisp993 Verified Driver

Car #: 3
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for chrisp993     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just wanted to add to this - last weekend at Putnam, when I attached my fuel test hose (to drain fuel) about a cup of gas spurted out as I completed the connection - car wasn't running, fuel pump wasn't on. Hmmmm. Odd, couldn't figure it out.

Next session I noticed a noise from the exhaust - found that the horizontal hangar just forward of the rear axle had broken and left a hole atop the exhaust, pointing toward the fuel tank. Yowza! Lesson is always root cause I guess .....

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw one of our cars do that squirt a couple weeks ago too. We all commented on it, but didn't check anything -- too busy. Might be a good way to tell something's amiss.

Thanks!

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
quote:
Originally posted by Keith in WA:

What is the fix for this within the rules. Exhaust wrap would be the easiest, but that is no longer a grey area. Adding reflective tape or insulation also isn't mentioned in the rules, so wouldn't be legal. My Springfield Dyno exhaust seems to hang right where it should and I'm getting tank pressure, enough to blow fuel past the filler cap.
Though I see no explicit allowance (the old "no say can, then can't) I believe the approach would be to shield the gas tank since, as you note, wrapping the exhaust is verboten now per GCR. IMnsHlO (not so humble legal), it's allowed as a safety item to specifically protect the fuel from exhaust heat (corrected) exposure.

I guess it would come down to a protest, appeal, then rule clarification for it to properly shake out in the end...

[ 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Brandon F. ]

Irondragon

Region: NER
Car #: 77 SM
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Irondragon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Loosen the fuel cap!!

Motor City Hamilton

quote:
Originally posted by Irondragon:
Loosen the fuel cap!!

And spill even more fuel out the back of the car. Even with my cap tight, fuel get's pushed past the cap seal.

Gold Member

is it pressure caused by pump or ?
Or is it pressure caused by heat? Mabe take the temp of your fuel after a session using the fuel sample port and compare to others.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Or point an infrared pyrometer up at the gas tank. That will give you the temp of the part of the fuel system with the most volume. Wherever you have the most volume, will contribute most to the pressure if everything is the same temp. (It's been more than 15 years but I guess I did learn something in Thermodynamics after all!)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Roger Caddell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Victory Lane Data

Region: Northwest
Car #: #30
Year : 2007
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Roger Caddell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ken SM-94:
You should get it welded. If you drop wheels and the muffler hits the track, the muffler will get pulled off the end of the pipe. What's left of the exhaust is pointing a the tank. You'll get about two laps before the rubber fuel filler hose in the trunk blows apart from the pressure. Not fun!

Ken, I remember that race at Pacific when it happened to you... scared me and I was not in the car!!

--------------------
Thanks!

Roger Caddell

Victory Lane Data - Your Aim Data Acquisition Connection!
Andrew Caddell - Personal Website!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: